deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Deck Advice  (Read 309 times)

xea

• Decks
Deck Advice
« on: August 07, 2020, 08:57:10 am »
Hello I am new to magic and i wanted to try and make a themed deck from the ground up. this deck is my version of a bird theme tempo deck where my focus is to get my creature stronger, by using synergies, and general low cost. to overwhelm my opponent, and counter their response spells.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:59:11 am by xea »

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
Re: Deck Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 09:01:14 am »
Hello I am new to magic and i wanted to try and make a themed deck from the ground up. this deck is my version of a bird theme tempo deck where my focus is to get my creature stronger, by using synergies, and general low cost. to overwhelm my opponent, and counter their response spells.

Welcome to mtg and deckstats. :D

Sadly I can't open the document. Deckstats provides a pretty good deckbuilder. I think it's easier for everyone to give you feedback on your deck if you post the created list here.
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

xea

• Decks

xea

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 07:15:42 pm »
Thanks for the feed back Akira Foxmind, i looked up the guide and now it should be better.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 07:42:40 pm »
Thanks for the feed back Akira Foxmind, i looked up the guide and now it should be better.

You're welcome.  :)

Now for feedback on your deck (assuming you have access to every card or are willing to buy):
First, cut down to exactly 60 cards.

1. I would drop the 4 Metallic Mimic for +2 Favorable Winds and +2 Empyrean Eagle.
2. Rally of Wings is an auto-include for flyer-decks.
3. Skycat Sovereign may be a cheaper option to Ornitharch (manawise) if you want bird tokens.
4. No need to include it, but Gust of Wind provides a card for 1 more mana (comparing to Unsummon)
5. Squadron Hawk could be a nice add. It secures that you have enough creatures to cast.
6. finally: I would consider dropping green. I don't really see why it is nesessary for the deck.

That's it for now. Those points are suggestions that I with my individual playstyle would consider, so it might be that there are better options/cards to my ideas.

____

Edit:
I forgot about Pride of the Clouds::)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:45:59 pm by Akira Foxmind »
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

xea

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 08:00:52 pm »
Thanks i will defiantly add the rally wings and gust of wind, those are great cards. as for the mimic, I kept that at 4 because i notice when i was playing the deck on mage, it really help boast my creature overall power and survivability, while empyrean eagle helped, it would get targeted really quickly, and then when it leaves it would make me more vulnerable. I was informed that mimic just made for a better lord ( i believe i'm using that word right) but ill run some more matches and test out which is more consistent. I think i will switch to the skycat, i mainly used Ornitharch because it pressured, my opponent, in to making a choice of which they wanted to deal with between the tokens giving me more board presence, with the tokens, or just a big scary flying beat stick. and as for the green do you mean the mana dorks, ( hope i'm using that correctly) of Birds of Paradise and Gilded goose?

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 08:17:01 pm »
I see that the boost from Metallic Mimic remains even if he gets removed. For that he is an even better and cheaper lord then the Eagle. The problem with him is, that he needs to be on the battlefield before other creatures come down to have them pumped. I try to explain my point with 2 scenarios:

Turn 1: Play Island and Cloudfin Raptor
Turn 2: Play Plains and Skycat Sovereign; counter on Raptor; Raptor attacks for 1
Turn 3: Play any land and Empyrean Eagle; counter on Raptor; Raptor and Skycat attack for 7 (hope I did not misscalculate here)

Turn 1: Play Island and Cloudfin Raptor
Turn 2: Play Plains and Metallic Mimic; Raptor attacks for 1
Turn 3: Play land and any creature which gets a counter; Raptor attacks for 1 or 2 (depending on the played creature) and Mimic might not be able to attack since he is not flying

The first scenario is way more aggressive and straight forward. One more reason for me to play Eagle over Mimic is that eagle is 2 power with flying, so he is not toooo bad if you draw him in the later game. Drawing Mimic in topdeck mode is a 2/1 creature with nothing more (as a single card, considering the next draws are bad).

Yes, I meant the mana dorks. Ramp is nice to have, but in a deck which has no card that costs more than 3 mana I don't think its important. Getting 3 lands on board shouldn't be a problem, since you have some cards that provides card draw.  ;)

If you want to protect your important creatures (for example the lords) you could cut Will of the All-hunter for feat of resistance. It only gives one counter but that is not bound to any condition like a blocking creature.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:26:30 pm by Akira Foxmind »
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------