deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Cutting down your collection & decks  (Read 1759 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Cutting down your collection & decks
« on: July 29, 2020, 07:12:55 pm »
So I recently went through and paired down my number of decks and sold a good portion of my bulk cards to a friend. This is not the first time I've done this since I began playing. My logic for doing so was I didn't need 8 five row long boxes and an untold number of smaller boxes of cards along with decks I hadn't really played in a while or hardly ever did play. I mostly buy singles the past few years and kept the cards I switch in and out of decks and my binder of EDH staples but got rid of a lot of cards.

Does anyone else do this routinely or am I a weirdo?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:38:52 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
Re: Cutting down your collection & decks
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 09:01:45 pm »
Master Moderator? Same: I have 39 decks, I'm Tribal player, as you probably know, and I had enormous amount of cards I didn't use, so I put an advertisement on a Bulgarian website (OLX.bg) and for roughly 50€, sold them to a friendly man. I literally don't have any other cards beside what I own as decks. There are 39, close to 40 decks, but due to an apartment renovation, I was getting fed up with such a bulk of unwanted commons and uncommons. There were few more expensive ones, but I was unwilling to keep literally a hard disk box with so many bulky cards. I expect to receive more from a friend of mine, but it'll happen around September as I'm on vacation at the Bulgarian Black Sea seaside during the apartment renovation. I plan and have MCM buy list, but future and probably last order for the year will happen around Zendikar Rising, which's actually September around my return in Sofia, Bulgaria, where I live. Back to the question: you're not the only dude, Master Moderator, who's fed up with so many bulks, but I'm pretty surprised that you cut your decks. Kidding: I know Americans and Western Europeans have larger budget and more money and actually time to scramble around, but I did my best with so many casual Modern Tribality combinations. You are not the only one. All due respect to the organisers and web site developers, as Deck Stats is the best site for hosting decks. Way better than Tapped Out and the lean pot MTG Vault.
Regards,
Chavdar

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 09:48:48 pm »
Are you kidding?  I've done this multiple times over the years.  I've recently started giving away a lot of my excess commons, uncommons, and bulk rares.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 04:19:33 pm »
I used to do that but I stopped. Now I just like having a bunch of bulk cards because it's nice to see one of them shoot up in value. It's nice to have that pile of Honden of Cleansing Fire shoot up from $0.26 to $2.60 overnight. It's one of those cards that I just think will never be useful, and then all of a sudden there's a demand. Sometimes stores will sell a booster box worth of commons and uncommons, and I always snatch up one of them. Back when Core 2019 was released I managed to get 8 Reliquary Towers for $8. I sold them off two years later for $3.26 a piece.

Admittedly I could probably do away with the vanilla creatures. I don't think anyone is ever going to want Silvercoat Lion.

bleborious

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 05:15:48 pm »
I am fairly new to Magic, but my husband has been playing for years (he took a long break though)  I have become obsessed and have well over 4000 cards now I cant see myself getting rid of them because our oldest plays now (hes 9) and I am sure our youngest will at some point so I save all my cards. My husband also saves all his cards (for amount he has around 6 figures in cards total not monetary) Which is kind of cool because he has a lot of older ones. He recently went through and build a deck that destroyed my new deck just from his stock pile. Albeit I was pissed because he made it to combat my new deck after he lost to it a few times, but hey thats magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 06:10:33 pm »
I don't think anyone is ever going to want Silvercoat Lion.

Some random MTG collector in 20 years that has a lion kink:

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 11:57:45 am »
I'm currently in the process of restructuring ALL my card collections (pokemon, yugioh, Force of Will, Cardfight Vanguard and MAgic the Gathering). I've got 71 commander decks and I have between 4-6 totes of 800-count boxes of the various card games. I have a separate tote for all my rare binders. One thing i do is that I buy the toolkits from lowes and home depot like Dewalt, Stanley and craftsman. I firstly built my EDH decks and then put all my rares in my binders. This is still a grueling process but progress is being made. As far as the bulk cards what i used to do was build decks for casual and modern decks as intro decks for my friends and new people getting into the game.

poke6809

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 12:02:57 pm »
I just recently threw all commons and uncommons I had out. I also set a hard limit at 10 EDH decks because I have people in my playgroup who own ever card in exsitence multiple times and I find it highly unneccessary.
Companion mechanic finally brought XYZ's and Synchros to MtG, just what we needed. (they changed it because after literally killing every format they realized their design was horrible)

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 12:25:07 pm »
Hearing about somebody throwing out commons and uncommons just seems like some kind of vandalism to me. There are loads of great commons and uncommons that can go in so many decks! Seriously, if you throw all of them in a box and put them on ebay for free, someone will take them. I, for on, would take a box of random commons/uncommons if I only had to pay for shipping, and all it will cost you is a cardboard box and a few minutes to list it.

It might take a couple of months to sell, but there are only a certain amount of each card in the world, and each one that is destroyed can never come back, and one box sitting in a corner is worth saving them. Giving them away to friends is another great option, but please, PLEASE don’t throw them away.

Rant over.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 10:04:21 pm »
I keep a limited number of commons and uncommons from the boxes I open with the rest going back into the empty boxes to accumulate until I have enough to make a trip to my FLGS and unload them.  The owner has outlets for selling bulk.  I don't get much for them but honestly I'll part with them for free as long as I don't have to throw them out.  They can always be used to corrupt our impressionable youth,... ahem, introduce new players to the game, even if its not me that's doing it anymore. 

I really should go back through old boxes and clean out more but...well, distractions.   I especially need to clear out the bulk I have from other discontinued card games (original L5R, Decipher Star Wars, etc) but the couple times I've started I end up wandering down Nostalgia Lane instead and not much gets done.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 05:14:59 pm »
I think between being in the military myself at one point and then my now ex wife having also been in the military, I think I just got use to cutting down every few years as we were getting ready to change stations. I still have about 10 decks and my trade binders but I've limited it to that.
This space for rent.

courtjester12804

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 09:46:33 pm »
I recently bought one of those BCW 12 box tower boxes for $25 and went through all my cards.  I kept no more than 2 copies of any non-land card except a few I play very excessively and gave the rest away.  Sorted alphabetically it is easy to build my decks here and then go find them in my collection.  It took care of the 6 binders and multiple boxes that were taking up a ton of space.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 06:06:21 pm »
That's actually a really good idea. Only two copies of any cards you say, sounds like a goal i'm willing to strive towards.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 07:31:46 pm »
Well, I used the time of lockdown here in germany to go through my binders. I sorted out some cards and put others that might be interesting for someone else in a trade binder.

But I also have 2 big boxes with lands and (un-) commons. usually I just touch those if I need basics for a new deck, or background cards for my proxies. I should really get rid of them, or at least most of them. Maybe someone else could make use of that junk.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 03:18:58 am »
Very true. I always tell my friends that it's only junk if you can't use it. I try to focus on using the rares in my binders and then uncommons that are necessary for the decks. I've got gallon sized ziplock bags of basic lands and non-rare cards in my 800-count boxes. I almost don't want to randomly donate them because some cards do gain value out of nowhere.