deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: 6/1 Banned & Restricted Announcement Coming, will also address Companion  (Read 1746 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1265432376542445570

Magic: The Gathering
@wizards_magic
On Monday 6/1 there will be an update to the Banned & Restricted list impacting the Standard and Historic formats that will also address the Companion mechanic.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
First Oko gets banned in most every format, and now companions might follow suit.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
That was my thought as well when I saw this.
This space for rent.

Judaspriester

• Decks
mhh.. it sounds more like there will be changes for the companion mechanic as whole, in stead of banning some of them.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

terminalgeek

• Decks
This might be a bit drastic but I can see them making it so that the only thing you can have in your sideboard is the companion. That would fix the problem in older formats and more competitive formats but still let them have free reign on Arena's best of one, Brawl, and EDH. It also wouldn't need any tweaking to the reminder text. That seems to be the cleanest solution outside of straight banning them.

The more likely solution is to add some sort of draw-back in the rules that people will have to remember. If you have a companion:

a) You don't get to mulligan
b) You start with six cards in hand
c) You have to slap yourself really hard when you cast it

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
https://articles.starcitygames.com/news/rasmussen-confirms-wotc-will-change-the-companion-mechanic/?_ga=2.139789235.1426960737.1590512666-525678760.1590332354

As Rasmussen answered questions from the chat, he confirmed that the update “will change the companion mechanic.”
This space for rent.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Oh lawd, Wizards are putting Companions on the chopping block. They've made their money, now it's time to send Companions to the realm of obscurity so they can set up their next money-grubbing scheme.

I'm being 45.7% sarcastic, btw.

Slyvester12

• Decks
Oh lawd, Wizards are putting Companions on the chopping block. They've made their money, now it's time to send Companions to the realm of obscurity so they can set up their next money-grubbing scheme.

I'm being 45.7% sarcastic, btw.

This basically sums up why I play EDH instead of standard nowadays.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Marshstepper78

• Decks
It's shameful to see the lack of play-testing and general foresight with each new expansion.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the WotC offices just to get a sense of how exactly the game got to this point.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
The companion mechanic has in fact changed. Now you must pay {3} to move your companion from your sideboard into your hand. This is a special action that can only be done at sorcery-speed.

Also, Fires of Invention and Agent of Treachery got banned in Standard, and are suspended in historic.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:44:37 pm by Morganator 2.0 »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
So they mess with Companions, say that will affect the metagame, but don't wait around to see exactly how the metagame will change before banning some cards? Hmm.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
This space for rent.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
I have an opinion about this: Boo.

They've essentially doubled the cost of using a companion and I think that's going to kill it for most formats - including EDH. Companions were already kind of difficult to build around to extract as much value as possible and now it's even harder with the extra cost and vulnerability to removal.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
I agree. There was only one companion that interested me in using in EDH and between it's cmc & the way I'd have to retool the deck I'd want to use it with, it kind of turned me off but I was still thinking about it. Now that there's an additional cost to it it's totally out the window.
This space for rent.

KB2MCCLOUD

• Decks
Maybe this is a stupid question but can a companion card be used as your commander rather than a companion? to the same effect can I include a companion card as one of my 100 cards in EDH and consider it a normal creature and disregard the companion attribute?