deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Jumpstart Spoilers  (Read 2083 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Jumpstart Spoilers
« on: June 18, 2020, 01:17:24 pm »
Jumpstart spoilers dropped fast yesterday. Instead of posting all of them (there were a lot) I'm just going to highlight the interesting ones.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Jumpstart Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 03:59:52 pm »
Oracle of Mul Daya reprint is pretty nice to see.

The Thriving lands are kind of intriguing but are they really better than alternatives we already have?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 04:16:49 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 04:26:23 pm »
The Thriving lands are kind of intriguing but are they really better than alternatives we already have?

I think the Vivid cycle is better in almost any situation, and those are considered pretty bad outside of budget decks. I'm hype for more warlocks, though, and it's interesting to see new support for mono black control. I hope we get some more cards to make mono black prison decks more viable.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 04:30:29 pm »
Honestly I'd say the trilands are better than both them and the Vivids in three color decks for sure, come in tapped as well but provide access to all three colors an unlimited amount of times.

ETA- maybe in a theft deck that cares about producing colored mana outside your commanders color identity (Sen Triplets)?

More quality reprints...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 04:55:02 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 05:42:06 pm »
The thriving lands could be good if you get them early enough to fix starting mana, I think after a few turns they lose their value.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 05:54:29 pm »
The thriving lands could be good if you get them early enough to fix starting mana, I think after a few turns they lose their value.

That's only if you play 3 or more colors. With 1 or 2 colors the thriving lands are just Guildgates.
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 06:15:04 pm »

That's only if you play 3 or more colors. With 1 or 2 colors the thriving lands are just Guildgates.

With three colors or more they're not even as good as the tri-lands. Those at least tap for any of three colors instead of only two.

Rhystic Study reprint...
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 06:25:25 pm »

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 06:27:44 pm »

With three colors or more they're not even as good as the tri-lands. Those at least tap for any of three colors instead of only two.

You got a point there. Really brain blackouted I am, huh?  ::)
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 06:38:18 pm »

You got a point there. Really brain blackouted I am, huh?  ::)

Agreed, but in a budget world, where I usually try to be, they are another option.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 07:13:11 pm »
Another solid reprint...

This space for rent.

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 08:50:34 pm »
With the set being so large, 500+ cards I think, what are peoples take on the prices of some of these cards actually moving the dial any? Unlike a normal set that only has 50-60 rares, I imagine this will have twice as many at minimum. Mythics are a whole other story to add to that.

*Edit*
I'm actually pretty shocked at some of these if Jumpstart is meant to sell around the price of a normal pack. I guess WOTC justifies not giving the master set price treatment due to lower chances of pulling the "chase cards"? (aka keep buying $5 packs to try and hunt reprints versus $15-$20 a pack and maybe buy 1 total)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:52:36 pm by HowlingLotus »
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 09:29:47 pm »
I mean, Mystery Booster have lots of reprints that are significantly cheaper than their original cards, and there were almost 1700 cards in that set.

I, for one, am excited. We saw how well Mystery Boosters did reprint-wise, C20 wasn't as bad as c18 was reprint-wise, M21 had solid reprints, and now Jumpstart not only has fantastic, big-ticket reprints like Craterhoof Behemoth & Exquisite Blood, they have commanders like Neyith of the Dire Hunt that explore new, unique design space. I really hope this trend continues with Commander Legends (and Double Masters although I will never be directly participating with Masters sets).

About the rare land cycle, I think they are best compared to trilands, as others have said. I would never run them in 1-2 color decks, would almost never run them in 3 color decks, and may run some in 4-5 color decks. I know that, especially when on a budget, it's good to lean into green in your mana base and rely on ramp like Cultivate to consistently get your other colors, so running Thriving Grove to get green and the most useful color at the time could be helpful.

*moans*
an ELF? Hoo hoo boi! It's only 1 mana, tells nasty blue players to piss off, and turns your elves into DINOS!!?? Slyvester, get over here and look at this beaut!

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 11:54:10 pm »
A friend sent me this:

I can think of a couple creature decks I would like this in.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 11:54:45 pm »
Not a bad reprint I guess.
This space for rent.