deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What could a new viable cycle of Lands look like?  (Read 2873 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: What could a new viable cycle of Lands look like?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2020, 03:47:38 pm »
What about a land like the reveal lands (Game Trail) except that you need to reveal a card of the appropriate color pair? So for the red-blue land you need to reveal a red and blue card.

Not a bad idea, though it seems like the later in the game you drew it the worse it becomes as the likelihood of having that land combination in your hand probably lessens.
This space for rent.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2020, 01:37:15 am »
You want dual lands that include the basic land types?  How about this for the template?
[land name]
Land - Plains Forest
[land name enters play tapped]; if [land name] is the second land to enter play this turn untap it. (similar to Fabled Passage)

Now would that see play?  If you've got fetch lands could there be a better target?  A format without ways to play/put into play that second land it might be dead weight but if running a format where you could play a land and then use that land to find this people would be all over it.

I really don't like the idea. There is already some kind of cliff between the EDH players that have got fetches and those that haven't. Adding these lands would make the problem even worse, because like 90% of the time the untapped trigger happends, it would be because of fetches.
The remaining 10% go down to different ramp cards/stategies like Tempt with Discovery, additional land drops, etc (with other words, very unlikely outside of Gx decks).
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2020, 03:25:31 am »
You want dual lands that include the basic land types?  How about this for the template?
[land name]
Land - Plains Forest
[land name enters play tapped]; if [land name] is the second land to enter play this turn untap it. (similar to Fabled Passage)

Now would that see play?  If you've got fetch lands could there be a better target?  A format without ways to play/put into play that second land it might be dead weight but if running a format where you could play a land and then use that land to find this people would be all over it.

I really don't like the idea. There is already some kind of cliff between the EDH players that have got fetches and those that haven't. Adding these lands would make the problem even worse, because like 90% of the time the untapped trigger happends, it would be because of fetches.
The remaining 10% go down to different ramp cards/stategies like Tempt with Discovery, additional land drops, etc (with other words, very unlikely outside of Gx decks).

Even then, these aren't great for decks with fetches. Part of the upside of fetches is being able to wait and see what you need. I've gone 2-3 turns before cracking a fetch before because I didn't need the mana and I wanted to make sure I picked the best color for fixing.

Like if you have a counter spell in hand that needs U, but your game plan would be better off with B next turn. You can hold up your fetch in case you need to counter, but can pivot to B if nothing worth countering comes.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

StevenOs

• Decks
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2020, 07:41:13 am »
[land name]
Land - Plains Forest

Honestly, I don't like them all that much either BUT if one is looking at a possible cycle it's pretty easy and certainly has a power level that certain parts would grab up.

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2020, 04:52:14 pm »
I'd like to see a cycle of lands similar to Krosan Verge

So you want some kind of budget fetchlands?  ;)

Absolutely.  Krosan Verge goes in any deck with white and green in it I build, which is surprisingly a lot.  They could do ally colors first, then finish out the cycle with enemy colors later.
A single victory is all I need.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2020, 11:48:31 am »
I've never understood all this urge to print new cards (apart from financial reasons, obviously).
We already have plenty of lands, they could just reprint the most relevant ones.
In fact, nowadays putting together a 4-colors deck is no problem even in standard.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:50:51 am by crimsonking »