deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What deck of yours has changed Commanders?  (Read 814 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
What deck of yours has changed Commanders?
« on: September 02, 2020, 09:24:47 pm »
The only deck I've changed the commander while keeping the basis of the deck the same would be my Karador, Ghost Chieftain Shadowborn Apostle deck. Originally the commander was Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker but it was changed for a few reasons- once Shirei was removed a few times it was borderline if he was worth recasting, the colors Karador had offered up Edgewalker, Bloodbond March, Remembrance, and a better overall removal suite. Then it was changed to Saskia the Unyielding for access to the Rakdos demons. It didn't stay Saskia very long as they didn't add as much to the deck as I thought they would. It's now back to Karador and has been for around two years with minimal changes made to the deck at all (the most recent I can think of was adding Dire Tactics & Razaketh though I do plan on play-testing Luminous Broodmoth if I ever trade for one).

So what decks if any have you changed the Commander up on while still keeping the basis of the deck in tact?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:15:00 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: What deck of yours has changed Commanders?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 09:35:34 pm »
I used to play Naba, Dean of Iteration as a Wizards tribal deck but that got replaced by Barrin, Tolarian Archmage. In the trade I got some more interesting mechanics and possibilities outside of just straight tribal deck. Also the combos I run now are much more robust and better in general, thanks to me switching commanders and freeing up some design space from the deck. Other than that I don't tend to switch commanders around too much; I just brew a new deck altogether.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 09:41:05 pm »
My Gruul beast-stompy deck started with Ruric Thar the Unbowed but I swapped to Xenagos, God of Revels for the haste boost, leaving Ruric in the 99 for some control.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 03:19:22 am »
I took out Kresh the Bloodbraided as my commander and i switched him for Hallar, the Firefletcher which was in the 99. Originally i built the deck for Hallar and put kresh at the helm because i wanted access to black mana so that i can use black kicker spells. However, having Hallar in the deck makes the deck have less synergy and easier to remove permanently compared to having him as the commander. So now it went from a Jund devour deck to a Gruul Big Mana deck. I'm working on revising it right now but it's gonna be elf tribe style in it's build and it'll allow for me to pump out some serious mana for kicker spells. 

IknowThatGuy

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 03:52:07 am »
I have an Eldrazi deck that used to have Thraximundar at the helm, but I've recently changed it to be Rayami, First of the Fallen because it feels like red looses potency as the game goes on, and green is better at generalized mana things.
(Also I want to make a Nicol bolas deck, and i don't want to have two commanders in the same color combo)
Do I make good decks?
No.
But do I make fun decks?
Also No.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 04:03:01 am »
I have an Eldrazi deck that used to have Thraximundar at the helm, but I've recently changed it to be Rayami, First of the Fallen because it feels like red looses potency as the game goes on, and green is better at generalized mana things.
(Also I want to make a Nicol bolas deck, and i don't want to have two commanders in the same color combo)

Do you have this deck posted so that we can help aid you in deck construction or revisions? Or is this a project for later?

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:42:21 am »
I'd never thought about it too much until this thread, but I actually end up doing this quite a lot. It probably comes from my love of jank shite. My decks will usually have a certain thing in mind I want it to do, but usually that isn't specifically related to the commander. Some good examples are:

Old frame cards only. Originally I built this deck with Cromat, but fixing is hard in old frame so I went from an assortment of 5 colour old frame cards I like to Grixis dragon reanimator with OG Bolas at the helm. Deck is a lot more focused and consistent as a result (don't get me wrong though, it's still shit), but still uses only old frame cards.

Sultai graveyard. Everyone has had a Sultai graveyard deck at some point, right? So far I've done Sidisi, Mimeoplasm and Tasigur, and now I'm back on Sidisi with a dredge sub-theme.

The best example is my Aristocrats deck. I FUCKING LOVE Aristocrats. I used to run mono black with Yahenni at the helm. My god was that deck hateful. It was so mean. It was just edict effects and hand attack and soft locks stopping people from getting any sort of presence in the game. I loved it. My friends and I play casual jank though, and it was just too much. I pulled a Queen Marchesa from a Mystery Booster (remember when paper drafting was a thing? Those were good days), so I took the plunge and built Mardu Aristocrats instead. Felt bad to say goodbye to my favourite deck, but it was for the benefit of the playgroup so it was worth it. Mardu is my favourite 3 colour combo, it lets me play all my old favourite cards like Falkenrath Aristocrat and Butcher of the Horde and the Monarch mechanic is just fun for the table. The deck is still strong in my meta and it still has a decent win rate, but my playgroup have a lot more fun playing against it so it was definitely a worthwhile change.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 03:06:54 pm »
The only two I can think of off the top of my head are my myr combo deck and my landfall deck

The myr deck is an artifact combo deck built around making infinite mana with Myr Galvanizer. I originally ran Alela, Artful Provocateur as the commander along with a ton of altars to cast some artifacts, make some fairies, and then grind up the fairies with a Phyrexian Altar or an Ashnod's Altar or something to cast more artifacts. It worked pretty well, but was heavily reliant on getting an altar and a lot of cheap artifacts. I switched the commanders to Thrasios, Triton Hero and Silas Renn, Seeker Adept. White wasn't doing much for me aside from the obvious Swords to Plowshares, etc... so switching to Sultai gave me powerful ramp, a couple of infinite combo enablers like Earthcraft, and access to things like Sylvan Library. Also, Thrasios is always a powerful backup win.

The other deck is my Omnath, Locus of Rage landfall deck. I loved OG Omnath back when it first came out, and gruul Omnath looked like a fun build. I skipped temur Omnath because adding blue didn't seem worth the worse commander, but new ink-treader Omnath is about to add a couple of colors to the deck. I'm excited to see what 4 color landfall looks like.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 04:27:11 pm »
My first iteration of my Merfolk deck had Tishana, Voice of Thunder as the Commander, but as soon as I learned of the existence of Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca, I swapped.

Marwyn, the Nurturer was the original commander of my Elf deck and is probably the reason I actually got into Commander. My playgroup didn't run a lot of removal at the time, and even with a really bad deck, she popped off hard.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 12:39:55 am »
I had a monoblue spell slinger deck captained by Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar.  It was maybe the second commander deck I ever built, but, unlike my first attempt (Kamahl, Fist of Krosa), Tomorrow just never made any impact on the board, and a lot of the things I wanted to do were well supported by red, so I eventually changed to Niv-Mizzet, Parun so I could splash red and take advantage of the Curiosity "infinite" draw combo.  It was notably improved, but I eventually got a really good deal on the Kalamax, the Stormsire pre-con, and once again had a great opportunity to splash in another color while still doing everything I wanted to do.  Now the deck is probably only about 50% original cards, but each change of commanders only resulted in maybe 10 or so new cards at a time, so, even though the overall deck is quite different than the original, I still think of it as being the same deck that it started as.

I've also occasionally switched which Teysa leads my Aristocrats deck.  I have more infinite combo options with Teysa Karlov, but an easier combo to asssemble with Teysa, Orzhov Scion.  I usually stick with the later.

Warden of Silence

• Weeb, comic nerd, theater geek, also hella cute
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 02:20:17 am »
I entered the format with Sen Triplets as my commander. I was attracted to Esper and a control strategy, and they seemed like the perfect card. I have since moved over to Zur the Enchanter. Many of the cards remain, but the strategy has shifted.
Symmetrical effects are fair.