deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: cEDH Kess Storm  (Read 1103 times)

Ziabo

• Decks
cEDH Kess Storm
« on: February 20, 2020, 04:43:47 pm »
cEDH Kess Storm

Thousand-Year Kess cEDH Build.
We start the game by cantripping and filtering our deck into our combos/Wincons.
Control the board until we are able to storm off.

We need to get either TYS and/or Aetherflux Reservoir.
The only real Combo we have is
Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter W/  3 Mana worth of Rocks = Infinite Mana
W/ Copy Artifact with the latter combo we can make infinite 2/2s W/ Swan Song Imprinted

Our Wincons:
On to the bread and butter here! TYS | Aetherflux Reservoir | Demonic Consultation|Labman|Labman-Jace.
Demonic Consultation+Labman/Labman-Jace and name Blacker Lotus... Oops...

Tutor Out TYS & Aetherflux Reservoir and storm off.
Once we have one or both of those out we play some fun things.
Past in Flames, Underworld Breach, Finale of Promise and use Kessy and unload your grave ftw.

Let me know what ya'll think!

mtg_kid967

• Decks
Re: cEDH Kess Storm
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 05:08:00 pm »
Increasing confusion might be neat. LIke a draw 2x if you cast a past in flames.

Ziabo

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 05:14:12 pm »
I'm looking for something to replace [[Talrand, Sky Summoner]] with so that might be a good fit!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 05:17:48 pm »
I don't think you need to include Laboratory Maniac. You already have both Jace, Wielder of Mysteries and Thassa's Oracle. You can also drop the mana-costly counterspells; Counterflux and Disallow. You're probably not going to have a lot of mana open by the end of your turn, so your interaction should be 2 mana or less.

Before I go any further I need to know what kind of budget we're working with here. How much are you willing to spend total, and how much are you willing to spend on an individual card?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 05:20:35 pm »
If you're looking for a way to counter activated or triggered abilities, Stifle or Trickbind both cost less than Disallow but they're both narrow in the fact that they only hit abilities and not spells. Morganator or Soren would be better able to say if either are worth running in a cEDH deck.
This space for rent.

Ziabo

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 05:20:55 pm »
Morganator 2.0: Trying not to go over $30 or $40ish unless it's worth it. As for the counters; thought I swapped Counterflux for Pact of Negation. Disallow I like for the versatility it contains
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:29:10 pm by Ziabo »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 05:43:12 pm »
Most cards over $40 are worth it until u hit like $300, then they're just rare.
Nils is the God I worship

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 06:09:25 pm »
They could operate on a complete different price budget than you do. I don't have access to that kind money. Also, hate to be that person, but cards are just small pieces of cardboard. It takes a completely different mindset to spend $40+ consistently on this game.

Ziabo

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 06:41:34 pm »
The way I see is is people will spend $30-$40 a week on upkeep such as nicotine or energy drinks. So this is my "vice" :p

But back to the deck list. I guess RN I'm mainly focused on the Land base. I'm fixing to start a buy list for the upgrades to my current paper deck. Any thoughts on the lands?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:43:24 pm by Ziabo »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 07:13:52 pm »
I can give a more in-depth response later, but for now you want to absolutely get rid of Bojuka Bog, Fetid Pools, Reliquary Tower, and Temple of the False God. Lands that enter tapped will slow you down immensely, and lands that only give colorless can be detrimental. If Strip Mine and Thespian's Stage are meta calls, leave them in. Otherwise, remove them as well.

While we're talking mana, you might also want to swap out Chromatic Lantern and Commander's Sphere for Talisman of Indulgence and Rakdos Signet. In a storm deck every bit of mana efficiency counts. If Chrome Mox is within your budget, get that as well. There is also Helm of Awakening which makes a better choice than Goblin Electromancer.

Ziabo

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 07:33:42 pm »
Reasoning for Bajuka Bog is  for the grave lovers in my personal meta. Helm of Awakening works for everyone is my issue there. Can you explain how that would be better than goblin electromancer please?

And I know Chromatic lantern is slow but I have a personal connection to it. :3

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 07:37:30 pm »
Helm of Awakening discounts your artifacts and allows signets, talismans, etc. to go mana neutral and increase your storm count. Bog is really slow and may not do enough. Tormod's Crypt can be cracked at instant speed and costs 0 mana, increasing your storm count. Taplands in cEDH are generally bad, from what I gather.

Ziabo

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 08:32:30 pm »
honestly never seen  Tormod's Crypt. Def sub in!

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 08:46:05 pm »
Nihil Spellbomb
Soul-Guide Lantern
Relic of Progenitus

Also consider these. While they cost a bit more mana-wise, they can either draw you cards in addition to exiling or can draw as an alternative.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 03:12:26 am »
For grave-hate to be effective, it either needs to be a continuous effect (like Leyline of the Void) or instant-speed (Tormod's Crypt). Sorcery-speed is just bad, and a land that enters tapped is bad. Therefore Bojuka Bog is an all-around bad choice. Tormod's Crypt and Nihil Spellbomb both make good choices for a storm deck. Relic of Progenitus is usually a good choice, but with Kess, Dissident Mage you want to avoid exiling your own graveyard.

Now let's talk storm.

