deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard][MTGO] Contagious Hero  (Read 394 times)

Quentil

• Decks
[Standard][MTGO] Contagious Hero
« on: July 31, 2020, 07:50:25 pm »
This is currently my most successful Standard deck that doesn't break my wallet on MTGO.  Well, that doesn't also bore me to tears  (Looking at you, Mono Red).  It's White/Green Aggro based around the Precinct Hero and counters.  Probably not all that original, either...Still, thoughts on how to improve it and thoughts in general are welcome.

https://deckstats.net/decks/21453/1713020-contagious-hero

Qimare

• Decks
Re: [Standard][MTGO] Contagious Hero
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 07:05:24 pm »
Hello,

You want to play around Hero, but you have not enough multicoloured spells.
First decide - how you want to play - around counters or around hero - those are two different decks :)
The Bird of Hermes is my name,
Eating my wings to make me tame

Quentil

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 07:42:29 am »
I see it as more than one win condition.  :P  Honestly, I used to have more multicolored spells in it, but it didn't fire off as well. 

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 12:54:09 pm »
Conclave mentor, Ajani the Greathearted, frondland felidar, Ironroot warlord, sumala woodshaper, and worldsoul colossus  are all good options for this deck because they have a form of synergy between themselves and they trigger your hero of precinct one creating an even larger board state for yourself. Also there's the enchantments angelic exaltation, dawn of hope, and divine visitation which would be great for this deck. What do you think?

Quentil

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 07:49:03 pm »
I've tried variations with Worldsoul Colossus, Ironroot Warlord, and Dawn of Hope.  They never really worked.  The Dawn didn't trip enough, the Lions and Shieldmates worked better than the warlords most of the time, and I looked at that Ajani but never really tried it.  I think it was the mana cost--The deck gets weaker when it slows down, and adding those creatures means removing other aspects that have it work.  The Warlords probably worked best of the cards mentioned, although it was highly situational and the secondary ability never saw use.  I honestly don't think Angelic Exaltation or Divine Visitation would help at all.  One limits attackers in a deck that triggers best when 2 or 3 creatures are buffed and attacking early, and the other seems too mana heavy and too reliant on the Hero.  The Hero almost always gets nuked the moment it hits the board.  So depending on it as the main winning condition is iffey.

That said, Conclave Mentor is built for this deck and I completely missed it.  So thanks on that suggestion!  Well, for all suggestions.  I agree that some of the cards you suggested look like good fits.  In reality, they didn't seem to work as well, though.  The Shieldmates have been surprsingly and astonishingly good adds to the deck.  I think I took out a set of the Warlords actually for them, and winning went up considerably. 

The deck tends to win with speed and attrition.  If the Hero gets out (and stays out) and adds fodder to be pumped, then it almost always wins through blunt force.  When it doesn't, the deck tends to wear down the opponent with a couple ever-stronger creatures that get into play quickly and that are replaced as fast as they are removed.  Throw in the white sidecar of Enchantment removal and some vigilance to deal with the biggest threats, and it does well.  Definitely gonna try the Mentor though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:54:44 pm by Quentil »

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 07:01:06 am »
Well decks that revolve around the abzan colors (Orzhov, Selesnya, Golgari and abzan included) tend to be attrition based because they either focus on their durability or longevity. If you can get a small creature big and sneak it in for some damage then that might also be effective.