deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Nekuzar : wheel / specter discard sub theme  (Read 274 times)

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: Nekuzar : wheel / specter discard sub theme
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 12:27:33 am »
This deck is a little confusing. You're running OG duals, but you also have cards like Vivid Marsh, Bojuka Bog, and Diabolic Tutor. If you're dropping ~$400 for a Volcanic Island, why would you have these discount cards, too? There are several cards that should be replaced before adding duals if you want to get the most out of your money.

Also, why Niv-Mizzet, Parun? UUURRR will be very hard for you to cast in 3 colors.

Finally, you have two copies of Dictate of Kruphix.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Dlivez

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 01:09:42 am »
Niv

vivid marsh compensates for lacking colored mana if I fail to draw mana rock or tutor one.
This does in fact make niv-mizzet harder to cast, but the combo of curiosity is one that I particularly like due to the advantage it gives me to combo mill myself and another person as long as I have reliquary tower and draw dmg out. (No one but myself plays price of knowledge besides me)
since I am running less lands than most prefer, It’s saved my ass to earn a spot in this deck for me.

overlooked the 2nd card dictate of kruphix
(Thank you for pointing this out!)😅

DLivez

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 04:13:04 am »
I understand the utility of Vivid Marsh, but it's a bad land. It invariably enters tapped and only makes any color of mana twice unless you can proliferate, which this deck can't. People usually run Vivid Marsh as a budget land when they can't afford better, but your deck has fetchlands and OG duals, so it doesn't make sense here. Same with Bojuka Bog, Temple of the False God, the bounce lands, etc... If you want a budget mana base, cut out the fetch lands and duals. If you want an optimized mana base, you should cut out the cheap bad lands and replace them with shocks (Steam Vents), good any-color lands (Mana Confluence, City of Brass), and utility lands that don't enter tapped.

Again, with Niv-Mizzet, why not just run Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind? It combos with Curiosity, but is easier to cast. The version you're currently running doesn't seem to be worth the awkward mana cost.

Outside of the mana base, you also have plenty of other cards that you should upgrade before using duals. OG dual lands are probably the last thing that you should upgrade to, given that they are incredibly expensive for the added utility they provide. On the other hand, you're running cards like Diabolic Tutor and Magus of the Jar. Both of those cards have better, but more expensive, versions that you should use before spending several hundred dollars on a land. (For the record, Vampiric Tutor and Memory Jar.) I'm not saying this to criticize your deck building skills as much as to save you money. Why spend a ton of money to make your deck slightly better when you could spend half as much to make it much better?
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.