deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca | Merfolk Tribal - PRIMER  (Read 3780 times)

TropicalBoi

• Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica
  • Decks
Re: Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca | Merfolk Tribal - PRIMER
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 10:11:36 pm »
That is insane! I love merfolk, and I've been thinking of making a deck myself. Thanks for the inspiration! Love all the synergy you have built into your deck, but I do think it revolves around the commander a bit too much. Maybe add in more things that allow your merfolk to tap (I know you already have a couple Cryptolith Rite etc.). Either way, it is a homerun in my books. Great job mate.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 11:54:28 pm »
Thank you for the kind words! If you do end up building a Merfolk deck of your own, feel free to post it here if you want any advice.

It definitely is more of a build around type of deck, but I run an absurd amount of cards that can protect Kumena so I haven't had too many problems with him getting removed several times.

I went ahead and did a bunch of Scryfall searches, and I found that there honestly aren't that many good effects like Kumena. Very few of the Merfolk I play gain benefit from being tapped and untapped. Most of the payoff is unfortunately frontloaded onto Kumena.
I found a couple of good effects, but none of them really worked out:
Earthcraft - $50
Mothdust Changeling - Actually deserves a look. I love my 1 mana Merfolk, and this is nice. I think it doesn't do enough, though.
Opposition - Also nice. Could be especially useful in pods where attacking with big stompy creatures is a big factor into winning.

Thanks for piquing my imagination! I just think that the archetype of tapping your creatures isn't well supported with enough creatures that care about being tapped (like Fallowsage) or enough outlets that care about tapping creatures (like Kumena). I would honestly rather pack more protection for Kumena than other subpar, Kumena-like effects.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 02:54:22 am »
The primer is very well written, and goes into a lot of detail about the tactics and strategy of this deck. I would like to see the notable exclusions part beefed up a little, mostly because "Why is ____ not in the deck?" one of the most frequent questions. A lot of these cards I can see the reason for not including, but it's still worth it to include in the primer.

My first question is about the exclusion of Cold-Eyed Selkie. Your reasoning was that an attack-based approach conflicts with desire to tap your Merfolk. Yet you've also included lord effects and Thada Adel, Acquisitor; both of which are attack-based. Cold-Eyed Selkie is also effectively a card per turn on it's own, more when combined with Kumena's 3rd ability and the lord effect. Could you justify this exclusion a little more?

You also excluded Hardened Scales and a lot of +1/+1 cards, which makes sense, but what about Metallic Mimic? This card gives a small buff, much like a lot of the lord effects, and doubles as a merfolk.

Empress Galina seems like a good way of keeping more than one opponent away from their commander, and she works well with all the untap effects this deck boasts. Any reason for excluding her?

I can think of a reason for excluding Kindred Summons, but I want to hear your reason. Would it or would in not do well in this deck?

I imagine that due to budget reasons Gaea's Cradle, Force of Will, Force of Negation, and Force of Vigor are excluded. Am I correct? And if not, why are they excluded?

Distant Melody always seemed like good card draw for tribal decks. Is it not needed in this deck? While I'm talking about tribal cards, what are your reasons for excluding Cavern of Souls and Path of Ancestry?

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 03:03:38 pm »
When making my exclusions list, I was really just going through his EDHRec page and picking cards that seem good but I don't want to include. My plan was to respond to people's questions about certain cards, as it is almost impossible for me to predict every single card a prospective Kumena player might want to incude. I will add those cards, and any other cards upon request, to my Notable Exclusions section.

Edit: Added the cards you mentioned to the exclusions section and added a section for cards I'm currently testing/considering.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 03:44:46 pm by WizardSpartan »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 12:29:47 am »
I'm satisfied with the way this primer is written. A promotion is in order.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 04:17:17 am »
King Baby over here kicking some ass with the primers. I like the drop down things to hide the sections, I am going to have to figure that one out.

Love you boo
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 05:48:55 pm »
Love you too babyyyy

I commented on your primer with a link for how to work markdown, including the drop down sections. Should help you figure stuff out.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 07:41:15 pm »
Love you too babyyyy

I commented on your primer with a link for how to work markdown, including the drop down sections. Should help you figure stuff out.

I missed that! I'll look at it.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 09:06:23 am »
Thanks for your extensive primer!

I'm a big fan of tribal decks. So I'll read up on your Ezuri primer as well.

The lesson learned here (and from playing with friends) is that I put too many 'on theme cards' in my decks and don't have room for enough removal, mana generation and other cards to keep the deck running smoothly.

I plan to use many cards from my Tuvasa merfolk enchantress deck in a new Sisay, wheatherlight captain Shrine tribal deck. It looked so much fun, so I'm trying to pull that of, mostly with cards i allready have and all the available shrines. The merfolk part of the Tuvasa deck can go in either a Kumena, tyrant of Orazca or a Syg, River Guide deck. Because I don't have a Azorius deck and a couple of more green based decks I'm planning on a Syg deck. I'll see how I can get it a more voltron style deck.

When I have decided what deck i'm going to build I'll be sure to check for advice.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 06:48:16 pm »
The lesson learned here (and from playing with friends) is that I put too many 'on theme cards' in my decks and don't have room for enough removal, mana generation and other cards to keep the deck running smoothly.
I like 25 members of a tribe as a baseline. Some tribal decks will definitely want more, and some may want a little less (although below 20 may not be the best idea). It all depends on how all in on the tribe you are going. My deck is decently weighted towards tribal strategies, but I do compromise on a few merfolk to give me more options for interaction.

I actually suggest building the skeleton of your deck (lands, ramp, card advantage, removal) before adding in the themed cards. Also, prioritize cards that fit within your theme but also provide an effect useful to the skeleton of your deck (ex. Kiora's Follower ramps me but is also a Merfolk that can tap for various other effects once I no longer need the mana). As long as you don't go overboard with the skeleton of your deck, you should have space for themed cards.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 02:46:20 am »
Just to let people know, I will be adding a section to the changelog of my primer every time a new set is released (starting with Zendikar Rising) discussing what cards caught my eye at first glance and which cards I ultimately decided to add. As always, if you have a question or want my opinion on a card I didn't mention in the changelog, feel free to ask!