deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Sprite Dragon Spells  (Read 531 times)

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
Sprite Dragon Spells
« on: August 07, 2020, 06:33:40 am »
Here's the deck. Take a look:

https://deckstats.net/decks/151238/1718354-sprite-dragon-shpells/en

Strategy:

1. Play down your Sprite Dragons and keep mana open for spells.
2. Remove all defenses and attacks with the targeted removal and burn spells, which all power up your Sprite Dragons (or your Spellgorger Weirds / Brineborn Cutthroats).
3. Use the synergy from spells for extra benefits (Stormwing Entity, Shark Typhoon).
4. Take off and absolutely destroy the opponent with things like Teferi, Master of Time, and play your Shocks, Dismissals, and Infuriates from your graveyard with Dreadhorde Arcanist.

All other cards contribute to one of these 4 points of strategy.

Strengths:
 - Aggro Decks
 - Control Decks
 - Midrange Decks
 - Mill and Discard Decks

Weaknesses:
 - Lifegain Decks
 - Dies Triggers Decks
 - Elder Gargaroth

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
Re: Sprite Dragon Spells
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 06:39:57 am »

Revision 2

Changed amounts:
+1 Mythos of Illuna
+1 Shark Typhoon
-1 Spellgorger Weird

With a little bit of tinkering, we can now cross "Dies Triggers Decks" off the list. The only problem with it is that sometimes you draw too many islands and not enough mountains, then sometimes it's the other way around. With a strategic deck like this, one turn of idling makes a huge difference.

When I get more money I'll add more Steam Vents.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 08:34:42 am »
Just as a suggestion, since Ravnica will be rolling out of rotation soon would it help to have more current cards in your deck build such rielle, the everwise since you're spell slinging? Also if you have any cycling cards in your deck then she basically nets you 2 cards per cycle. i think that's what people would consider to be a +1 in standard?

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 09:45:16 am »
Just as a suggestion, since Ravnica will be rolling out of rotation soon would it help to have more current cards in your deck build such rielle, the everwise since you're spell slinging? Also if you have any cycling cards in your deck then she basically nets you 2 cards per cycle. i think that's what people would consider to be a +1 in standard?

I hadn't considered Rielle before, and she seems like a great fit! Once I've collected her, she will go straight into the deck. When rotation comes, adding more cycling cards will be very beneficial. (At the moment I have stalled bying singles for paper and have run out of wildcards in MTGA ::) )

Thanks for the suggestion! I really appreciate any input for my decks.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 06:41:51 am »
No problem, i hope that it helps and i hope you get your hands on her before she jumps up in price.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 07:21:27 am »

Revision 3

A little more tinkering, and this deck shot me straight up to Gold Tier 1 in MTGA, and I expect to be in Platinum tomorrow. (I love this deck so much. If you can, please play it. I want to share the joy, and the combos you get are mind-blowing. :) )

Thanks again to G. Moto for suggesting Rielle, the Everwise. When I got her out (even though I haven't added many cycling cards yet) she absolutely blasted off comboed with Teferi, Master of Time. Her passive made his +1 (which can be activated on your opponent's turns) into "Draw a card, discard a card, then draw another card," and that got me to victory at a mad pace. I would add more "Opt"s, but I'm out of common wildcards.

Added/removed cards:
-2 Brineborn Cutthroat
-3 Infuriate
-1 Spellgorger Weird
+3 Goblin Electromancer
+1 Niv-Mizzet, Parun
+1 Opt
+1 Reconnaissance Mission
+1 Rielle, the Everwise
+1 Unsummon

Changed amounts:
-1 Chandra's Outrage
-1 Island
-1 Mountain
-1 Shark Typhoon
+1 Steam Vents

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 11:28:46 am »
If you want to go a carddraw/cycling-road Faerie Vandal could be a nice beater besides Sprite Dragon. It lacks haste but can be cast at instant speed instead.  :D

Maybe Improbable Alliance or Irencrag Pyromancer could be worth, too.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 11:37:39 am by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 12:27:54 am »
If you want to go a carddraw/cycling-road Faerie Vandal could be a nice beater besides Sprite Dragon. It lacks haste but can be cast at instant speed instead.  :D

Maybe Improbable Alliance or Irencrag Pyromancer could be worth, too.
When rotation comes and the deck is overhauled, I'll see what direction it goes. I think that those cards would definitely be useful if I made the deck all-out cycling, so I'll keep them in mind.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 03:48:32 pm »
I'm glad that my advice could be fruitful for your progress. Keep up the good work and keep having fun  ;)

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 03:31:04 am »
Okay, I've done a complete revamp and started from the bottom up, and I have to say... it's even better than before. Officially a competitive platinum deck in MTGA, and it's even faster than before. Unfortunately, due to the lack of cycling cards in the revamp, I had to remove Rielle. There simply isn't enough use for her anymore, especially since I also removed Teferi.

The only deck type that this is vulnerable to now is removal. Those damned Golgari and Rakdos burn/targeted removal spells really know how to break the engine. It is still very possible to win, just you'd better pray that you get the right draw and you've got to have good experience in playing strategically to know when to save and when to play those spells. This is not a deck for those that just like bashing their opponents over the head with big creatures *cough cough Gruul cough cough*. This is pure strategy.

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
-2 Mischievous Chimera
-1 Sea-Dasher Octopus
+1 Brazen Borrower // Petty Theft
+1 Dreadhorde Arcanist
+2 Lore Drakkis

Changed amounts:
-1 Winged Words

P.S. this is Revision 2 of the revamped edition, I forgot to post when I made the first revision ::)

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 03:13:34 am »
Are there any spells that give your creatures hexproof or shroud at instant speed? If "removal" is the problem then why not make it so your creatures could not be targeted?

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 04:03:07 am »
Are there any spells that give your creatures hexproof or shroud at instant speed? If "removal" is the problem then why not make it so your creatures could not be targeted?

There's always Starlit Mantle, I guess. I'll do some testing with it in the deck later on and see how it goes.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 04:23:35 am »
I hope it works. If not then it may be necessary to drop the creatures then. It would be a shame to spell sling without being able to deal damage and finish your enemies.