deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Rules question  (Read 477 times)

zacem

• Decks
Rules question
« on: July 27, 2020, 03:32:27 am »
If a creature enters and does not cause any triggers to go off, does your opponent get priority? More specifically, once my Sporemound has resolved, can they kill it before I play a land?

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: Rules question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 04:06:38 am »
No, your opponents would not get priority in that instance. When you cast a spell, each player gets priority. Once priority has cycled by each player, that spell's effects happen/it enters the battlefield, and you gain priority.

In Sporemound's case, you get 1 land trigger for free before your opponents regain priority.

For example, this is is also the reason why you get 1 activation from a resolved planeswalker before your opponent can remove it.

Hope I explained it well!

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: Rules question
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 07:30:51 pm »
While WizardSpartan is correct, I would offer another (better?) explanation why this doesnt work:
Lands don't go on the stack.

In order to explain this further, here is an counter-example:
First you play Angelic Chorus. The priority goes round, the spell resolves, Angelic Chorus enters the battlefield (without triggering anything). If you now follow up with another creature, you'll open a new stack and before it resolves, the priority goes round again (which means your opponents could do something against Angelic Chorus).

For your case with Sporemound and a land, the first effect that hits the stack is Sporemound's triggered ability. This means even if they destroy Sporemound now, you still get your first token.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.