deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: The Collaborative Creative Creature Closet  (Read 1641 times)

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
Re: The Collaborative Creative Creature Closet
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 01:02:48 am »
Here's your design without the art - unfortunately, the type + subtype was slightly too long and runs into the rarity symbol. I have no option to change the size of the 'Type + Subtype' text, but I could fix this by simply removing "Lord" from the subtype.

However, I love the name - very nice, and I think that this card would work in gameplay. Shroud was made obsolete by Hexproof a couple years back (Hexproof does the same thing as Shroud, and Hexproof counters are a real thing), but I left Shroud on the card just for fun. I also changed the wording of the rules text slightly to conform to other cards more. The main change was adding "You control" to the Lord effect.

I feel like the only thing this card needs is some kind of activated or triggered ability, like an ETB ability, Dies Trigger, or something like:

{2}{u}{u}{t}: until end of turn, whenever a Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus or Serpent you control deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.

Anyway, that's just an idea. I like the card! When I'm done with the Ooze Lord art, I can get a start on this one. Any specific way you want it to look?

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 08:48:44 am »
Sorry it took so long, but I have rough drafts for the art on the Ooze Lord. (I actually finished them yesterday but forgot to post.) Tell me which one you like better so I can decide which one to make a full version of - these are just mock-ups.

I made a second design because I thought my initial design was a bit complicated and lacked contrast. That problem may be solved through use of colors, however.

The second design will be all about colors, as that is what will decide the mood of this picture. It may look overly simple now, but with color and dedicated shading, it will really pop.

Also, if you like the second design more, could you guys tell me if it should be night-time or day-time? I can't decide.

P.S. Sorry for the picture quality. It was in a sketchbook, so I had to hold it open with one hand.

MisterDalek

• Waiting for gary in standard
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 05:57:41 am »
Decided I might chime in on what I think pretty well encapsulates what oozes are all about

The Inexorable
Trample
Whenever a creature you don't control dies, put X 1/1 counters CARDNAME, where X is that creature's toughness.
{x}, Remove X 1/1 counters from CARDNAME, {t}: Create X X/X green Ooze creature tokens
I play black decks.

That's about it.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 12:25:37 am »
Decided I might chime in on what I think pretty well encapsulates what oozes are all about

The Inexorable
Trample
Whenever a creature you don't control dies, put X 1/1 counters CARDNAME, where X is that creature's toughness.
{x}, Remove X 1/1 counters from CARDNAME, {t}: Create X X/X green Ooze creature tokens

Cool card idea, but that's busted. It would go infinite with The Ozolith and an altar. It would turn your opponent losing Llanowar Tribe into you having 3 3/3s for 3 mana. If you had something like Corpsejack Menace out, it could make that same scenario 6 6/6s for 6 mana. That's more than synergy; that's broken.

EDIT: Missed the tap cost. It can't go infinite, but it's still broken.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 01:31:00 am »
The Inexorable
Trample

This is very cool, but I agree with Sylvester when I say that it is probably broken in gameplay. creating X X/X creature tokens is just waay too exponential in growth, and would lead to absolute board domination.
In terms of flavour, it's really cool. The consuming of dead creatures and multiplication of itself is very nice, however it doesn't really make a lot of sense to have it consume ALL creatures that your opponents controlled. I would go for something more like:

[CARDNAME] - {B}{B}{G}{G}
Legendary Creature - Ooze
Deathtouch
Whenever CARDNAME deals lethal damage to a creature, you may put X +1/+1 counters on CARDNAME, where X is that creature's toughness, rounded down.
Pay {X}{X}, {T}: Remove X +1/+1 counters from The Inexorable and choose one:
  • Distribute X +1/+1 counters onto other Oozes you control
  • Create X 1/1 green and black Ooze creature tokens

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 05:56:01 am »
I like that design. It feels like a natural upgrade to Predator Ooze.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.