deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: In need of help with zurgo helmsmasher  (Read 659 times)

Varatius

• Decks
In need of help with zurgo helmsmasher
« on: July 12, 2020, 04:50:05 am »
So my buddy wants to build a zurgo helmsmasher voltron deck this is an archetype I don't normally work with he does want to keep it around $300-$400 max cheaper if possible.

We have a small amount of for sure cards,  worldslayer path to exile sword to plowshires whispersilk cloak stoneforge mystic and steelshapers gift.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ozog

• Decks
Re: In need of help with zurgo helmsmasher
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 04:52:40 am »

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 05:03:24 am »
This is a good start I'll have him go through your list with me when I see him tomorrow thank you.

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 06:38:35 am »
(Not a fan of the above deck.)

Here something better

https://articles.edhrec.com/the-chopping-block-zurgo-helmsmasher/

You might like Operation DEVASTATION
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:40:44 am by Jesterskull »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 03:42:22 pm »
A friend of mine runs a deck pretty similar to the Zurgo, Fully Loaded in the link given above. It can be a handful at times but it has the problem that voltron decks sometimes have, you can probably get one person and maybe do some hard damage to the second, but is so dependent on a single creature it is kind of a glass cannon that can be easily broken before taking out all 3.

ETA- EDHRec.com is a pretty good source for some ideas. I usually look at it after brewing the first draft of a deck to see if there's any obvious cards I'm missing but it can also be used as a starting point to see what other people are doing with theirs.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:50:26 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 05:10:14 pm »
Here is the link to the EDH rec suggestions for a Voltron Zurgo. I always start at EDHrec.

https://edhrec.com/commanders/zurgo-helmsmasher-voltron-theme

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 11:13:21 am »
Well the dilemma with Voltron style decks is that your commander will always be the target and that having higher costed legendary creatures as commanders does make the task a bit more difficult....but not impossible.
                     1.  Firstly you wanna make sure that you can get your commander on the field as fast as possible. Cards such as Bontu's Monument, Hazoret's Monument, and Oketra's Monument are good sources of cost reduction.  They stack towards the reduction on your commander, Zurgo helmsmasher turning him from a 5-drop to a 3-drop. This will help a lot when you have to cast him in later turns once you've secured the battle field.
                    2. Once your commander hits the battlefield you'll need to do the most difficult part of how your voltron deck will be running: keeping him on the field. Yes he's indestructible but that effect is only on your turn. Lightning Greaves and swiftfoot boots are good examples of ways to keep Zurgo on the table for long periods of times without him getting removed every other turn.
                   3. Lastly making sure that you take advantage of every turn is crucial for a Voltron deck. You're not playing combo or control where you can lay out your plans and put up your protections. Aggro with swift damage and combat is how you're going to win so playing cards that actually give your commander max damage output is obviously the ay to go. Having terror of the peaks, warstorm surge and other such cards will secure you some damage the very moment you cast your commander. Even if you wanted to include some white blink spells as a form of evasion will keep him out of other player's cross hairs with their removal spells and can re-trigger the ETB.

I speak from experience on this because i also have a Zurgo deck. I currently have a Mardu Minotaur Tribal deck and i use the white in the deck to support the Rakdos playstyle. But the same principle applies to a lot of Voltron decks: Keep your commander on the field as often as possible. Creatures such as Uril the Miststalker, Rayami First of the Fallen, and even Etrata the Silencer NEEED their board presence to be effective. Do your best to either have protection for your boss or have enough other creatures with similar abilities to serve as battlefield decoys to distract or deter their resources AWAY from your general. I hope the advice helps, and if there is anything else that you need know that we of the MTG community have your back.