deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Question regarding The Scarab God and Consuming Aberration  (Read 1433 times)

Morale

• Decks
If i use The Scarab God's ability to create a token of Consuming Aberration,
does Consuming Aberration still get the effect of "this creatures attack and defense is equal to the number of cards in opponents graveyards?

from what i can tell, when i bring him back as a token from the grave, he is a 4/4 zombie that still has all of his abilities. So because of this.. his attack/defense are still equal to the opponents graveyard. please tell me if im wrong

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Question regarding The Scarab God and Consuming Aberration
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 05:09:34 am »
Great question.  Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work like that.  An ability that sets a power/toughness to a variable value (like the number of cards in graveyards) only functions when the creature's power/toughness is otherwise undefined.  This is usually represented by */*.  Once the creature's power/toughness becomes defined as a static value, this ability no longer functions.

The actual nuts and bolts of why this works is mildly complicated and convoluted because - layers.  But this is the gist for this specific situation.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 03:45:46 pm »
I go over this specific example in my Scarab God primer. The layering is weird, but from what I remember, the token overrides Consuming Aberration's own power/toughness modifier. But then if someone stuck a Frogify on it, it would be a 1/1.

There are some other weird things with The Scarab God's layering as well.

Morale

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 06:12:29 pm »
thank you both very much for the reply!
Fortunately, for my scarab god deck, i rarely actually attack. i typically will just use Consuming Aberration for his milling effect and then cast the opponents creatures from their graves, and then let his upkeep effect kill the opponent.

its quite the fun brawl deck.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 06:15:55 pm »

Is now a good time or a bad time to mention that neither The Scarab God nor Consuming Aberration are legal in Brawl?

Morale

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 06:30:39 pm »

Is now a good time or a bad time to mention that neither The Scarab God nor Consuming Aberration are legal in Brawl?

luckily my play group enjoys making non-legal decks. currently deployed.

the real question is, are they still legal in commander? because when i get home, thats what ill be playing.

another question, i found your primer on the scarab god.
This might be a silly question, but im rather new (ive only been playing magic for... three months)
You say in your primer that The Scarab God's third ability works as a way to get around commander tax,
How does this work? I was under the impression that no matter what, every subsequent time you cast your commander from the
command zone it costs two more. and any time your commander would go anywhere from the battlefield (exiled, returned to hand, graveyard), it goes back to the command zone instead.  so wouldnt that mean you still have to pay the tax? or was it wrong and he can actually return to your hand?

Unfortunately most of the websites that list rules are blocked on the network im on.

also, i cant look at any of the banned card listings.. big sad
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:32:21 pm by Morale »

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 06:36:34 pm »
"any time your commander would go anywhere from the battlefield (exiled, returned to hand, graveyard), you may choose to have it go to the command zone instead"

Perfectly legit to let it die and have it go to the graveyard where the third clause triggers to get it back to your hand.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 06:38:42 pm »
the real question is, are they still legal in commander? because when i get home, thats what ill be playing.

Commander isn't a rotating format and they're not on the ban list, so yes both cards are legal in commander.
This space for rent.

Morale

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 06:41:05 pm »
very nice! thank you both!