deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Hydra Ramp  (Read 432 times)

Danika Hicks

• Decks
[Modern] Hydra Ramp
« on: May 24, 2020, 07:41:22 pm »
Hydra Ramp

Just a cheap and cheerful little modern combo deck. Is it the best? Is it the most powerful? Of course not.

But it is a deck that can possibly infinite combo off on turn 3 and draw a permenant out of the deck and onto the battlefield.

For ~$30.

This is a budget modern deck, an extreme value deck, an entry level deck made by an amateur.

But, at the end of the day, it is still a modern legal infinite combo deck for ~$30.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:51:18 am by Danika Hicks »
My deck isn't cheap, it is inexpensive.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] Hydra Ramp
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:40:45 pm »
Maybe I'm just missing it but how are you keeping the Devoted Druid from dying when the Vizier of Remedies puts the two -1/-1 counters on it with it only having 2 toughness?

If you're planning on using the +1/+1 counters from Hydra's Growth or the planeswalker for extra toughness, that won't work. The -1/-1 counters and the +1/+1 counters would cancel each other out leaving you with no counters on Devoted Druid to untap it.
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:46:26 pm »
Maybe I'm just missing it but how are you keeping the Devoted Druid from dying when the Vizier of Remedies puts the two -1/-1 counters on it with it only having 2 toughness?

If you're planning on using the +1/+1 counters from Hydra's Growth or the planeswalker for extra toughness, that won't work. The -1/-1 counters and the +1/+1 counters would cancel each other out leaving you with no counters on Devoted Druid to untap it.

Vizier of remedies reduces the number of -1/-1 counters able to be put on your creatures by 1. So you tap devoted druid for a green, activate it's ability to untap it, but Vizier prevents this counter actually going on so you can do it again. And again. And again.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 11:47:07 pm »
Crap, I misread it and thought it added an additional one.

(thinking about it, I should have known better. That would have made for an absolute dumb card)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:49:59 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Danika Hicks

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 11:42:37 pm »
I had to edit the OP. Genesis hydra is not as powerful as genesis wave, and can only pull out 1 other permanent, as opposed to genesis wave's all permanents. Also, the pumped genisis hydra is not infinite... as if you did that you'd be forced to draw infinite cards and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with a self imposed deck out. Genesis hydra does not have haste, so.... technically you win on turn 4 as long as the permanent you put down was setessan training, and it needs to survive from removal, and... look there are a lot of moving parts here, check out the Maybeboard and Sideboard for more expensive ways to upgrade the deck and make it a bit more control-ly.

So fair warning, it can work, but it is a green alternative to an modern entry red burn deck.
My deck isn't cheap, it is inexpensive.