With a storm deck, you aim to have one big explosive turn. In simple terms, this means casting upwards of 20+ spells in one turn. Your spells need to be low-cost, draw more cards, and net mana. If you've tested this deck out, you may have seen this already. Cast High Tide, then cast Frantic Search. You get two new cards, net positive mana, and increase the storm count. Now you just have to keep doing stuff like that for the whole turn, while looking for Aetherflux Reservoir or the Dramatic Scepter combo. If at any point in your combo turn you find you can't keep casting spells, the game is over for you.

So here's the gameplan: Turn 1 and 2 are your setup turns. Use these to play mana ramp and some draw effects (Windfall, Mystic Remora). Turn 3 you're playing Kess. Turn 4 you're going to try to storm off and win. Seeing as how some cards will be out of your price range, turn 5 might be the better turn for you to try and win on, and you can use turn 4 to set-up for that explosive turn.

Let's break down your decklist now.

Mana Ramp
Arcane Signet
Baral, Chief of Compliance
Cabal Ritual
Chromatic Lantern
Commander's Sphere

Copy Artifact
Dark Ritual
Dimir Signet
Fellwar Stone
Goblin Electromancer
High Tide
Izzet Signet
Mana Geyser
Primal Amulet // Primal Wellspring

Sol Ring
Talisman of Creativity
Talisman of Dominance

I've already explained why you should remove Chromatic Lantern, Commander's Sphere, and Goblin Electromancer, so I won't go over it again. Mana Geyser takes a lot of mana to cast, and gives only red; the least desirable color of mana for this deck. Dockside Extortionist will be a good swap. Primal Amulet takes too much of an investment with not enough of a benefit to be worth using. Helm of Awakening is absolutely better. Throw in a Mana Vault and Lotus Petal as well if you can.

Card Draw
Brainstorm
Consecrated Sphinx
Dack Fayden
Faithless Looting
Frantic Search
Gitaxian Probe
Mystic Remora
Narset, Parter of Veils
Notion Thief
Opt
Ponder
Preordain
Rhystic Study
Serum Visions
Sleight of Hand
Thought Scour
Windfall

Consecrated Sphinx gives really good card draw, but it comes out too late to be viable in cEDH. Thought Scour seems like a weird choice to me. There's better card draw you can use. I'm also on the fence about Narset, Parter of Veils. If stopping your opponent's card draw is important in your meta, keep her in. Otherwise, you may as well just use Impulse. You've actually got a really good amount of card draw. The only thing that's really missing is Ad Nauseam and the wheel effects, but those can be expensive.

Storm win-con
Aetherflux Reservoir
Chain of Vapor
Guttersnipe
Increasing Vengeance

Past in Flames
Talrand, Sky Summoner
Thousand-Year Storm
Underworld Breach

Good call on getting rid of Talrand. Guttersnipe can go at the same time. Both of them need to be on the battlefield at the start of the combo turn to be any good, whereas something like Aetherflux Reservoir or Tendrils of Agony can be used at the end of the turn. Instead, Mind's Desire can replace one of them. It doesn't win you the game per se, but I've yet to see a storm deck lose after resolving one. Depending on what you're opponents play you might want Mnemonic Betrayal. It's at least worth testing out. Increasing Vengeance I'm on the fence about. I've never seen it used in a storm deck because it's very situational when you would want to cast it. If you find it works well, keep it in, but think about replacing it with either Rebuild or Paradoxical Outcome.

You might also be surprised to see Chain of Vapor in this section instead of the removal section. That's because in a storm deck you can use it on a mana rock, and then sacrifice a land to target another mana rock. This can really increase your storm count, and with something like Helm of Awakening out, you could net positive mana.

Other win-cons
Demonic Consultation
Dramatic Reversal
Exsanguinate
Finale of Promise

Isochron Scepter
Jace, Wielder of Mysteries
Laboratory Maniac
Thassa's Oracle

Exsanguinate and Finale of Promise in this deck are "dead cards". These are cards that are only good for the combo, and have no use without some other cards in the deck. In this case, they are useless without the Dramatic Scepter combo. You can toss them away.

Tutors
Dark Petition
Demonic Tutor
Increasing Ambition
Merchant Scroll
Mystical Tutor

Increasing Ambition costs a lot of mana, making it impractical. Gamble is the only other budget option I can think of.

Removal and interaction
Abrade
Anger of the Gods
Counterflux
Counterspell
Cyclonic Rift
Disallow
Dreadbore
Jaya's Immolating Inferno
Muddle the Mixture
Narset's Reversal
Negate
Swan Song
Toxic Deluge

Anger of the Gods and Jaya's Immolating Inferno seem like strange choices. If Anger of the Gods is a meta call, keep it in. As for Jaya's, replace it with Fire Covenant. Dreadbore can also go (sorcery-speed). Counterflux can be replaced with Flusterstorm, the more versatile version. If possible, try to replace the 2 mana counterspells with 1 mana versions. Even something like Spell Pierce can be very useful.

One last thing...

Storm decks are very hard to pilot. This really is a case of practice makes perfect. Keep rehearsing the deck and trying out new things. Get a feel for what kinds of starting hands you should keep, and which ones you should mulligan away. If ever you're having difficulties, I know that Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder is an easier storm deck to pilot.