deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Commander Highlights: Core 2021  (Read 570 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Commander Highlights: Core 2021
« on: June 18, 2020, 02:50:43 am »
Core 2021 saw a lot of good reprints for commander players, including Azusa, lost but Seeking, Containment Priest, Grim Tutor, Heroic Intervention, Massacre Wurm, and Scavenging Ooze. There aren't to many new cards of interest (and only 1 or 2 that can be called staples) but the ones I've listed below are certainly cards to consider.

Discontinuity
Like Time Stop, but people are actually going to play this one. In a lot of cases this can be more useful than an offensive counterspell. Opponent going to combo off? End the turn while the spell is on the stack. Opponent swings for lethal? End the turn. Opponent casting a stax piece or boardwipe you just don't like? End the turn. It is unfortunately not that good as a defensive counterspell, because casting it on your turn is just impractical.

Fiery Emancipation
I think this card is being a little over-hyped, but I do think that it will see play in a lot of damaged-based decks. Think of Zurgo Helmsmasher, who now one-shots players. Or Nekusar, the Mindrazer, Ruric Thar, the Unbowed, Marath, Will of the Wild, Saskia the Unyielding, Kaervek the Merciless, Niv-Mizzet, Parun, Purphoros, God of the Forge... there are a lot of commanders that can benefit from this card. Just don't assume this card to be an auto-include. The 6 mana can be restrictive.

Garruk's Uprising
Not terrible, but does have a more specific requirement than the other options that green has (Guardian Project, Elemental Bond). Might still see play an additional card draw.

Mangara, the Diplomat
Finally! White card draw that doesn't suck. Like Smothering Tithe before him, Mangara provides card draw based on what your opponents are doing. Best of all, he works in both casual combat-focused metas, and stronger metas that focus more on combos.

Miscast
I really don't know what to think about this card. I certainly think it's going to replace Dispel in most competitive decks. I'm not sure if it's a better choice than Flusterstorm. Regardless, it is still a good protective counterspell.

Teferi, Master of Time
Figures that Mangara couldn't be the shining card draw spell, there had to be something else to take the spotlight. This Idris Elba lookalike is going to be very good in commander. You'll be able to draw about 4 cards each turn cycle. He can also be used as temporary creature removal if the situation demands it. And finally, icing on the cake, he can give two extra turns, still at instant-speed.

Also, between different artwork and frames, there are like nine different versions of this card. I like to think it's because he's stuck in a time loop.

Teferi's Ageless Insight
Windfall anyone? If you've been using Alhammarret's Archive in a blue deck, you're very likely swapping it out for this card instead.

Village Rites
Even black wanted card draw for this set. This card will likely see play in aristocrat decks and decks that happen to have a lot of fodder creatures. Also, it's an instant. With the new rule change, you can use this to sacrifice your commander if it's going to be removed anyway.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 04:20:04 am by Morganator 2.0 »

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
Re: Commander Highlights: Core 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 03:56:43 am »
Fiery Emancipation
I think this card is being a little over-hyped, but I do think that it will see play in a lot of damaged-based decks. Think of Zurgo Helmsmasher, who now one-shots players. Or Nekusar, the Mindrazer, Ruric Thar, the Unbowed, Marath, Will of the Wild, Saskia the Unyielding, Kaervek the Merciless, Niv-Mizzet, Parun, Purphoros, God of the Forge... there are a lot of commanders that can benefit from this card. Just don't assume this card to be an auto-include. The 6 mana can be restrictive.

I have a couple creature decks that utilize Warstorm Surge; that in combo with Fiery Emancipation could be lethal. I have a Niv-Mizzet Parun, like you said, that it will also go in.
The last deck I plan on trying to utilize it in is a Bosh, Iron Golem deck; sacrificing some large artifacts and tripling the damage sounds nice.

The other one you mentioned I will probably try to include is Discontinuity. It seems to be very flexible.

Rinzler

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 04:01:44 pm »
Yeah, I like this set, it has had some really nice cards!  I will definitely use Fiery emancipation in my Neheb deck, and other cards from this set will probably find their ways into my decks as well.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 04:12:20 pm »
Fiery Emancipation will slide into my Purphoros, God of the Forge deck. Village Rites will at the very least play tested in my Karador Shadowborn Apostles deck.
This space for rent.