deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What kind of interesting brew challenges are you up to?  (Read 781 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
What kind of interesting brew challenges are you up to?
« on: August 17, 2020, 09:20:05 pm »
I've seen people complete the "32 deck challenge" where you build a deck of each colour combination.

I'm personally putting together all Esper commanders (see progress here) - each with a different twist and strategy. Thus far I've covered blinking (flicker), untaps, combo, artifact recursion, Faeries & artifacts, counterspells, lands matter voltron, cycling, life gain, artifact animation, and I'm currently working on a Dragon tribal deck. Not all of the decks are quite finished. I also have ideas for superfriends, bounce, theft / steal, Zombie tribal / reanimation, and attacks matter decks. (Suggestions for Halfdane and Chromium, the Mutable are appreciated!)

What's your personal challenge? How is it coming up?
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: What kind of interesting brew challenges are you up to?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 10:11:53 pm »
Hey man,

That all Esper thing is sick! Such a cool idea. Makes me want to do all Mardu...

Currently my challenge is "stop building so many decks and buying so many cards you goddam degenerate", but it's not working out.

Recently I've built old frame only, Ben-Ben Akki Hermit for Brash Taunter/Stuffy doll attacks and an Ezuri Elfball deck.

Current projects are:

- Cards-that-care-about-each-other tribal (Tron lands, Kaldra equipment, Empires artifacts etc).

- Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun with the aim of getting Marit Lage from Dark depths, giving it double strike and one shotting someone.

- A few years back my wife bought me a real nice wooden box for keeping cards in, all inlayed with the mana symbols on top and stuff. It's the perfect size for 4 sleeved EDH decks and a few dice, so I'm thinking of turning it into like a battle box that I can just take out to a friends house or pull off a shelf. 4 reasonably even powered, easy to pilot decks that can just jam with each other. We have some friends who know how to play and enjoy it but sold their collections years ago but who like to get a game in when they're back in town. Perfect for that kind of thing. Trying to decide on the right decks for that. Currently it has Mairsil, Rubinia, Grismold and Syr Gwyn. Might need some tweaking.

- Thinking about a mono black build where the aim is the cast Repay in Kind then activate pestilence the right amount of times to end the game in a draw.

- Thinking about a deck that is entirely made up of animate lands, vehicles and board wipes.

- Thinking about a manaless dredge deck.

- Thinking about a "Gotcha" deck that just plays cards that only really work if your opponents play a certain way. Things like the trap cards, or my personal favourite Wing Shards (attack first people, play your creatures second main).

- Thinking about a deck that just runs cycles of cards I like. Amonkhet Gods, Onslaught pit fighters, the hideaway lands and their respective creatures to name but a few.

- Thinking about a deck that runs all 5 epic spells and just casts the first one it can in a given game and just sees how it goes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 10:23:34 pm by CleanBelwas »

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 10:36:44 pm »
- Thinking about a manaless dredge deck.
"Oh... Oh no." Is that even doable in EDH? I really, really want to see this build because I've tried and failed. Sounds like some Prime Jank™ with Mesmeric Orb + Seeker of Skybreak / Aphetto Alchemist or some other self mill combo. "Always be yourself unless you can untap - in that case you should always untap."

- Thinking about a deck that runs all 5 epic spells and just casts the first one it can in a given game and just sees how it goes.
This sounds like a fun challenge to complete. Requires some really careful balancing I presume.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 10:46:31 pm »
Is that even doable in EDH?

It's definitely doable, but it's hard to make consistent. Naturally, a singleton 100 card format compared to a 4 of 60 card format means we are scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit for cards to include, but there is an OK shell.

The one I've been working on is here:
https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/1616621-manaless-dredge-in-edh-is-it-p

The aim is to mill as much as possible as quickly as possible with the dredge cards, hit enough self-reanimating creatures like Nether Shadow and Narcomoeba to allow me to flashback Dread Return, reanimate Angel of Glory's Rise and a very specific set of humans to combo off for the win.

If you a decent dredger early on you can fill up the yard with surprising speed, but it's very difficult to make consistent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 11:08:37 pm »
I'm actually in the process of trying to build an Animar Sliver deck and a Karador Sliver deck. Just something to pass time but it's been fun doing so with the color restrictions.
This space for rent.

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 11:14:54 pm »
I used to think I'd do enough decks so that I'll use every color 5 times, say WUB, WBR, WUBRG, G, WR etc.. however this is what I've ended up with thus far:

W decks: W, WUB, WBR, WU
U decks: UB, WUB, WU
B decks: B, WUB, WBR
R decks: WBR, RG
G decks: RG

Basically I'm just not a fan of green in EDH (probably because I hate shuffling) or just like the other colors more. So for now the first order of business is to use
all the Esper colors in all possible combinations - I'm missing mono blue and Orzhov at the moment. After that I'll probably try to fight my OCD to get rid of having
to have some order within the decks.

