deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Help with Cuts for Commander Deck  (Read 227 times)

Uchihab7

• Decks
Help with Cuts for Commander Deck
« on: August 14, 2020, 01:46:15 am »
I need some help with cuts on a deck I'm making.  Its been a few days and I still cant decide on even a single card.  I need to make 7 to get it down to the 100.  Ignore the wonky number of Islands, i calculate mana base after ive cut down to 100.  The theme of the deck is Esper Taxes; so making opponents pay extra to do stuff (like mana or life).   Any help is super appreciated.

8-14-20 8:11 EST  Edit: Now just 3 more cuts needed

https://deckstats.net/decks/134852/1720686-esper-taxes/en#show__spoiler

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:12:02 pm by Uchihab7 »

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: Help with Cuts for Commander Deck
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 02:18:57 am »
The deck is a little wonky in many places.

Let's start with ramp. Esper doesn't have many choices: it's mana rocks or nothing. Thus you should run all of the Talismans. You can safely cut Commander's Sphere and Obelisk of Esper for the three Talismans: Talisman of Dominance, Talisman of Hierarchy, Talisman of Progress. You're now at 108 cards.

Then we need to tackle the big boogeyman: draw. You've got very little draw power. This is an issue because you're running a high number of counterspells in your deck and those are always going to be relative card disadvantage for you. (You lose a full card, your opponents lose third of a card each on average.) Read the Bones is good. You could also consider Night's Whisper, Sign in Blood, Painful Truths, Pull from Tomorrow, Stroke of Genius. Some people like Phyrexian Arena a lot - looking at your deck you're probably going to have a little longer games so it could be worth it. You're now at 110+ cards. Let's start cutting.

I'm just sorting the deck from low CMC to high CMC. Vraska's Contempt is the first one that juts out. You don't need the extra life. You're better off with Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile. Same goes for Eat to Extinction. Instead of Settle the Wreckage you should probably run a full board wipe because you'll have a little more control over what gets destroyed and what doesn't. Merciless Eviction if you need the "exile" instead of just destroy.

Geist of the Archives and Sphinx of Foresight aren't worth it. The scry they provide isn't that significant and you're not using the body as anything else except a blocker. Away they go.

Dovin, Architect of Law is pretty expensive for what it does. You need for him to stick so that you get your card advantage and for the first few turns your rate of mana-per-card is just abysmal.

I'm sorry but I don't kind of get Ashiok, Nightmare Muse at all. She's not advancing your plan pretty much at all.

Enter the God-Eternals, Ethereal Absolution, Shark Typhoon and Mind's Dilation (I know, sorry) aren't cards that win you games. For that amount of mana you should be getting a lot more results.

Here's the main rule: 1-3 mana good, cannot have too many draw spells and anything above 5 mana should win you games already. Let me know how the shaving goes and maybe I can help you a little more afterwards.

EDIT: What's your win condition, by the way? How do you plan to finish the game?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:32:01 am by MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/