deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How to submit a primer  (Read 13057 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
How to submit a primer
« on: April 13, 2020, 05:44:49 pm »
Please post your new primers to the "New Primers" subforum. Think of this as a proving ground. If you made a good primer, then a moderator will bump it up to the "Primers" parent forum. To get promoted, the primer needs to adhere to the following criteria.
  • Relevance: The primer should be about a major archetype/commander that will be of interest to many readers.
  • Quality: The primer should be well-written, have a clear layout and provide clear reasoning for the arguments and conclusions it makes. Be sure to do a spelling and grammar check.
  • Completeness: The primer should cover all important aspects about the deck and answer all the questions a reasonable reader might have.

The real time-consuming part is that third point. The primer will go through scrutiny from other Deckstats users. People will ask questions, mostly about why certain cards are not included, but other questions as well. The onus is on the author of the primer to answer these questions and incorporate them into the primer if necessary.

Generally, primers should have at least the following sections:

Deck game-plan and strategy
How the deck wins
Single card discussion

Optional:

Introduction on the deck and why to play it
Starting hand selection
Frequently asked questions
Deck strengths and weaknesses
Good vs. bad matchups
Meta adjustments and flex slots
Budget options
Changelog

Important: When writing your primer, it is best if you write it out in the deck description using markdown code. When you go to post it to New Primers, add #show_description to the end of the deck's URL. The next post in this thread gives a quick summary of Markdown. Send me a PM if you have questions.

If your primer can stand up to criticism and is well written, a moderator will move it to the official Primers forum. If you feel like this is taking too long, send a message to either myself or WWolfe, and we'll update you on progress. You can also message me if you want me to look for spelling or grammar mistakes, but only after you have done a check for mistakes yourself. I recommend reading it out loud, and if it sounds wrong, it probably is.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:45:19 pm by Morganator 2.0 »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: How to submit a primer
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 02:34:32 am »
For a full description of using Markdown, check out the Markdown reference or Github's guide to mastering Markdown. I'm just going to go over the most frequent code you'll be using when making primers. Code is displayed in bold.

Heading: (#) The pound symbol is for a header. Doing two of this makes a sub-header. Three makes a sub-sub-header, all the way to a max of 6.

Collapsible Heading: (#>) Adding this symbol turns the header into a collapsible section. This also works for sub-headers.

Italics: (* *) Typing something between one set of asterisks italicizes it.

Bold: (** **) Typing something between two sets of asterisks makes it bold.

Bullet point: (* ) A single asterisk and then a space makes a bullet point for a list. The space is important.

Table: So this one is harder to show, but it uses the pipe (|) and hyphens (-). Just look in the example to see how it works.

What it looks like typed out:

#Example

#>Expanded Section

* Start of list
* **Bold**
* *Italics*

##>Subsection

Basic Table | Heading
-|-
Cell 1 | Cell 2
Cell 3 | Cell 4

#>Collapsed section