deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: 5 new basic lands for secret lair drop 29.99  (Read 938 times)

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
5 new basic lands for secret lair drop 29.99
« on: April 24, 2020, 10:28:49 pm »
ANNOUNCING SECRET LAIR DROP SERIES: THE GODZILLA LANDS  May7th
Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
This space for rent.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: 5 new basic lands for secret lair drop 29.99
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 11:25:17 pm »
It's not super clear, but is it one copy of each basic? If so, that's ridiculously expensive. Wow. 5 basic lands for $30.

The art is awesome (that Forest pog) but I feel like that almost nobody will buy them. You could get 3 of each Unstable basic for the same price as a comparison.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 11:45:18 pm »
Yea it’s one of each, which like WizardSpartan alluded to...I’d rather have the Unstable lands.
This space for rent.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 11:55:21 pm »
Yea it’s one of each, which like WizardSpartan alluded to...I’d rather have the Unstable lands.

Completely agree.  This is the same as that snow-land secret lair.  Only 1 of each.  Completely NOT worth $30,  Now if it was 4 or 5 of each land  :-\
Happy Brewing!
:)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 12:11:24 am »
I think 5 of each basic would definitely be more worth. Most 3+ color decks don't run many basics, so 5 of each color would be more than enough. 2 color decks might want 2 copies of the Secret Lair, but that still isn't ridiculous. Spending $150 on basics for your EDH deck, though? Absolutely not. Buy a Mana Crypt or og dual or something.

If you want full art basics, just get the snow-covered basics from Modern Horizons. They are breathtakingly beautiful and are only ~$0.50 apiece. Probably one of the best cosmetic upgrades I've ever purchased.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 12:32:43 am »
The art on these is fantastic and the fact that its Japanese language seems pretty cool to me but that price tag for 5 basics is just insane.  How many people are actually going to buy this?  Though because I haven't purchased any of the Secret Lairs to date, maybe I'm not the best barometer for this type of product. 

Rinzler

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 12:33:28 am »
Its so expensive for what it is, but that Island is gorgeous....

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 07:21:20 am »
I think it should be called out for what it really is - pure greed. They honestly couldn't put together a 'playset' or even five of each like already mentioned? This is right after the fiasco with what we're seeing with the fetchlands - WOTC 100% knew that would happen and give no shits about it. Then turn around and announce this. I know Secret Lairs aren't "for everyone", but yikes... I don't know if I would want to be caught defending selling 5 basics for $30 even with special art.

*edit*
..and that $30 could easily turn into more after any fees and shipping that I believe people have been mentioning in a very negative way. That's also before taking currency conversions into account.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:24:47 am by HowlingLotus »
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 01:54:33 pm »
I've ordered 3 secret lair drops for bitterblossom some time ago. We finally paid ~42€/drop here in germany.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

terminalgeek

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 06:11:58 pm »
The fact that they are foil (likely to curl) and only one copy of each is definitely what will keep me from buying this. It's basically for the promo collectors and Godzilla superfans. If there was a five color Godzilla card instead of just Gruul, I would consider it for a five color deck for the flavor of it.

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 12:02:07 am »
Looks like secret lair basic land drop maybe a flop.  Wizards is email people to remind them to order. Wizards never have done that before.  Well, I never received reminders before.  I could be wrong, I didn't buy any. Heck still waiting on the gods.
Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505