deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Abzan Toolbox  (Read 159 times)

dexflux

• Decks
[Modern] Abzan Toolbox
« on: April 07, 2020, 08:32:25 pm »
Abzan Toolbox

I'm mostly playing around with the idea of having a powerful toolbox enabled by Fiend Artisan and powered by Aether Vial. Lurrus is fancy recursion and always in our starting hand. Sideboard is up to debate, as I'm unsure whether I can use Lurrus as a companion *and* permanents with cmc greather than 2 in game two or three.

In hindsight (aka while typing this) Tarmogoyf may be a mediocre choice, since the deck is mostly creatures. I could probably use some fancy one-offs, such as Cryptbreaker, since it can fuel our Fiend Artisan quite nicely. I'd love to include choices like Kami of False Hope to drag the game out against aggressive decks or Dryad Militant to combat flashback and similar mechanics. Maybe Auriok Champion in the sideboard against burn? I'd like to know if Thoughtseize would be worth it (in the maindeck), although it probably is.

As for how to win, I want to disrupt the enemy while using a toolbox to do so until I can overwhelm with my ever growing creatures.

Giver of Runes protects those from removal, Dark Confidant and Aether Vial keep our creatures coming, while Fiend Artisan uses surgical precision to unfold its nighmarish properties onto the battlefield. Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is good disruption on a decent body that doesn't hit us as hard as it does our opponents. Kitesail Freebooter is disruption that comes with an evasive body and can easily be sacrificed to my love, the nightmare. Tarmogoyf, Hexdrinker and, incidentally, Fiend Artisan are our fat boys of doom soonTM.

Path to Exile is premier removal. Even with a Thalia out, 1W is kind of ok for what we get with it.

The manabase just exists, but fastlands should suffice alongside horizonlands and some basics.

I'd like to hear some thoughts from players who know more about Modern than I do. It's of course aimed at being a FNM deck (after the pandemic), but if it got what it takes to take to the top, I won't complain. Shred me!

Edit: ups, deutsches Forum.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:34:54 pm by dexflux »