deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How's life?  (Read 13637 times)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: How's life?
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2020, 06:18:04 pm »
My school is run by a bunch of monkeys, to put it simply. I managed to get all of my classes except one (to get credit for it, I would have to do hands-on work, which I can't do from home), which was nice, though. My teachers seem to be doing either extremely well or basically ignoring online (either because they don't really care or because they don't understand how all this works). I'm definitely lucky in that my more difficult classes that give me college credit if I do well (such as AP or CLEP) have teachers that are on top of everything.

WWolfe, that sounds tough. I can't imagine having a kid going to a dorm with all that's going on, and trying to get younger kids to actually pay attention online and do their work sounds like absolute hell. Good luck with that. :l

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2020, 06:55:48 pm »
I'm definitely lucky in that my more difficult classes that give me college credit if I do well (such as AP or CLEP)

Now I feel old.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2020, 09:41:34 pm »
I'm definitely lucky in that my more difficult classes that give me college credit if I do well (such as AP or CLEP)

Now I feel old.
What? Are you talking about not having those types of classes when you were in school?

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2020, 06:46:24 pm »
Trying to organize game stores to run events safely is proving to be a challenge. We're pretty sure we've got a solid setup now, but I'm still skeptical. I've learned that whenever you make something idiot proof, the universe sends a bigger idiot. And that is not something we can tolerate in a pandemic. Tuesday is the first commander night in 6 months, and we've got a bunch of safety measures in place. I'll let you know how it goes.

A lot of people in my playgroup are still worried about going out, so I'm trying to also set up play over Discord. I got to try out webcam play for the first time. Man does it suck. Mic problems, losing connection, not being able to read cards, and a load of other problems. Why everyone wanted this over Cockatrice is beyond me.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2020, 07:47:49 pm »
A lot of people in my playgroup are still worried about going out, so I'm trying to also set up play over Discord. I got to try out webcam play for the first time. Man does it suck. Mic problems, losing connection, not being able to read cards, and a load of other problems. Why everyone wanted this over Cockatrice is beyond me.
Resolving certain things on CT is also a pain in the butt. Anything that involves looking at the top of your library is really painful. But it's still better than dying.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2020, 11:40:11 am »
I got to try out webcam play for the first time. Man does it suck. Mic problems, losing connection, not being able to read cards, and a load of other problems. Why everyone wanted this over Cockatrice is beyond me.

This is super interesting. Personally, I've found webcam way more preferable to any digital platform. Mic problems and connection issues haven't been a problem for my group which probably helps this, but ultimately I prefer just because it is so much more intuitive and instinctive. The gameplay just feels a lot smoother, more natural and much more like an actual game of magic. Not being able to look at opponents cards is the biggest issue, but if communication is good (and I'm lucky enough that it is in my group), this is a small hurdle to overcome and in my opinion a much more preferable issue to have than the amount of busywork required to play on magic sims.

Whatever form it takes though, playing some magic is better than playing no magic at all, and like MustaKotka says, it's better than the alternative and all worth it to stay safe.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2020, 08:08:45 pm »

Now I feel old.
What? Are you talking about not having those types of classes when you were in school?

No, I was just somehow under the impression that we were of a similar age. Turns out I was wrong by close to a decade, I'm guessing.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2020, 08:13:50 pm »
So a college 15 minutes from my sons college just reported nearly 200 virus cases. These kids all shop in the same stores and eat at the same restaurants.
This space for rent.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2020, 11:57:41 pm »
My high school has reported 2 new Covid cases yesterday and 3 more today. I know enough about exponential functions to know where this is going. Glad I decided against going in-school at all!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2020, 04:52:53 am »
So a college 15 minutes from my sons college just reported nearly 200 virus cases.

That is more cases than in my city right now. Stay safe.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2020, 04:58:48 am »
So a college 15 minutes from my sons college just reported nearly 200 virus cases.

That is more cases than in my city right now. Stay safe.

You'll love this then. University of Alabama has more than 1,000 cases since the first day of classes on the 19th.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2020/08/28/covid-cases-university-of-alabama/5662754002/

ETA- link
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 05:02:03 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2020, 02:17:59 pm »
So what's new with everyone? Because I just had to shut down the commander event that I worked so hard to set up. Elementary and high schools opened up with absolutely no plan for Covid-19 protection, so now cases are spiking here. While nothing official has been announced yet, I have contacts that say the government is going to begin shutting down high-traffic areas like restaurants and bars. Things will slowly begin to shut down as we go back into quarantine.

I mean, I saw this coming and made plans to shut down the commander event in case something exactly like this happened, but it still sucks that it did.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2020, 03:21:17 pm »
Our school gave us the option of going hybrid (2 days in-school, 3 days virtual) or completely virtual. If you wanted to go in, you had to wear masks and there was 6 foot distancing. Still, there was an outbreak (cases in the double digits) and everybody had to go home for a couple weeks. We are back again, though, for better or worse (definitely worse, though). There's been some murmurings that we should go virtual 100% of the time because of how disruptive going from hybrid + virtual -> just virtual has been for the hybrid students & teachers (I did the smart thing and went virtual, so nothing changed for me haha).

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2020, 12:00:36 pm »
My son ended up coming home from college because of the number of cases on campus. They gave the students the options for distance learning and he took it.

My daughters school ended up doing virtual learning for the first semester and are going to decide about the second semester before it starts.
This space for rent.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2020, 12:21:27 pm »
I've got long distance studies as well. Nothing else to report. Number of cases are on the rise...
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/