deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Do you like Ikoria's mutate cards?  (Read 975 times)

Morale

• Decks
Do you like Ikoria's mutate cards?
« on: May 31, 2020, 10:52:37 pm »
I havent been able to play Ikoria yet, as im stuck on a boat in the middle of the ocean... but soon!

Im wondering if you guys are enjoying the mutate mechanic, or if its fallen pretty flat.

I bought the enhanced evolution commander precon, and a booster box of ikoria. im hoping to make a good commander deck that is a mutate themed deck.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Do you like Ikoria's mutate cards?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 11:04:44 pm »
I just put a bunch of mutate cards into my Red-Black Grenzo Eldrazi deck.  We will see how it goes.
Happy Brewing!
:)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 11:07:18 pm »
I'm curious how it's going over as well. I haven't bought any Ikoria since I had to cancel my pre-order due to the shipping issues. I'm interested in it but I'm scared it'll be as clunky as it seems it may be.
This space for rent.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:10:46 pm »
I suspect that it will be difficult (and card disadvantage) to make a really huge mutated creature.

I am planning to use them to firstly make Grenzo, Dungeon Warden bigger.  So that he can power out more big things.  And secondly, once the first is accomplished, to make a few of said big things (eldrazi) even bigger and meaner.

I also put a few green mutate cards into my Questing Beast - Beast Tribal deck.  I assume that I will only get to use any given mutate trigger once.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:15:42 pm by ApothecaryGeist »
Happy Brewing!
:)

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 11:31:33 pm »
Yes, but with moderate affection. From all of them, I liked and bought Sea-Dasher Octopus and Everquill Phoenix, 2 of each. Why only them? Well, I'm all into Tribal mindset as Modern MtG-player and I've good Sea Monster deck and obviously modest phoenix deck. Otherwise, for me this set is bottom-up, more into mechanics "get the opponent to 0", rather than fully flavourful edition although there's some Tribality in it, and that's what made me buy several cards of the set. Ominous Seas, Jubilant Skybonder and Skycat Sovereign are the rest that caught my eyes and I've ordered them. Why, again? I have scry-flying deck with Archons, Sphinxes and Birds, while Ominous Seas, I'll test it again for the same Sea Monsters deck. Since Theros, there hasn't been good Tribal edition and I only look forward to Core Set 2021, with the "expeditions of Zendikar", kidding, as I rarely buy boosters and am more into individual cards, that help me "circle" out my casual felt Tribal combinations. Concluding that, to get back on the subject, I only support those top-down flavourful cards that are in Tribality, and I don't have any other cards, beside the Sea-Dasher Octopus and the Everquill Phoenix, as obvious choices for my casual Modern combinations. Kuddos, to all, I hope to get more upvotes, even make new friends around, and would love to see a comment/recommendation for them. I'm not shy or fearful of negativity, just that I don't operate with the most expensive cards, the Tribality and casualty of my decks are enjoyable enough to ensure their testing at FNMs. Next week, the club is opening again for players and visitors, so I'm glad and ready with my "Ula Kiorthassiya", lol.😎
Regards,
Chavdar

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 12:09:05 am »
After buying a box of ikoria and the pre con commander with the mutate mechanic. It was meh.... I don't really like it but don't really hate it.
None of the mutate creatures jump out and make me say "Gross", "Busted", "Broken" and such. I am thinking the mechanic is pretty good in limited but that seems to me as far as it goes.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 12:44:03 am »
The mutate mechanic in Standard lacks something it really needs to thrive... Hexproof targets to latch onto.  Although Porcuparrot on Vraska, Swarm's Eminence Assassin tokens has potential...

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 05:35:12 am »
The mutate mechanic in Standard lacks something it really needs to thrive... Hexproof targets to latch onto.  Although Porcuparrot on Vraska, Swarm's Eminence Assassin tokens has potential...

Yeah, the only success I've had with mutate in standard is putting Iluna and friends on a Paradise Druid.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 04:40:26 pm »
I have a R/G Mutation deck that got me through Gold last month.  It is really nice for ramp decks, and easy to ramp into effective Turn 3 heavies.

senorm

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 06:35:32 pm »
I personally like mutate simply because it’s something new. Although, unfortunately, it will be prone to a lot of quick removals. As such, I created a Commander precon upgrade deck for those interested in seeing what YouTube content creators have suggested. It’s still very casual but there are some decent mutate targets that will offer up some slight protection plus I adjusted the mana base to have some additional flexibility without breaking the bank. I don’t know enough about the competitive side of EDH but if I had to guess, I’d think one of the first things tackled would be dramatically reducing the mana curve from around 3.5 to around 2.5-3.0 and swapping the dual lands with true duals and true fetches, along with pain and shock lands. Here’s the link to the deck: http://deck.tk/6yyj7k1b
- señor

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 12:54:04 am »
Well, with companions getting stomped and Fires/AoT getting banned, I'll probably be going back to Temur mutate for standard. They need to print another hexproof body before Paradise Druid rotates, though.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 02:40:14 pm »
I think the mutation mechanic is interesting and there are some interesting combos with it (e.g. Dockside Extortionist + Lore Drakkis + any bounce spell). But all in all I think there is to much you'll lose to removal in order to use them more intensly, at least in edh.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Morale

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 04:51:46 am »
As an update..

Ive been playing my Nethroi deck and i love mutate. I play EDH almost exclusively. having hex proof is a must for a mutate stack, but that not too hard to get in EDH.

A lot of my friends that are long time magic players (ive only been playing for 4 months myself) are saying they think they could have done better with mutate, but im enjoying it.

As an aside.. over the last 4 months, i have bought 4 booster boxes. (Ikoria, theros beyond death, hour of devastation, war of the spark)
Im not sure if i just got lucky with this box, but this is the first box that i opened and was able to construct a decent commander deck from. most of my cards in my Nethroi deck are from this expansion. the other boxes had great cards, but the box didnt let me build much.

overall, super happy with this.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 01:10:47 am »
I'm really loving mutate if I'm honest... I feel like it's just another cool aspect of the game that should be explored and experimented with, and it doesn't have to be game-changing, although it can be. The Apex creatures are really sweet, especially Nethroi and Illuna, my two favourites. I think that any Voltron deck could have a bit of Mutate, as everything is already invested into that one creature.

The thing I don't like about mutate is how it costs you numbers of creatures for boosts. But, then again, that is unavoidable. My favourite part of mutate, however, is the "whenever this creature mutates" trigger. Epecially in cases like Parcelbeast, Everquill Phoenix, Migratory Greathorn, and the Apexes, the results can make or break a game, and I think it's really cool that the whole stack of creatures is triggered. It just seems satisfying.

A lot of people were saying that there isn't much hexproof in standard, but that's not the problem for me. The problem is that hexproof (except for Paradise Druid) is too expensive. You have cards like Humongulus and Wingfold Pteron as well as Dream Trawler to base creature stacks on, but they're all late-game.

So anyway, I'd say a 7/10 for mutate, because though it is really fun and you can make some amazing combinations with ridiculous triggers, it costs you a lot of creatures to make a large stack and can be very risky, as you have a lot of mana and cards in one spot.