deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What are we hoping for in Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths?  (Read 1189 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
What are we hoping for in Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths?
« on: March 06, 2020, 05:40:40 pm »
With Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths set to release in about a month and a half, what are we hoping for in the set?

My usual wish is for zombies but I somehow doubt we'll see many, if any, in this set. My next hope would be an awesome new Hydra.
This space for rent.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: What are we hoping for in Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 06:17:54 pm »
Mostly commander stuff. I hope I get new toys for Kumena, Ezuri, and Alesha. I also hope for more low to the ground commanders that have interesting, yet well-supported design space, as I'm getting pretty bored . I would love to see the finishing of the battleland cycle, the battlebond cycle, the shadowland cycle, or a reprint of the older fastlands.

Outside of commander, less broken cards. THB hasn't been much better than other recent sets with the powercreep (lookin' at you Thassa's Oracle, Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, and Underworld Breach), and it's getting tiring. There will probably be a few bans in Pioneer on Monday, which is annoying.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 06:24:45 pm »
The return of lairs (Treva's Ruins). Preferably ones that don't have the bounce effect this time around.

The flavor of this set is also supposed to be creating your own creatures. That sounds like Host+Augment to me (as seen on Half-Squirrel Half- and Angelic Rocket). It would be funny, but super unlikely, as un-sets are supposed to showcase mechanics that will never be printed.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 06:25:34 pm »
The Battle lands I imagine would be finished in the next Zendikar. That's the set after Ikoria and the partial cycle we have now were in the last Zendikar set.
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 06:57:10 pm »
Weird and unlikely as it is, I'd love some sort of 18th century whaling references.

It's one of the periods of history I find most fascinating and I'd love to see things like whaling ships (vehicles), harpoons (equipment) and a big mythic white whale.

I'd also love it if there was some stuff on things like wrecks and solitude and cannibalism and all that kind of stuff. The intensity of the voyages and the strain the people went under while on them. Think Moby Dick and the Whaleship Essex that inspired it.

I mean, it's definitely way too niche a period of history to be depicted in a magic set, but if it was ever going to happen, a set about behemoths could be it.

And yea, fine, put in some good commander cards too because why not.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 07:54:29 pm »

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 08:01:29 pm »
Yea, not gonna lie, I enjoyed that part of Kaladesh way more than I should have.

Doesn't go quite deep enough for me though. I need more. More whales, more harpoons, more everything.

I want a full Captain Ahab commander deck with a Pequod and white whale and everything. I'd probably be the only one who liked it, but my god would I like it.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 02:11:54 am »
Couldn't you make a whaling ship out of the Weatherlight? The crew don't quite match up, but you could probably stretch things to get Ahab, Ishmael, Starbuck, Queequeg, and a couple of others, especially if you don't restrict things to same sex and use both the older and newer Weatherlight crews. Either Killer Whale, Long-Finned Skywhale, Great Whale, or Colossal Whale (or all of them). Could be your Moby Dick. You'd be in rainbow, so cards like Dockside Extortionist and some of the other pirates could fit right in.

EDIT: I forgot; you can use Surestrike Trident, Shadowspear, or another spear/trident for a harpoon stand-in.

I'm not sure you could find everything you want, but seems pretty doable to me. (Also, I now want to build an Admiral Beckett Brass pirate tribal treasures matter deck).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 02:13:25 am by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 08:42:38 am »
I actually did build that deck and it was remarkably similar to what you described. Admiral Beckett Brass was the commander, had one of the Ixalan ships, Stormtide Leviathan, surestrike trident.

In the end though it was exactly as you described. The references were just a little too far off. It felt a bit disjointed and disconnected from the subject matter. It was kind of fun but the theme wasn't all that apparent so I ended up retiring it. I'd still love to come back to it though if some more relevant stuff came along.

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 10:45:27 am »
Some dummy thicc dinosaurs would be nice. We did get spoiled with Ixalan block, but the child inside is screaming for more dinosaurs.

The set seems very Monster Hunter in flavour, so it would be cool to see some sort of people versus the big creatures subplot. Maybe this could be represented by equipment cards that have special benefits if the equipped creature is attacking into or blocking a bigger creature? Maybe to counter that there are some auras that gain benefits in the opposite scenario?

I do hope we get some 3, 4, or even 5 colour legendary creatures. Maybe that will be more likely in the Commander decks, so I guess that increases the chances. Though that wouldn't "play well" with the recent focus on mono devotion with Theros.

A black bordered Squirrel. We can say it ate something that enlarged it like Might Of Oaks from Urza's Legacy.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 10:50:01 am by HowlingLotus »
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 07:25:20 pm »
I do hope we get some 3, 4, or even 5 colour legendary creatures. Maybe that will be more likely in the Commander decks, so I guess that increases the chances. Though that wouldn't "play well" with the recent focus on mono devotion with Theros.

We went to Tarkir, which was wedge themed, right after going to Theros the first time.
This space for rent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 08:48:01 pm »
So with spoiler season about a week away, any specific ideas on what we're wanting now?

I've thought about it and I'm hoping for a Zombie Beast with a really cool LTB effect (no idea what) or maybe a new Zombie lord.

Anyone else have anything specific you're wanting?
This space for rent.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 09:57:14 pm »
I am still waiting for my cmc 2 or less goblin construct creature

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 10:43:17 pm »
Fire-belly changeling is a goblin construct at CMC 2.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 11:00:26 pm »
Universal Automaton does it for 1. Any deck too.