deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: cEDH Kess Storm  (Read 1104 times)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: cEDH Kess Storm
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 03:36:07 am »
Tormod's Crypt and Nihil Spellbomb both make good choices for a storm deck.

Yayy I have received the backup from Morg! I feel justified!

Relic of Progenitus is usually a good choice, but with Kess, Dissident Mage you want to avoid exiling your own graveyard.

That's a solid point. I missed that they were running Kess as their commander (don't ask me how, I don't know) and that Relic hits your own graveyard. Scratch that one.

Mind telling us what deck it is that you need the grave hate for? We might be able to provide some better, more specific hate cards for that strat. I would start out with Tormod's Crypt, as it is instant speed & dirt cheap both mana wise and $$ wise. If you are still encountering graveyard problems even with the Crypt, then consider including Spellbomb.

I only have a few other things to add onto Morg:
Thought Scour: I think this card is perfectly fine, especially in Kess. If your opponent plays a Vampiric Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, etc. you can yeet that poor card right into the grave and draw your own card for just 1 mana. Alternatively, you can mill yourself for 2 and give yourself a few more options with Kess, give a little more fodder for Underworld Breach, or get rid of the 2 cards you put back on top with Brainstorm. Now that I think about it, it's really good with Underworld Breach, wow. Imo, it's a really good card here.

Ad Nauseam: While it is on the expensive side ($14), It is fantastic in low to the ground storm decks such as yours. I definitely think Consecrated Sphinx out for Ad Nauseam will show a major performance difference, especially considering you can find Ad Naus with Mystical Tutor, unlike Sphinx.

Hmm, I think that's about it from me. Morganator pretty much said everything I wanted to say much more elegantly than I would've said it.  :P

Ziabo

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 11:17:09 am »
Thank you all so much for the feedback!

I believe i have what i need here. Will rework the deck and once i get the cards ill be able to play test and see what comes of it!

This site is so much better than tappedout lol

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 02:22:10 pm »
This site is so much better than tappedout lol
HAHA we have smashed the competition into the ground. Deckstats is the only true forum.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 09:14:59 am »
This deck looks really fun. I am totally considering making a Kess deck myself now.
How is Thousand-Year Storm doing for you? I ran it in a deck for a while, but I never wanted to cast it is such a huge mana investment for no immediate return. I would think that it is only worse in cEDH, but I am definitely not a cEDH expert. What about Exsanguinate? Is that playable in cEDH, it seems out of place.

Also, is your playgroup okay with non tournament legal cards? This one in particular: Yawgmoth's Will. I definitely wouldn't call it budget, but $25 isn't too bad. If so, I'd run that over Underworld Breach.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:19:14 am by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Ziabo

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 03:35:45 pm »
I would love Yawgmoths Will.... but honestly I had to sub-out my serum visions because the one I had was the CE version.... 
I actually have not built this version of the deck in paper so haven't really had a true way to play test it so I can't say how TYS works yet.

In the paper version I do have TYS is a great alt wincon or great buffer onto Aetherflux reservoir in a more casual setting though.

But for  cEDH I wanna say it would be to slow to really get going. The more I think about it the more I think I'm gonna drop it sadly.

What would you suggest as a replacement for Exsanguinate I feel that another rock or ritual would be better. You think?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:39:31 pm by Ziabo »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 05:25:48 pm »
You'll probably want Yawg Will and Underworld Breach
Nils is the God I worship

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2020, 05:33:30 pm »
Why not Tendrils of Agony or Grapeshot? Those are classic storm wincons, and it might help to have a backup.

As a side note, if you know anyone who lives in or near Japan, its really easy to get reserved list cards here cheap. I got a copy of Yawgmoth's Will for 1280 yen, which is around 11-12 USD.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2020, 05:38:07 pm »
In order for Grapeshot to win the game, the storm count has to be at 120.

For Tendrils of Agony, the storm count needs to be 60.

For Aetherflux Reservoir, the storm count can be 15.

By the time you could get the storm count to 60 or 120, you've already won the game with Thassa's Oracle and Demonic Consultation anyway.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2020, 05:56:36 pm »
I also just realized that this deck can't run white, so can't have the LED/Auriok Salvagers combo. Does grixis have a combo for infinite storm count (aside from dramatic scepter)? Either way, I plead mercy for posting when I should be sleeping.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 06:32:07 am »
As a side note, if you know anyone who lives in or near Japan, its really easy to get reserved list cards here cheap. I got a copy of Yawgmoth's Will for 1280 yen, which is around 11-12 USD.

Time to move to Japan. Domo arigatogozaimashita. That's all the japanese I know.

Um to replace Exsanguniate. Umm, anything really that helps the game plan of the deck, which exsanguinate definitely does not do. Mizzix's Mastery? It could almost double your storm count if overloaded, but 8 mana is a lot. Maybe a 1 mana cantrip? What about Treasonous Ogre? Although it does kind of hurt the idea of storming with Aetherflux Reservoir since you pay life. Cabal Ritual would probably be the best replacement I can think of.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Ziabo

• Decks
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2020, 11:30:05 pm »
Want to buy me a plane ticket? :)

the ogre is pretty heavy and 3 for 1 is a hefty price to pay.

I subbed Exsanguate out of rakdos signet.

I was looking into some more mana rocks or cantrips and signet was the only thing I could find :/

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 03:55:35 am »
If you're looking for more mana rocks, Chrome Mox isn't terribly expensive (I think around 30 USD?) and while Mind Stone doesn't net you mana, it will help the scepter combo and can draw you a card.

Ziabo

• Decks
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 09:02:39 pm »
Chrome mox is actually a little over $50 usd :(

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 09:28:12 pm »
You can get a lightly played Spanish Chrome Mox for $33 usd on TCGPlayer.
This space for rent.