deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Ultimate Budget EDH deck competition  (Read 3629 times)

Firegriff

• Decks
Re: Ultimate Budget EDH deck competition
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2020, 03:46:26 am »
It is the end of deck submission now.  I will review the decks and pick the winner from those submitted :)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2020, 08:19:48 pm »
Alright, going to go from last place to first place.  All of the decks are interesting designs, and I made notations on possible areas for improvements.

Name: Xaarvaxus
Deck: Kogla
Competitiveness: Low.  Replaying creatures that have ETB effects can be powerful, but some of the cards selected didn't seem to benefit the deck overall (Evolving Wilds would have been better as a forest, you can recurr Veteran Explorer but it has a death trigger, not an ETB and not sure the purpose for Liquimetal Coating in the deck), making for some dead cards in hand. 
Newbie Friendliness: Low.  Bounce effects need careful timing and precise application
Fun Factor: Moderate
Cost: $48.47

I like the idea of Kogla in command of an army of humans, utilizing poolwerful effects repeatedly and helping humans dodge removal.  Unfortunately, not a lot of ETB humans seemed to have made the list.

Name: SkirkProspector
Deck: Changeling
Competitiveness: Moderate.  Repeatable tutoring makes finding answers much easier.  Changelings definitely abuse tribal effects, but the non-ally, non-Changelings
Newbie Friendliness: Low.  You have to know all of the interactions of the cards to know what to tutor.
Fun Factor: Modest.  When the deck gets rolling, it runs really well.  When it falters, it gets steamrolled.
Cost: $49.24

Abusing the effect of Changelings having all creature types for a multi-tribal tribal deck seems exciting and fun, and great way to get into all five colors.  Unfortunately, the decks seems to get Mana stalled easily, and having key (non changling) cards stalls the endgame plan a bit.

Name: Mynus
Deck: Omnath - Landfall
Competitiveness: Moderate.  Creature count seems a little low at first, but Omnath's landfall making elementals, and the ability to convert lands to creatures, helps.  Disappointed not to see Dictate of the Twin Gods providing surprise victory, considering it is a 24 cent card.  Overall high CMC, likely to need to reach at least three turns before it fully joins the game.
Newbie Friendliness:. Moderate to high.  Cards support each other well, and land plays are not wasted turns late game.
Fun Factor: High
Cost: $49.65

I love landfall decks.  I made a landfall deck back when Zendikar was in Standard, roughly $20 worth of cards, and a friend bought it from me for $50.  He was very pleased with how it ran, and took on high powered decks with it.  That said, it still gets into the game a little later than most of the other decks.

Name: Paulusdeboself
Deck: A Tale of Wolf and Elf
Competitiveness:. Moderate.  Low average CMC, deathtouch wolves with fight ETB can be powerful.  But most of the creatures don't tie together with as much cohesion as they could. 
Newbie Friendliness: Moderate.
Fun Factor:Moderate
Cost: $47.41

Love the flavor with the Commander, love the wolf army.

Name: MonteTribal
Deck: Cycling
Competitiveness: High in one on one.  Low interactivity for cycling, payoff for working quickly through the deck.  Tokens make medium competitiveness in multiplayer.
Newbie Friendliness: Low.  Need to plan out when and how to cycle or cast spells.
Fun Factor: Moderate.
Cost: $49.58

Cycling let's you reach key cards quickly, but timing is critical, and right now I know a lot of players are out gunning for cycling decks.  For some reason, cycling has made them mad...

Name: Rinzier
Deck: Budget Aristocrats - Teysa Karlov
Competitiveness: High. Deathpact Angel would give a self recurring creature that gives an extra sac creature each time.  Pawn of Ulamog provides Mana growth in the form of token generation.  That said, the deck does it's intended purpose and does it well, protecting it's player with powerful effects.
Newbie Friendliness: Low.  Timing on Sac and Recursion is critical to running the deck properly.
Cost: $49.75

This and the next decks were the hardest to fit into the ranking.  They have a lot in Comm n, and while both need to be kept in check early on...

Name: WWolfe
Deck: Alesha Budget
Competitiveness: High.  Mardu Aristocrats.  Not having to attack to damage all opponents helps with board stalls.  Plenty of sac outlets and looting effects to feed the graveyard for Alesha to pillageHollowhenge Spirit or Labyrinth of Skophos (Reconnaissance would be a bit pricey for a budget deck) might have made an interesting combat trick with Alesha on a stalled board state.  Not a deck I would want to take on solo, or at least without graveyard killing effects.
Newbie Friendliness:. Low.  Timing is critical with plays to make best use of the deck, both for returning creatures from the graveyard to play and in best utilizing the wide range of effects.
Cost: $47.90

I think Mardu adding red gives it just a tiny bit of an added bite to take advantage.  But again, this was an extremely tough call as both decks were extremely well crafted.

