deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Ultimate Budget EDH deck competition  (Read 3631 times)

Firegriff

• Decks
Ultimate Budget EDH deck competition
« on: June 03, 2020, 02:39:06 am »
Welcome to the next deck building competition!  The rules are simple.  Build a full EDH deck, including Commander and lands, for $50 or less (roughly 7.5 Tix).  .  The judging criteria will be simple.  Does the deck come in under the price limit?  How competitive will the deck play out?  How much fun will the deck be to play?  And one bonus standard, in case decks are close to a tie: could a new player make good use of the deck?  Deck building has until June 16th, and once submitted, a deck cannot be changed. 

MonteTribal

• Decks
Re: Ultimate Budget EDH deck competition
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 02:53:10 am »
Here is my submission: $50 cycling.

https://deckstats.net/decks/99624/1659198--50-cycling/en

Drannith Stinger and Brallin, Skyshark Rider are the most obvious ways to win. Just cycle a bunch of times. Fluctuator or New Perspectives makes it practically a combo.
Ominous Seas, Drake Haven, Improbable Alliance, Valiant Rescuer and Mad Ratter all make a bunch if tokens. Gleam of Resistance pulls double duty here.
A medium amount of fixing in rocks and land-cycling like Gleam of Resistance.
Tectonic Reformation lets you prevent flooding by ditching unneeded lands.
Astral Drift and Astral Slide give some ETB effects, and also removes threats. Similar with Snare Tactician.
Play your cards twice with Abandoned Sarcophagus and Bag of Holding.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 02:53:40 am »
post twice to prevent the edit. comes in at ~ $ 49.54

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 03:42:42 am »
Build a full EDH deck, including Commander and lands, for $50 or less (roughly 7.5 Tix).

Okay, but how much is that in potatoes?

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 04:01:16 am »
For you, Morganator, a sac of one rotton potato...

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 04:07:45 am »
Build a full EDH deck, including Commander and lands, for $50 or less (roughly 7.5 Tix).

:D :D :D Well...

Potatoes are $.98/lb at my local store.

The average potato is 6.15 ounces. Or, about $0.3675 per potato. So about 136.05 potatoes.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 04:34:37 am »

:D :D :D Well...

Potatoes are $.98/lb at my local store.

The average potato is 6.15 ounces. Or, about $0.3675 per potato. So about 136.05 potatoes.

That's under the standard 150 potato allotment. Checks out.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

SkirkProspector

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 07:27:05 am »
https://deckstats.net/decks/144662/1659435-budget-changelings

So this is changeling tribal. Allies are pretty lame imo, but a tutor in the command zone certainly is not! This deck wins by using unlikely cards to generate a lot of value for little mana investment, and then swinging out using Tazri's activated ability or Mirror Entity's activated ability. The fact that Tazri can search up any changeling allows the lack of a ton of good changelings to be somewhat nullified in a singleton environment.

Because Tazri is used in this deck primarily for her ETB, there is a little bit of blink in here. This synergizes well with pretty standard cards that care about ETBs such as Mulldrifter, Coiling Oracle, and Risen Reef, but it also synergizes with the Modern Horizons changelings, many of which also have valuable ETBs. I tried to squeeze in a Conjurer's Closet, but I couldn't make the numbers work, however that would be a bomb.

The bread and butter of this deck is the tribal support. This is a Sliver deck just as much as it is a Goblin deck just as much as it is an Ally deck. Probably my favorite interaction is using Goblin Recruiter to fetch up 4 changelings and a Goblin Ringleader to the top of the library, then casting Goblin Ringleader to put all of the tutored changelings into hand. Goblin Recruiter, or any other changeling can also be tutored for with Goblin Matron. Arcane Adaptation also turns all tribal tutors into Eladrami's Calls, as well as turning non-changelings into Allies for Tazri's ability. Rooftop Storm is a bomb in this deck for obvious reasons.

Overall, besides the compromises that had to be made for the mana base (10 more dollars and it would be much stronger), I expect this deck to be very consistent, and any new player armed with the knowledge of how changelings work should be able to pilot this. The only complicated line in here is the Goblin Recruiter line, but it's not that hard to learn.