Edit: Chromium Madness, and throw Hatred in, maybe a pinch of infect too.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 11:20:23 pm by Bonethor »

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 11:29:52 pm »
Halfdane seems like clone tribal could be in the cards.
Chromium, the Mutable could be some take on Esper Madness.
My deck buiding has been happening in Pauper recently. I've been on a GB kick recently, trying to see what else the cards can do. (If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 11:40:23 pm »
Edit: Chromium Madness, and throw Hatred in, maybe a pinch of infect too.
Great ideas! That would be a unique take on the commander.

Halfdane seems like clone tribal could be in the cards.
Chromium, the Mutable could be some take on Esper Madness.
Halfdane is tough. Really tough. Dakkon Blackblade is already a big stick waving his arms so I'm not very keen on the idea of him being another big stick.

I do like the Madness idea, it's now been suggested twice. I think I'll do that.

My deck buiding has been happening in Pauper recently. I've been on a GB kick recently, trying to see what else the cards can do. (If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know)

A Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons is a fun deck my girlfriend used to pilot. Throw in some infect, Attrition and friends and you've got a very formidable removal deck at your hands. Green can even deal with enchantments and artifacts so all your bases are covered. Tokens for the win. (Black Sun's Zenith is your best friend!)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 11:44:19 pm by MustaKotka »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 11:56:51 pm »
Currently my challenge is "stop building so many decks and buying so many cards you goddam degenerate", but it's not working out.
I've given up on that challenge. I built a Meren deck from the ground up during quarantine and have yet to actually play it once. I've played barely any paper games with my Alesha deck that I spent too much money on earlier this year (I bought it and Covid hit like 2 months later). Plz send help. My wallet is kinda scared for Commander Legends, ngl.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 12:08:32 am »
I've seen people complete the "32 deck challenge" where you build a deck of each colour combination.

I've been semi-working towards this for awhile now.  However, I'm stuck on what to build for Abzan.  Way too many of the commanders seem to do very similar re-animate-ry things that I've done a couple of times now.  I started pulling cards for Kathril, Aspect Warper but stopped because too many of the good cards for the deck are ones I'm already using multiple times over in other decks and I'm looking for something different.  I'm hoping Commander Legends updates something from the past into Abzan that will excite me enough to want to build. 

I'm working on Haldan, Avid Arcanist // Pako, Arcane Retriever for Temur.  I have a bunch of 'play everyone else's deck' style cards that I've wanted to use for awhile now and this gives them a home...at least for now.  Betting this will be a deck that I don't get to play very often at all due to salt factor.

I still have mono blue and mono white to go as well.  Blue will probably be Rayne, Academy Chancellor with all of the pay X additional cards like Propaganda, Pursued Whale, Mystic Remora, Frost Titan, etc. though I may keep my card pool restricted like I did for my mono green and one of my mono black decks [Scars block and back] and take a walk down memory lane sorting through fun but crappy old cards from yesteryear and try to make something from it.  Because mono white is so underpowered, I'm likely to go with a silly theme here though not sure exactly what yet. 

Leuname

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 01:49:11 am »
After making my two favourite tribes, I'm actually workin' on completing an Edh Simic cycle! Starting from the tricoloured ones, I've already built Muldrotha and Kalamax, but I really struggle finding a Bant commander that suits me (opinions and ideas always appreciated!); finally I'm gonna conclude with a bang, a classic Simic counters with a capital UG!

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 09:33:49 am »
In fact, I'm not building any EDH deck at the moment. I'm hoping to find the budget for Breed Lethality as I like very much preconstructed editions and hope to find or receive as gift such a great EDH edition. I don't have that much EDH decks, only 2 as Draconomicon and Adaptive Enchantment, and Breed Lethality would be my 3rd EDH and 40 actual deck, but it's a matter of time, money and people's love.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 09:27:06 pm »
Those both could be good for Voltron.  Chromium would favor an Equipment build for sure, so you can just swing in for commander damage easily once you make him unblockable.  I wonder if there's a way to make alternating Halfdane from big to small every other turn would be useful.  Like Meekstone lets him untap when he's small, but then you make him enormous the next turn.  You could also have a variety of high toughness/low power and low toughness/high power creatures in the deck and various payoffs that you could abuse depending on which you need.  Since it's his base power and toughness, +1/+1 counters might be a way to go, since they mean he can always be the biggest thing on the board, plus counters on other creatures would still boost him when he copies them.