deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Dual Lands in EDH  (Read 1016 times)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Dual Lands in EDH
« on: June 27, 2020, 07:15:07 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/120669/1659958-lands-in-edh-a-primer?lng=en&source=js_embed&embed_version=v3#show_description

I'm posting this here with the hope that people will give me feedback on my descriptions of the dual land cycles.

Thanks!

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Dual Lands in EDH
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 07:35:47 pm »
Hey man, this is sweet.

One recommendation I have is including an example of one or two of each cycle in their respective sections so that those who aren't familiar with the cycle can see an example of what they are and how they work.

I know the deck already has them, but given it's formatted like a primer, it will help those reading it from having to keep scrolling up and down to cross reference.

Just and idea. Sweet idea though dude. Looks really good.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 09:27:23 pm »
This is really awesome!
This space for rent.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 01:56:51 am »
Thanks for the kind words thus far! I have added in an example of each cycle to the titles of their respective sections now. Thanks, Bel! (I'm gonna call you Bel from now on, you can't stop me :P)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 09:39:39 am »
Thanks, Bel! (I'm gonna call you Bel from now on, you can't stop me :P)

That's fine with me dude, I've been called a lot worse.

Adding the examples looks sweet man. Makes it real easy for people to see what the lands are, how they work etc. Then if they decide they're interested they can go back to the full deck to check the names of the ones the want in the colours they want. Good user experience.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:51:45 am by CleanBelwas »

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 02:46:27 pm »
You call the scry lands your "favorite lands that always come in untapped."

Aside from that, I didn't notice any mistakes. I would argue that by only including cycles you're missing out on some true staples like Command Tower and other any-color lands.

Even if you ignore all of the utility lands that get played for reasons other than mana production, there are still quite a few that everyone should know. Given that this is meant as a primer on lands for EDH, it seems like fairly ubiquitous lands deserve a mention.

You might also want to include a section describing your philosophy on building mana bases. Many people assume taplands are the best choice in their budget range, even though basics and a proper ramp package would oftentimes be a more consistent but still budget-friendly option.

Good work on the cycles, though. I'm sure this will help people build affordable but useful mana bases.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:48:59 pm by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 03:32:22 pm »
You call the scry lands your "favorite lands that always come in untapped."

Aside from that, I didn't notice any mistakes. I would argue that by only including cycles you're missing out on some true staples like Command Tower and other any-color lands.

Even if you ignore all of the utility lands that get played for reasons other than mana production, there are still quite a few that everyone should know. Given that this is meant as a primer on lands for EDH, it seems like fairly ubiquitous lands deserve a mention.

You might also want to include a section describing your philosophy on building mana bases. Many people assume taplands are the best choice in their budget range, even though basics and a proper ramp package would oftentimes be a more consistent but still budget-friendly option.

Good work on the cycles, though. I'm sure this will help people build affordable but useful mana bases.
Fixed the scrylands thing. Thanks

I hope to start adding the mono color and tri color cycles soon, but the problem with including utility/5 color lands is that there are so many. And so many are bad. I agree that I'll never include utility lands because they aren't necessary for a good mana base. I'll see if I can add in the 5 color lands some time down the line.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 04:06:02 pm »
I definately like this. I went into the decklist itself, checking out the prices and it helps me define affordability. Very well done and great job
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 06:59:28 am »
I just truckin' love you. Marrying you was the best choice I've ever made.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 03:50:49 pm »
I just truckin' love you. Marrying you was the best choice I've ever made.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 04:08:14 pm »
Hey man,

How do you want folk to share their own thoughts on these cycles/Primer? Do you want them to add them in this thread or discuss in the comments thread directly?

I've got some thoughts on this primer and some of these cycles that differ to your own and would love to go through them with you.

Just let me know what you prefer.

Cheers dude.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 04:15:54 pm »
Ooh, that's a good question. Did not think about the fact it would likely get split up because I posted this in a couple different areas.

I'm going to go with add your thoughts inside the primer here: https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,55691.0.html

Bit of a facepalm on my part for encouraging discussion in 2 areas. -_-