deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Hoppin Out of My Comfort Zone with Kess Storm (Would Love Some Help)  (Read 1012 times)

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
Re: Hoppin Out of My Comfort Zone with Kess Storm (Would Love Some Help)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 08:59:35 pm »
I kind of skimmed over the other replies and skipped to the last revision of your deck because I have class in a few moments. My professor is actually like 5 feet away from me explaining something to another student. I would've had more time if I didn't have other threads to respond to.

Have you tried Unwind/Rewind to stop people who try to stop you from going off, while adding to your storm count and essentially being free? I know 4 mana investment is steep even if you do get it back right after, but 3 mana is doable. I'd definitely consider unwind at least.

Also, no infinite combos because they are too powerful for your playgroup, but I have found if you have 3+ card combo, it isn't too overpowered for a more competitive (but still casual) playgroup. Like I had infinite goblins with Krenko, Mob Boss, Skirk, Fire Marshall and Aggravated Assault. It wasn't a reliable way to win and didn't even know I could do that until I had all the pieces on the board. If you have enchantment OR creature removal at instant speed, it fizzles out.

With that thought in mind, what about adding copy artifact to make infinite swans with isochron scepter and dramatic reversal and swan song?

Now my classmate is showing me what my professor just told him. Shit class starts in one minute. Bye.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 09:21:00 pm »
I considered copy artifact until I realized its hefty $30 price tag. Oof. Honestly, if I wanted to spend over $10 on a card, I'd just buy Ad Nauseam and call it a day.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 06:22:25 pm »
So I found that Isochron Scepter casts the imprinted spell, which means that cards as simple as Guttersnipe, Electostatic Field, and Thermo-Alchemist can win the game. Therefore, Aetherflux Reservoir and Thousand-Year Storm are unnecessary and can be replaced. Otherwise, I took out High Tide, as I don't think I have enough islands nor the need for its mana as much anymore. Notion Rain is very solid, so I decided to add that too.

I have some questions about other inclusions, though. Aria of Flame takes 17-18 spells to win the game, but it doesn't need them all to be cast in one turn. On the other hand, it is susceptible to removal and gives my opponents' 10 free life. Do you think it deserves a slot?

I did some research into Doomsday piles, and obviously it would take a few slots (Gush, Night's Whisper, Predict, Laboratory Maniac, etc.) but is it worth it here? Considering the competitive level of my playgroup and considering how Doomsday piles need to be an auto win (life loss, small library), I'm thinking not.

As usual, tell me what you think! Thanks!

Revision 8

Added/removed cards:
-1 Aetherflux Reservoir
-1 High Tide
-1 Ral, Storm Conduit
-1 Thousand-Year Storm
+1 Electrostatic Field
+1 Guttersnipe
+1 Notion Rain
+1 Thermo-Alchemist

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 09:03:55 pm »
You could always do a doomsday pile like brainstorm, isochron scepter, dramatic reversal and guttersnipe with I dunno a counterspell too. You dont have to use doomsday and lab man, but you can use it essentially as a tutor to get all your combo pieces in one place and then storm off with infinite casts.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 10:53:36 pm »
I'm onto you, Morg*. That Doomsday pile does seem interesting, but BBB is too prohibitive for my budget land base. Additionally, it seems mana intensive. BBB for Doomsday + U for Brainstorm + 2 for Isochron Scepter + 2 for Electrostatic Field + I need 2 mana rocks already on the field. Hmm. I could reinclude Dark Ritual & Cabal Ritual and include Dark Petition, but I dunno. I might give it a try.

Edit: I never removed the Rituals. Interesting. I'll try it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:57:06 pm by GolgariFTW »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 11:01:27 pm »
Because I already had the rituals in there and Helm and Breach already needed to go out, I decided to pop in Doomsday & Dark Petition. Seems like it could be fun.

Revision 9

Added/removed cards:
-1 Helm of Awakening
-1 Underworld Breach
+1 Dark Petition
+1 Doomsday

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 11:43:08 pm »
Because I already had the rituals in there and Helm and Breach already needed to go out, I decided to pop in Doomsday & Dark Petition. Seems like it could be fun.

Revision 9

Added/removed cards:
-1 Helm of Awakening
-1 Underworld Breach
+1 Dark Petition
+1 Doomsday

With doomsday, make sure you know exactly what your pile is. I have a zur doomsday deck that is semi voltron. I use Zur to fetch stax pieces and then build him up to kill everyone. If we are player our higher powered decks, I use the doomsday combo, and I don't do the latter part enough to ever remember the pile. Don't be like Morganator 2.0
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 01:10:09 am »
As I make this comment, I realize I'm triple posting. Ah well, I'm sure Morg* won't care. I added a 2nd pile I might take out simply because of how competitive it is. I dunno. The token producers just felt meh, vulnerable, and slow.

Edit: Why is Doomsday so harddddd...

Revision 10

Added/removed cards:
-1 Docent of Perfection // Final Iteration
-1 Talrand, Sky Summoner
-1 Young Pyromancer
+1 Predict
+1 Thassa's Oracle
+1 Unearth
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:54:01 am by GolgariFTW »

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 01:53:20 am »
I guess we're just ignoring my post between your last one and the double post before it?
Hence the triple post?
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 01:55:08 am »
Oh I figured that even though your post was in between, all my posts were on the same topic and very close time-wise to each other.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 02:21:13 am »
Oh I figured that even though your post was in between, all my posts were on the same topic and very close time-wise to each other.

You're lucky I like you.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2020, 02:31:56 pm »
I've done a lot of thinking about what I want this deck to do and how well I want it to do it. If I do end up purchasing it, it will be replacing the most casual of my decks, my Kumena deck. My other two (in my sig) are pretty strong, so adding a Kess Doomsday deck is not where I want to be. Also, after testing it a few times, it just kept stalling and topdecking, even with Doomsday. So, both to lower the speed/competitivity of this deck, I added back in my favorite of the token makers and a couple more draw spells.

Edit: I intentionally left Unearth in, as it can be cantripped early game and cast from the gy to get back a Guttersnipe, Young Pyromancer, etc.

Revision 11

Added/removed cards:
-1 Cabal Ritual
-1 Dark Petition
-1 Dark Ritual
-1 Predict
-1 Thassa's Oracle
+1 Discovery // Dispersal
+1 Docent of Perfection // Final Iteration
+1 Read the Bones
+1 Talrand, Sky Summoner
+1 Young Pyromancer