deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What could a new viable cycle of Lands look like?  (Read 2896 times)

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
What could a new viable cycle of Lands look like?
« on: June 19, 2020, 06:21:59 am »
After realizing how bad the new  Jumpstart "Thriving"-land cycle is, I began to wonder what a new cycle of competitive viable dualcolored lands could look like.
The main question is which draw back of etb untapped the lands need to have to not be over- or underpowered.

One Idea I came up with was something like "XYZ enters the battlefield tapped. As XYZ enters the battlefield you may choose to have target oppontent create a 3/3 Duallanddrawback token. If you do untap XYZ."
I think with this you might not want to have that land turn 1, but you got a possible untapped land.

So... What are your ideas for a new land cycle? Do you think we need more viable lands?
Consider these questions not bound to a specific format, though I thought of it in a competitive modern-ish way.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:05:25 am by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: How could a new viable cycle of Lands look like?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 06:28:53 am »
Basically any land that makes more than one color, has a minor drawback, and always comes in untapped is viable. Tarnished Citadel costs three life PER USE, but it's still worth running in EDH rainbow decks because three life is nothing for another Command Tower. Glimmervoid is the same. It makes every opponent's Vandalblast into a Strip Mine, too, but it's worth running because it's a Command Tower.

Lands that make specific colors need lesser restrictions, but if they printed a set of tri-shock-lands that came in untapped for 4 life, they'd get played. Entering tapped is just a killer.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: How could a new viable cycle of Lands look like?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 06:40:16 am »
Basically any land that makes more than one color, has a minor drawback, and always comes in untapped is viable. Tarnished Citadel costs three life PER USE, but it's still worth running in EDH rainbow decks because three life is nothing for another Command Tower. Glimmervoid is the same. It makes every opponent's Vandalblast into a Strip Mine, too, but it's worth running because it's a Command Tower.

Your absolutely right. For Commander every veiled Command Tower is good. Especially for guys like me, how manage to get mana screwed with mono-colored decks.  ;)

Lands that make specific colors need lesser restrictions, but if they printed a set of tri-shock-lands that came in untapped for 4 life, they'd get played. Entering tapped is just a killer.

Yes, I think I would play them myself. So, the question is how heavy a drawback are players willing to accept only for getting untapped lands. Or referring to your example: How many life are you willing to pay for that on maximum?
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

dexflux

• Decks
Re: What could a new viable cycle of Lands look like?
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 09:25:36 am »
Something that has been hinted at in Battle for Zendikar, iirc:

[name]
Land - [type]
[name] enters the battlefield tapped.
When [name] enters the battlefield, add one mana of any color.
T: Add [color]

Where [color] is the respective colored mana of the land type.

Edit: A better version of Crumbling Vestige, essentially. Fetchable, makes mana the turn it comes in, after that it would be a basic land that has all the drawbacks of a nonbasic land (unless you start flickering).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:29:17 am by dexflux »

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 09:29:37 am »
Something that has been hinted at in Battle for Zendikar, iirc:

[name]
Land - [type]
[name] enters the battlefield tapped.
When [name] enters the battlefield, add one mana of any color.
T: Add [color]

Where [color] is the respective colored mana of the land type.

That would be an untapped single use manafix- Interesting idea, though it sounds like a moneywise effordable cycle.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 01:09:11 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing a full cycle done of lands similar to the Tainted lands (Tainted Wood, for example). If my quick math is correct, there are about 20 different lands that would come out of this.

I also think tri-color painlands could work. Like it taps for colorless or gives one of three colors if you pay 2 life.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 01:47:51 pm »
I can see one use: difficult to hit mana costs. If your deck is a multicolor deck (say 3, 4 or 5) you can always pick the same mana colour over and over again for that one difficult to cast card. Necropotence, Mind over Matter, any card from the Ultimatum cycle, Predator Ooze... Basically any card with a lot of the same coloured pips. This would effectively double the number of appropriate dual lands in your deck. Still... I'm not sure I would modify my land bases to accommodate one of these. Maybe for some really shady budget solution but otherwise no, not really.

Verdict: really slow. Competes directly with the Vivid cycle in my opinion. Maybe appropriate for some super heavy fixing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 02:16:38 pm by MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 02:42:49 pm »
I also think tri-color painlands could work. Like it taps for colorless or gives one of three colors if you pay 2 life.

Those are some lands I would play. Them being fetchable would be nice but that would probably be asking too much.
This space for rent.

terminalgeek

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 04:23:39 pm »
A land that has creature-cycling... you can pay x and discard to go find a creature with x cmc and put it in your hand. Similar to transmute but can scale throughout the game.

I kind of like the slow lands (i.e. Lantern-Lit Graveyard), because they fix your mana immediately but if you can just use the colorless if you don't need to pull the trigger on them just yet. Plus if you have untap tricks or bounce lands that can reduce the downside. So a three-color version would be cool.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 04:28:59 pm »
The Thriving lands are awesome! Pauper finally has a decent way to get 3 color decks, they are reset-able with bounce lands, and they allow for off color sideboard tech.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 04:29:59 pm »
A land that has creature-cycling... you can pay x and discard to go find a creature with x cmc and put it in your hand. Similar to transmute but can scale throughout the game.

I kind of like the slow lands (i.e. Lantern-Lit Graveyard), because they fix your mana immediately but if you can just use the colorless if you don't need to pull the trigger on them just yet. Plus if you have untap tricks or bounce lands that can reduce the downside. So a three-color version would be cool.

Aren't in this case the painlands a safer option?  :o
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:51:38 pm by Akira Foxmind »
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 07:14:07 pm »
I'd like to see a cycle of lands similar to Krosan Verge
A single victory is all I need.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 07:49:37 pm »
I'd like to see a cycle of lands similar to Krosan Verge

So you want some kind of budget fetchlands?  ;)
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 12:27:25 am »
Let's see them finish the cycles they've already started. The rest of the battle lands would be nice, the rest of the canopy lands, while I don't care for them, would be useful. The other half of the triome lands would be fantastic, as would the other five BBD lands. There are a bunch of solid land cycles they've just never gotten around to finishing that I'd love to see completed.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 01:29:51 am »
What if there was a cycle of lands that had their own special abilities to the colour, like the castles but better and affecting only your creatures? For example:

[name]
Land - Forest
(T: Add {G})
{1C}{G}{G}: Creatures you control gain trample until end of turn.

Maybe Black could give your creatures deathtouch until end of turn, while Red gives your creatures menace. Blue could make your creatures hexproof, and white would give creatures you control flying. They'd be sort of similar to the castles, except with better abilities and fetchable. Maybe too powerful, though. I, for one, would love to see a cycle like this where the abilities of the lands can make a big impact to the game, instead of just letting you scry 2 or make a 1/1 token. This ability could be even better used with the keyword counters used in Ikoria! Something like "Put a hexproof counter on target creature you control" would be nice to have.