deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Xira Arien group slug & stax  (Read 349 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Xira Arien group slug & stax
« on: July 10, 2020, 02:30:25 pm »
Recently I asked about Xira Arien and what to do with her. I ended up drafting my first group slug & stax deck.

https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/1693547-xira-arien-group-slug-stax

The plan is to churn out lots of stax effects that make my opponents' life miserable and slowly accumulate damage at the same time. I have three problems:
  • I have too many cards.

• I don't know how to win. There's a win package in the maybeboard that could potentially replace all the cards that induce damage.
    In this case I'd have to remove Collector Ouphe and Null Rod because I need to be able to activate the Equip-ability on Illusionist's Bracers.

• I'm not sure how I will survive. Do I need some life gain to mitigate (& break parity) from all the symmetrical damage effects?
    Is there another way? I considered Torment of Hailfire but wasn't sure how good of a finisher that would be considering all the stax I have.

Xira Arien breaks the parity by being able to draw me cards when others have to keep discarding them and getting stuck with expensive & damaging things in their hands. Like I said this is my first time crafting a stax deck. Help will be appreciated. I understand Jund isn't a primary colour combination for stax but I think I've done enough of Esper and the likes for the time being.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:32:54 pm by MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: Xira Arien group slug & stax
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 12:41:03 pm »
Update: I got the shell in working order. It's stax with combo, no discard, no group slug. Looking a lot better in my opinion. With infinite untaps (Seeker of Skybreak + Illusionist's Bracers), Xira Arien and a dork like Birds of Paradise or Bloom Tender we try to make our opponents draw their entire deck and lose.

There exists an alternative line with Bloom Tender / Llanowar Tribe + Rings of Brighthearth + Seeker of Skybreak that doesn't require an activation of an artifact which frees up the possibility for Collector Ouphe. Otherwise we should be able to sac Collector Ouphe to Birthing Pod (fetching Llanowar Tribe or Eternal Witness) if we need to win. EDIT: Birthing Pod is an artifact. I think I need to take Collector Ouphe out of the deck. Riftsweeper is there to make sure we don't lose Seeker of Skybreak to stuff like Swords to Plowshares.

Weaknesses: Krosan Grip, counterspell wars. Because of this we probably draw our own deck first and then have Eternal Witness, Pyroblast & Red Elemental Spell ready if someone tries to blow things up.

I'm still a bit over the card limit (9 cards) so if anyone wants to help me make some cuts I'd love that.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 02:00:27 pm by MustaKotka »

DavidAuer

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 08:06:18 am »
Does Damping Sphere disrupt lands with Utopia Sprawl or Wild Growth on them? I thought it did.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 08:49:25 am »
Does Damping Sphere disrupt lands with Utopia Sprawl or Wild Growth on them? I thought it did.
Doesn't, actually. Damping Sphere says "tapped for" whereas Wild Growth and Utopia Sprawl say "add an additional" - they don't alter the amount the land taps for. Damping Sphere's second ability is the relevant one but it does stop Gaea's Cradle from working. (+ Bounce lands, Lotus Vale, Lotus Field)