deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: First Deck/Primal Genesis mod  (Read 1377 times)

RedRuggles5

• Decks
Re: First Deck/Primal Genesis mod
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 08:31:25 am »
If you are willing to purchase shocks, fetches, and og duals, then don't even worry about that. Your mana will be so smooth, it won't matter if you add basics in different ratios.

I'm honestly starting to think duals are overrated. Obviously, they're the best, but you can buy an entire mana base AND deck that are both pretty tuned for the price of one duals set. My Scion deck uses shocks, fetches, pain lands, and any color lands, and I have never had a problem (though it does also have a good ramp package). I get all of my colors quickly and in the amounts I need. I'm not sure duals are ever going to seem worth the money at this point.

I was talking to my cousin today about this, we're both learning together and mostly just play each other. I'd probably just get proxies but the old collector in me just can't do it, haha. I was thinking though, these OG dual lands are really nice, but are they $120 EACH nice?  I suppose if I was good enough to compete and so on it might be worth the investment but just playing to have fun it seems the lands you mentioned should do just fine.  I think for starters I'll get a set of Shock, Fetch and I really like the Bounce Lands, but I'll play around with it.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 09:49:25 am »
If you're looking for good lands, avoid the bounce lands. If you just like them and want to play them, go for it.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 04:14:18 pm »
Shocks and Fetches with Checks and painlands should be absolutely fine. You likely won't have any mana problems at all, and your manabase will be really fast, too.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 04:23:11 pm »
The bouncelands are a trap, they really don't ramp you unless you have a guaranteed way to play a second land the same turn. Even then that mana is coming in tapped and not usable on that turn.
This space for rent.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 06:35:48 pm »
The only other exception is untapping and tapping them like JLK did with his Tim deck in one of the Game Knights episode.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 09:22:54 pm »
I think bouncelands can be okay, as, while they are taplands, they do "draw" you a card. Basically, a regular land and a bounceland give you 3 lands' worth of mana.

I still wouldn't suggest them here, as I really only like them in decks that are budget (and need the dual land), can untap them (like MustaKotka said), and/or want a slightly slimmer mana base. I ran Orzhov Basilica when I first built Alesha, Who Smiles at Death because as a T2 play, it can let me discard something big to cheat in, it can tap to entirely pay for her activated ability, and my budget was a little tight to afford more expensive lands. It's out now, but I think bouncelands definitely have a time and a place.

terminalgeek

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 10:13:42 pm »
One trick you can use the bounce lands for in the Primal Genesis deck is discard the land that was sent back to your hand to create bear tokens with Ayula's Influence.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 11:33:31 pm »
To me bounce lands are ok for starters but my 1 observation playing against those who use bounce lands. They will bounce a land on turn 2 without playing anything and then at the end step will discard down to 7 cards. Unless you are using the graveyard, then to me throwing a spell into your graveyard becomes a wasted spell.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me