deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Tribal Tribal  (Read 530 times)

stuffnsuch

• Decks
Tribal Tribal
« on: September 10, 2020, 12:06:11 am »
I've wanted to build a Tribal Tribal commander deck for a while now.  The idea would be to get a bunch of powerful tribal cards that do interesting or crazy things when paired together but normally wouldn't work together because they're for different creature types.  For instance if you got all the cards from Scourge's warchief cycle, then Morophon, the Boundless is now a hasty 9/9 for just 2 and has regenerate.  I'm guessing Morophon would be a great commander for this sort of deck, but I'm open to other suggestions.
What other cards would you recommend (besides basically every changeling)?  What's the most busted combination of effects you can come up with?  If I did go with Morophon, what creature type would you pick when you cast it, since most of your shapeshifters are already every type?

Warden of Silence

• Weeb, comic nerd, theater geek, also hella cute
  • Decks
Re: Tribal Tribal
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 02:11:37 am »
For this strategy, I really like the Reaper King. With a Conspiracy, Xenograft, or Arcane Adaptation out, every creature will come with destroying anything on the board (you could also just kick Rite of Replication and blow 25 things up). I think Morophon works really well too, and either one would fit well into their respective decks.

I would look for cards that grant powerful bonuses to their tribes. Consider Crested Windemere for indestructible and making more tokens, Lord of Atlantis for Islandwalk, or Drogskol Captain for Hexproff. Being able to copy your enchantments that change creature types so you can have multiple bonuses going on could be powerful.
Symmetrical effects are fair.

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 02:21:13 am »
Call to the grave to have a permanent thorn in the opponents side if you have basically every changeling and not much for other tribes outside of zombies it eventually becomes a must answer threat especially if you have any way to give indestructible and force a board clear.  At worst it creates counter tempo which is always good.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 03:06:20 pm »
I'd say Morophon is probably your best bet, and this is probably going to turn into a really odd voltron deck. I would look for some of the tribal cards that give busted effects, like Kinsbaile Cavalier. Ezuri, Renegade Leader would regenerate Morophon for G. Eladamri, Lord of Leaves gives shroud and forestwalk. Spells like Notorious Throng become pretty serious bombs.

This sounds like the weirdest sliver deck ever.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 12:33:10 am »
So, I found a really interesting interaction.  I included just about every tribal cost reducer (such as the Scourge Warchief cycle and the Morningtide Banneret cycle) and with Morophon reducing colored mana costs, my Changelings all become free spells.  With a Cloudstone Curio, Tidespout Tyrant, or Equilibrium in play, I can usually get unlimited ETBs, so whether I'm drawing my library with Wirewood Savage, destroying the board with Reaper King, or just dealing damage to the face with Dragon Tempest, once I get going, it's pretty close to game over.  A bit of ramp to drop Morophon early and some haste enablers and Cryptolith Rite effects, and this has become a really exciting deck.  It went a completely different direction than I expected (who knew I'd end up focusing on an infinite combo as my wincon in a tribal deck?) but I think that's what makes brewing so fun.  I found an interaction I never would have expected and now I've got a really cool deck.

Here's what I've got so far (the mana base is crazy expensive, but I can't really afford the deck anyways as it stands, so why not dream big?):

Tribal Tribal
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:37:56 am by stuffnsuch »

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 05:09:49 am »
(who knew I'd end up focusing on an infinite combo as my wincon in a tribal deck?)

Elves, dragons, and goblins knew. Welcome to the club.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 09:19:51 am »
Or what you could try is playing morophon, the boundless as an Eldrazi commander? There's plenty of colorless support running around and he does reduce the colored mana for those eldrazi that have colors as well. It kinda feels like slivers a bit if you have a decent setup.