deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Easter Eggs  (Read 8588 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Easter Eggs
« on: April 22, 2020, 05:30:11 pm »
Easter was about a week ago so this is unfortunately coming a week late. I've always seen chatter on other sites about hidden surprises found in MTG cards, but not on Deckstats. That's about to change. There are loads of Easter Eggs so if you know of any, add it to this thread. Here are some of my favorites.

• The artwork for Precinct Captain and the RTR soldier token is supposed to be the same scene from different angles.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Easter Eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 05:34:18 pm »
Those are all neat.

The one difference I notice in the Precinct Captain one is in one card the soldier is holding the sword, in the other it's not.

This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 05:43:55 pm »
For me, it's these little attentions to detail that turn MTG from a good game to a superb one. Not necessary in the slightest, but oh so satisfying.

Another one I remember fondly from recent memory is that Charming Prince can rescue your creature from being Trapped in the Tower.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 09:15:54 pm »
Did some digging and found a few others you might like.

• Dreamcatcher has the dreams of other planes in the background. Namely slivers, although the implications of this conflicts with the MTG timeline.
  • The Masterpiece art for Extraplanar Lens shows the Approach of the Second Sun on it; a card that, at the time, hadn't been released.

• Here's a really cool puzzle. The tokens from eternal masters had words running along the edges. You need a whole bunch of tokens to be arranged to solve the puzzle, which ended up being a preview for Conspiracy: Take the Crown. The message read in one direction was told by Queen Marchesa, instructing her new subjects that she is the queen now. Read in a different direction revealed a message from Adriana, Captain of the Guard, urging the people to resist Marchesa's rule.
  • The artist Robert Bliss is known for including phallic imagery in his work. As a result, later printings of Polymorph had the art cropped.
  • Goblin Charbelcher is launching a Black Lotus.
  • Treasure Nabber managed to nab a Sol Ring. Makes sense, considering that this card was released in a commander set.
  • One of the swamps from Eventide is shown in Flame Jab, but completely on fire.
  • There are a lot of cards that reference people's names in various ways, like their initials (Jayemdae Tome), short name (Mons's Goblin Raiders), or name spelled backwards (Nevinyrral's Disk). The most recent card to do this is Gavi, Nest Warden.
  • Flame Wave has a dude surfing on it.
  • Relic Ward and Natural Order are two parts of the same flavor text.
  • Speaking of flavor text, Spread the Sickness references Fecundity.
  • Alex Horley-Orlandelli decided to include their name on the side of the coffin in Disentomb.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:04:55 pm by Morganator 2.0 »

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 04:35:42 am »
I wouldn't really call them Easter eggs, but one of the reasons I always liked New Phyrexia was that it showed various cards from Mirrodin in they're compleated versions. (E.g. Blightsteel Colossus is a compleated Darksteel Colossus, Etched Monstrosity is a compleated Etched Champion.)
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 03:21:24 pm »
All the regular frame basic lands from the Unsanctioned box set have squirrels hidden in them in an abstract kind of way.
Happy Brewing!
:)

dexflux

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 09:41:55 am »
Iroas's Blessing is a clear sign that even Magic isn't save from memes and anime. Compare its artwork to this:

JoJo references in Magic: The Gathering. What a time to be alive.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 03:33:43 pm »
Are you sure that's a Jojo reference? The only thing those really have in common is the perspective.

dexflux

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 04:27:40 pm »
Are you sure that's a Jojo reference? The only thing those really have in common is the perspective.

I'm not perfectly sure, but the meme and JoJo are pretty well known, so it's not exactly farfetched to assume. Anime has become mainstream and WotC asked about it in their surveys. Maybe I could mail the artist to make sure.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 12:03:54 am »
I feel like there is a problem when I misread Carnivorous Death Parrot as Coronavirus Death Parrot.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 12:14:14 am »
I think the cabin fever is getting to you, baby.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 01:10:16 pm »
Found one by accident: you can see a Phyrexian Tower in the background of Xantcha, Sleeper Agent.

Also, in Unwind, I'm pretty sure Jhoira is holding the modern masters version of Timetwister.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 08:33:52 am by Slyvester12 »

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 01:23:20 am »
I never knew timetwister was something you hold like that. I always just assumed it was like some sort of vortex or something. I guess it does make sense that it is an object that lets the user twist time.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 07:52:10 pm »
Found some more.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 07:33:32 pm »