deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Casual] A great deck to make your girlfriend enjoy magic  (Read 865 times)

Asura

• Decks
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:44:50 am by Asura »
"I need never remember my past associates, my victims, my mistakes. Innistrad preserves them all for me."
Sorin Markov

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
Re: [Casual] the best deck ever to make your girlfriend play magic
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 07:06:52 am »
Sorry man, but if I were a girl and would end up reading this I would be slightly insulted from being seen in those stereotypes.

*sarcasm on*
You could try building a deck with Bogbrew Witch, Bubbling Cauldron, Witch's Oven to link your girlfriend to her favorite room in the house.
*sarcasm off*

As for deck improvement you could add Loyal Pegasus so that you have at least 4 cards to cast turn one.

Oh, and if I come to learn a new game and realise I won only because my opponent just let me, I imidiately lose interest in this game. This is not a question of gender though.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:10:01 am by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 11:40:02 am »
I don't know how much more condescending OP could've made this post even if they tried. Sorry to say but this is the kind of "advice" one might've heard in upper elementary school.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 12:44:26 pm »
I get it. The Magic community demographic is about .69% women according to Rudy from Alpha Investments but that doesn't mean they're not hardcore players. A good chess player will pick up Magic easily and win on the spot if you give them a more powerful deck. You should definitely change all instances of "girlfriend" to "beginner" and "she" to "they".
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 02:47:42 pm »
I think it’s a funny idea indeed. ;D
Also, it’s a fact that My Little Pony is a successful toy aimed for girls, so I don’t see why a girl would “be slightly insulted” by this deck.
People tend to “be slightly insulted” for the most disparate nonsense, these days...

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 03:37:16 pm »
I get it. The Magic community demographic is about .69% women according to Rudy from Alpha Investments
Hmm. Checks out. Would love to see Morg's take on these stats. :P

I agree that this idea seems a little (actually, a lot) sexist, stereotypical, etc. Not a fan.

I see what you are going for, and maybe this would appeal to your girlfriend, but not every beginner female Magic player would see the type Unicorn and decide they are Magic players for life. /s

I think that, no matter the gender of the new player, the best way to teach a new player is giving them a choice between 5 60-card mono colored decks, each built around simple cards that try to show off what that color is about. This would allow them to get a feeling for whichever color is their favorite in addition to learning the basics of the game & some simple evergreen mechanics.

Green - Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic as ramp into big fatties like Colossal Dreadmaw & Brambleweft Behemoth. Consider a couple fight spells, also.
Blue - Some low CMC fliers like Faerie Seer & Spectral Sailor, perhaps some counterspells/bounce spells (just because many players who play blue play it just to watch the world burn), draw spells like Opt & Divination, and bigger fliers like Tempest Djinn to top the curve off.
Red - Basically mono red burn, with some cheaper aggressive creatures to provide an early boardstate.
White - Hmm, white is a little more difficult for me to figure out. Perhaps Dauntless Bodyguard/Selfless Savior early with lifegain spells like Revitalize finishing with the ultra-classic, iconic, Serra Angel.
Black - Cheap creatures like Reassembling Skeleton & Doomed Dissenter are fodder for Altar's Reap effects, with big demons with flying & trample as the top end?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 04:24:48 pm »
I got my now ex-girlfriend into Magic by letting her play my mono green Hydra deck while I played my Boros Weenie deck or Rakdos Burn deck against her. She loved it and then begged me to teach her to play Commander so she could play with our other friends (this is after months of convincing her that it was something she would like), so the Unicorn approach won't work for everyone.  ;)
This space for rent.

kimix

• Decks
Re: [Casual] A great deck to make your girlfriend enjoy magic
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 01:34:01 am »
Actual girl here... 

ummm DINOSAURS!!!!!!!!!!

but all kidding aside..  if you want to build a deck for someone (girl or guy), build it to a theme that individual person likes. If the person is into unicorns then great. If the person is into goth, then black deck duh. Dragons, dinosaurs, dogs cats, elves, insects, ocean, birds and so many other choices that you should be able to find someone that appeals to a persons general tastes.

crimsonking

• Decks
Re: [Casual] A great deck to make your girlfriend enjoy magic
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 06:36:46 pm »
If you want to introduce your girlfriend to EDH, you can also build the last deck presented by The Commander's Quarter in this video (min 24:54):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw-iB-Bs9Wo&t=1494s
You can watch Mitch piloting his own deck here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5o_4ZZ0ki4
 ;D ;D ;D