deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Golgari Commander Box  (Read 632 times)

MTG_Reanimator

• Decks
Golgari Commander Box
« on: July 07, 2020, 04:31:26 am »
For a long time, I've joked about building every golgari commander because I love the color pair so much. Now, I've come to the conclusion that one of the only things seriously holding me back was spending money on so many duplicate lands. If I sleeved all the decks in the same sleeves and built a generic mana base that could go with all the decks, I could build the lists and put them in a box and pull out a deck plus the front marked mana base to play. Since the exchangeable mana base should work for each deck, it'll be a few lands short of complete so each deck can include it's unique utility lands, and if it doesn't have any or many of those, I can put more basics in those slots.
Also, since I'm cutting down on duplicates, I figured it'd be a good idea to build one deck for commanders that have a significant amount of crossover of decklists. I already have a Meren deck, so it'll be exempt from this project, but here are the decks by commander and theme I'm thinking so far.

Gitrog - Lands
Jared or Hogaak - Selfmill*
Skullbriar - Counters Voltron
Hapatra or Vhati - -1/-1 Counters
Slimefoot or Thelon - Fungi and Saprolings
Nath or Rhys - Elf tribal
Glissa - Arifact Sacrifice and 'Reanimator'
Izoni or Savra - Aristocrats*
Mazirek or Polukranos or Rayhan or Varolz - +1/+1 Counters
Grismold - Token Wrath
Ishkana - Spider Tribal
Virtus and Gorm or Sisters of Stone Death - Lure
Pharika or Umori - Enchantress
Sapling of Colfenor or Ikra Shidiqi - Toughness Tribal
Storrev - Superfriends
Iname As One - Spirit Tribal
Chevill - unknown

*I'm unsure if there's enough crossover between these commanders.

Thoughts on themes and the exchangeable commander pairs?

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: Golgari Commander Box
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 05:08:03 am »
You don't really need to consider the commanders to make a generic mana base. I would make it 32-34 lands, leaving room for 1-4 utility lands, then include the good dual lands in golgari colors and fill in with basics. If you skip Verdant Catacombs and Bayou, you should have:

Command Tower + other any-color lands you want
Overgrown Tomb
Llanowar Wastes
Nurturing Peatland
Woodland Cemetery
Twilight Mire
Tainted Wood
Basics

That gives you all of the good dual lands outside of the incredibly expensive options. Adding more any color lands usually doesn't seem terribly worth it in guild colors decks, especially so with green for ramp.

As for themes, I'd say that Varolz is definitely the most fun for +1/+1 counters, Rhys is better for elf tribal if you include things to weaponize life gain like Aetherflux Reservoir and Sanguine Bond, Nath is better as a prison deck, and I wouldn't build golgari enchantress just because you miss out on so many staples of the archetype for not running bant or even selesnya. Maybe try an Umori voltron build with a few enchantresses and a lot of auras?
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

MTG_Reanimator

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 05:16:58 am »
I suppose I worded it poorly because that was my plan for the mana base. I'm not sure how I feel making a prison deck, so do you have any other suggestions then besides that and elves. I might have to try that Voltron Umori if I don't think I can pull of enchantress, but it's always felt heavily green so I want to at least attempt it.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 05:34:17 am »
The reason Nath is good for prison decks (and not much else, as far as I know) is that he synergizes well with other discard effects, creating a board presence while spending mana only on lockdown. As a tribal commander, he makes an incredibly slow 1 elf per turn, slightly pisses off whoever you target, and doesn't really give you much in the way of a win condition.

Without going for some kind of lock, he tends to make you a target without making up for it with value.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

MTG_Reanimator

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 05:46:50 am »
Ok, I figured I'd include a few discard synergies in the deck, but I suppose you probably have to go all-in to make Nath worth running as a commander.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 06:43:34 am »
For Chevill, bane of monsters you can run a "Predator" deck where you focus on sniping down and hunting your opponent's creatures. The actual card Bounty Hunter would go great in this deck and if you want to wipe whole board states you can run Tetzimoc, primal death. Prey upon your foes and make them run in fear of you. Also since your commander has death touch you can give him Thornbite staff, pathway arrows and other equipment that let him "Ping" targets. This way you definitely get your targets hit so you can get value. Run it with black market and your stacking mana as you get kills on the battlefield. what are your thoughts on this one?