deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Meme commander decks  (Read 742 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Meme commander decks
« on: June 15, 2020, 01:38:29 am »
Have there ever been any decks that you made, just as a joke? Or deck that you thought about making as a joke, but decided against it? For example, for a while I considered making a Child of Alara voltron deck that used cards like Boon of Emrakul and Sangrite Backlash to increase power and decrease toughness. That way, my opponents could block Child of Alara, but they wouldn't want to.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Meme commander decks
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 02:30:17 am »
I've often toyed with the idea of an Elesh Norn deck featuring Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Kormus Bell.  No lands for anyone but me.

I've never done it.  I don't really want to be "THAT GUY".
Happy Brewing!
:)

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 02:35:29 am »
I typed up a draft for a Tobias Andrion deck with nothing but vanilla creatures that were there to crew vehicles [which really were meant to do the work for the deck] as a theme of 'useless humans/elephants'.  In the end I decided to not waste perfectly good sleeves on it.  Oddly, the meter on Tapped Out gave it a 100% competitive rating.

Morale

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 02:47:55 am »
Would be fun to find a way to have infinite removal and mana with a child of alara deck so you can keep blowing up everyones field.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 10:25:24 am »
I love a good meme deck. I've made / brewed loads. Some of my favourites include:

Grixis downside tribal. Lord of Tresserhorn as commander and it's full of cards that have a slight to significant downside when you play them but none of the synergistic stuff that can be used to negate that downside. Things like Eater of Days, the cycle of thought eaters that reduce your hand size, the hunted creatures, Indentured Djinn, Rust Elemental, that kind of thing.

Manaless dredge. A classic legacy deck adapted for 100 card singleton. You really have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to even find playables when you don't get playsets and have to go up to 100 cards. Angel of Glory's Rise combo for the wincon, assuming you could fill up your graveyard enough and not die before you could pull it off.

Minigame Tribal. Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths and a bunch of bounce/reanimate effects. Then crammed full of things like Fact or Fiction, Liar's Pendulum, Pain's Reward, Measure of Wickedness, and some of the Sphinxes with cool effects. This deck I actually still have and play and love (though not so much while we are playing over webcam). No real wincon, but a lot of fun.

Tour-de-France cycling deck. It's Gavi, Nest Warden, only every card that isn't a basic cycles or says cycling on it. Every. Single. One. No talismans or signets for ramp, just that shitty jeskai crystal. No real card draw outside of cycling. Very sub-par counterspells. No real win con. But hot damn can it cycle.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 04:17:44 pm »

terminalgeek

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 09:17:44 pm »
I've been guilty of building decks around a silly theme:

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 10:01:55 pm »
A friend of mine does some really off-the-wall decks that actually turn out well. For example, he has done Thantis self-curse, Seton storm, 4-color Edric, Neheb hellbent, and Ghost Council bomberman.

There are also some decks that seem like jokes, but they do show up in competitive or high-power environments. 4-color Rashmi is an actual deck. You stick enchantments like Curiosity and Keen Sense on Vial Smasher the Fierce, effectively turning her into Rashmi, Eternities Crafter. And the Atla Palani, Nest Tender scrambled eggs combo is hilarious. It uses Mirror Entity and Kozilek, Butcher of Truth to just keep reshuffling and cycling through every creature in the deck.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 12:16:52 am »
I made a Phage the Untouchable deck that was basically jank tribal. It mainly won by giving other players Phage, but also had silly stuff like Tree of Perdition into Triskaidekaphobia.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.