deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: The locust God Commander Deck Tech  (Read 977 times)

Moley316

• Decks
The locust God Commander Deck Tech
« on: July 14, 2020, 05:28:55 pm »
Been a casual jank player for most of my magic playing days but now my group has been developing more competitive decks so I though't I'd try too.
This is the first attempt to build this using different sources online. Haven't played in person yet (for obvious reasons!) so I'm curious for any feedback on where I could improve.

https://deckstats.net/decks/158527/1697173-the-locust-god

Varatius

• Decks
Re: The locust God Commander Deck Tech
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 06:08:11 pm »
I run mindmoil in my version with lots of cheap cantrips.   It works wonders as you never actually lose hand size and you get to vitruallynstack you deck once mindmoil is out.

Moley316

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 06:18:54 pm »
Nice. Never really considered that card. I'll add it to my maybe pile and once i get a chance to physically play I can mess about with it to see how it performs.
What would you take out if you were to put it in?

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:32:03 pm »
Mindrask liege and hour of devastation  are both weak I'd aloe put in intruder alarm so you can have your locust army be a psuedo board wipe.

Moley316

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 07:15:22 pm »
Yeah I can see why hour isn’t great as such but I felt I needed a board wipe. Intruder alarm is something I’ve never considered to be fair so I’ll give that a look too. I thought the mindwrack liege was a good card for this though, +2 +2 and cheaper commander once it comes back to my hand. Do you think it’s that bad?

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 02:11:41 am »
Yeah I can see why hour isn’t great as such but I felt I needed a board wipe. Intruder alarm is something I’ve never considered to be fair so I’ll give that a look too. I thought the mindwrack liege was a good card for this though, +2 +2 and cheaper commander once it comes back to my hand. Do you think it’s that bad?
Well, pumping your commander isn't really what you want to do, is it? And while discounting your commander is nice, it only does so by two and only from your hand. If The Locust God gets exiled, you still pay retail. I would swap this out for something more consistently useful.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Moley316

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 02:38:52 am »
The pump is for the locusts rather than the God. A bit of extra power to put some more pressure on my opponents. I looked at a bunch of pump effects and thought that this one was good as it gave a discount for the general as an added bonus. I agree it’s not going to be consistent though and it’s more difficult to protect so I’m open to all suggestions if you have any? It’s also worth noting that in my groups meta, there’s not a lot of exile effects going around so I’m maybe being swayed by that.

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 02:41:46 am »
Trust me there are very few situations where the buff to your pocusts matter.   They needs to be an elesh norn effect out for it to matter and even then with purphoros you steal deal damage for spawning the locusts.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 02:52:00 am »
The pump is for the locusts rather than the God. A bit of extra power to put some more pressure on my opponents. I looked at a bunch of pump effects and thought that this one was good as it gave a discount for the general as an added bonus. I agree it’s not going to be consistent though and it’s more difficult to protect so I’m open to all suggestions if you have any? It’s also worth noting that in my groups meta, there’s not a lot of exile effects going around so I’m maybe being swayed by that.

I agree with the others you really don't need pump effects. Locus God just wants the swarm of insects so to speak but if you want the pump effects go with the easier alternative of Shared Animosity
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Moley316

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 02:58:08 am »
Fair enough. That makes sense. I’ll take a look at putting intruder alarm in and I’ll definitely take a look at mindmoil. How about the rest? Any ideas for improvements?

That shared animosity looks cool but I think I’ll stay away from the pump effects now. Got blinded by the idea of big beasties!

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 07:17:28 pm »
Honestly mystic remora braid of fire enter the infinite for late game combos with mindmoil  and cantrips that's my entire deck and it can compete with higher powered decks for fairly cheap

Moley316

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 10:31:12 am »
Those combos are pretty sweet. I like enter the infinite with mindmoil, that's a game winner right there and I love how mystic and braid just pay for each other until you need them.

Have you got a link to a deck list so that i can check it out bud?

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 06:48:28 am »
I do not but I will put one it together on here warning my playgroup absolutely hates it and it is fairly budget I'll put it up tomorrow  while I run my errands.

Moley316

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 09:58:44 am »
No worries man. Thanks for that. There’s no rush.

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 03:43:03 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/117870/1699950-locust-god

I did modify the list to fit yours honestly probably even better than my own rn might upgrade even.  There are 3 very interesting cards leapslip through space, and shadow rift these cards are for purely political talks.  How ever if you don't want 3 political cards I'd put in kozilek the great distortion and take out one of those.