Name:. Bonethor
Deck: Growing Concern
Competitiveness: Moderate.  Would have loved seeing Biomancer's Familiar (50 cents) here, but definitely a deck that runs on high gear right from the start.  Having a backup plan in Simic Ascendancy, with easy ways to double counters, definitely on the right track.  Would also have liked to have seen a way to tap Gilder Bairn for Mana (with Biomancer's Familiar, this would let Gilder Bairn go infinite).  Still, highly effective deck!
Newbie Friendliness: I feel like this deck, with lots of early plays and synergy, would be easy for a new player to take advantage of.
Fun Factor: High. 
Cost: $49.99

While this deck might not be as competitive, per say, as the Aristocrats decks, I can see myself having an absolute blast playing it, and I can see a new player getting addicted to the game very quickly to Magic pulling all kinds of Simic shenanigans while not having to go on pure offensive...

Name: Robort
Deck: Bark at the Moon
Competitiveness: High.  Beanstalk Giant/Fertile Footsteps seems like a better option than Beneath the Sands.  That said, aggro decks usually falter in multiplayer games, but the abundance of token generation makes this deck highly competitive.  With multiple ways to gain trample (or Champion of Lambholt just letting you swing unblocked), this deck quickly becomes a threat.
Newbie Friendliness: Single color, low CMC demands.  A new player can pilot this deck without issue.
Fun Factor: Who wouldn't want to lead an entire pack of wolves into battle?
Cost: $48.31

Which brings me to the winner.  The pure synergy of purpose means that a new player could quickly understand how the deck works, and it is a feel good aggro deck that can take some risks.  The main thing I can think of is needing a little more protection for some of the stronger cards, but overall a fun deck to play.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2020, 08:30:37 pm »
Thanks for the comments and recommendations.

And i too like the winning deck, lots of wolves in it ;)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2020, 08:38:10 pm »
Congrats to everyone and thanks to Firegriff for "hosting" the competition!
This space for rent.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2020, 09:56:57 pm »
Thanks Firegriff!

Rinzler

• Decks
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2020, 12:10:17 am »
Nice! I'm happy that I did fairly well in building a budget deck.  It was really fun, and thank you!

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2020, 01:45:28 am »
First off thank you firegriff for running this. The deck I made wasn't to much of a problem until I realized the price of the deck also included lands. My playgroup does this kind of thing but the price didn't include basic lands.  Hence I had to cut say a Beastmaster Ascension from the deck and it is a budget card but it costs 3.43 and puts it around 52.00 including Beastmaster Ascension. I could have included it if the price of lands wasn't part of the restrictions. But that is what made it fun to do.. Get the wolves out and going, give them trample or even unblockable with Champion. The cool part though is the deck is easily upgradable. Beastmaster Ascension and Coat of Arms shouldn't break the bank.

So congrats to those who did participate. I like all the decks, I enjoy seeing and constantly doing budget decks. Then seeing what can be done to upgrade afterwards without spending to much to upgrade a budget deck
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2020, 11:28:56 pm »
Hey! I didn't get to check this until today thanks to Midsummer's eve festivities, but very nice job with this contest and especially taking the time to really look at the decks!

In addition to Biomancer's Familiar I missed at least Galloping Lizrog and possibly Curse of the Swine (it was surprisingly cheap!) and I noticed the land tinkering thing too late as well. I discarded a few options perhaps a bit early thinking they'd get too expensive (paradise mantle) or too combo-y for the purpose. All in all this was really fun to do!

Congratulations to Robort!

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2020, 08:09:41 pm »
Has there already been a building contest for a commander with only commons and uncommons. There are  95 uncommon commamders: https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=legal%3Acommander+%28rarity%3Ac+OR+rarity%3Au%29+is%3Acommander

All of these commanders are one or two colors. If you restrict the decks to only commons and uncommons the price would be budget for most of the cards. You would have to include lots of targeted removal because mass removal is limited to only artifacts and enchantments.

Would it be an nice challenge for the next building contest? It would be an difference to pauper commander because the decks qould be legal in regular commander games as well.   

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2020, 08:19:03 pm »
Yea, we did one where you could only use common and uncommons not that long ago.

https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,54689.0.html
This space for rent.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2020, 08:24:54 pm »
Yea, we did one where you could only use common and uncommons not that long ago.

https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,54689.0.html

Thanks, I will check those decks for inspiration!

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:43:58 pm by stuffnsuch »