This was really fun to make. This is my first forum post so please excuse any formatting issues (such as not knowing how to make the card names blue). The final deck cost as of today is $49.24.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 04:18:03 pm »
I'd like to submit a deck, but a rough draft of it has a price of 7,06 Tix but is just over $100. What will be the criterium?

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 04:54:08 pm »
Budget Elemental Landfall.

https://deckstats.net/decks/154132/1659402-omnath-landfall-elementals-edh

Several Landfall triggers, but the main is Omnath, Locus of Rage. Several Ramp cards to make landfall possible often.The goal is to create a bunch of 5/5 elementals that potentially do damage as they come in (with cards like Warstorm Surge or Where Ancients Tread) and as they leave with Omnath's trigger. Other landfall triggers include creating 4/4 beasts, adding +1/+1 counters, gaining 2 life, dealing 1 to each opponent, creating 2/2 elementals which also do damage as they leave with Omnath, and growing a couple specific elemental creatures.

Second Harvest and Sylvan Awakening can create a wide board for a large lethal swing. The Chandras are included for utility and elemental support.

At the time of posting, the listed TCG price is $49.65.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 05:22:08 pm »
I'd like to submit a deck, but a rough draft of it has a price of 7,06 Tix but is just over $100. What will be the criterium?

Welcome to the next deck building competition!  The rules are simple.  Build a full EDH deck, including Commander and lands, for $50 or less (roughly 7.5 Tix).  .  The judging criteria will be simple.  Does the deck come in under the price limit?  How competitive will the deck play out?  How much fun will the deck be to play?  And one bonus standard, in case decks are close to a tie: could a new player make good use of the deck?  Deck building has until June 16th, and once submitted, a deck cannot be changed.

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 10:35:37 am »
https://deckstats.net/decks/108636/1655395-growing-concern

I've always wanted to make a +1/+1 counter deck with some proliferate action so thanks to the budget restriction it had to be a bit different! I've splurged on some cards that really help the strategy though and tried to keep others as close to the ground as possible. As of writing this the deck comes in at a price even TV shop would approve of: 49.99$

Main strategy here is to try and make a huge creature mainly with +1/+1 counters and then cast Prime Speaker Zegana to draw a ton of cards. We are also trying to proliferate our Kyren Toy, Mage-ring network and Astral Cornucopia alongside using our regular ramp to achieve enough mana for the turn we're planning on casting Zegana on. It's entirely possible to get her out with enough counters and Fleetfeather sandals to just pop someone with commander damage.

There's also the usual Simic Ascendancy plan, but mainly you're looking at beating face with huge (hopefully evasive) creatures. We do have some toolbox style neoform options as well, mainly going from a 4 mana creature to mnemonic wall to Kogla, the Titan Ape or Sphinx of Magosi. There's also an infinite combo with Magistrate's Scepter and Vorel of the hull clade if you ever manage to get to 3 counters or more on the scepter. If your opponents let you pull that off they've deserved it.

But really there's too much synergy to clearly outline in here, just take a closer look!

Many of the play patterns are somewhat slow and can be seen coming from a mile away, but the goal is to outvalue your opponents in the end. This is meant to be a bit better than precons and capable of making fun and threatening boardstates, but it won't be able to hang in higher powered tables due to being fairly fragile to removal. This is something I'd imagine whipping out at an LGS when you aren't quite sure what the power level is.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:38:39 am by Bonethor »

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 02:39:16 pm »
I think it would be the best to clearify the price source. I'm not sure how many shops we've got added here with Dollar prices, but naming it would avoid some confusions.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 10:50:31 pm »
I think it would be the best to clearify the price source. I'm not sure how many shops we've got added here with Dollar prices, but naming it would avoid some confusions.

So far the deck I've drafted is under $50 per TCG but a fair amount over on Card Kingdom and way over the estimate for Tix and #$@# if I know how many potatoes that is.  So, yeah, some clarification or standardization would be helpful.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 02:50:45 am »
I was just using the cost estimator on the Deck Creator for dollar amount.