deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kaalia - looking for opinions and advice  (Read 1125 times)

Blackout7734

• Decks
Kaalia - looking for opinions and advice
« on: September 14, 2020, 08:21:34 pm »
Kaalia

Been working on my angels for some time now, unfortunately I'm missing some shock lands and stuff.

Kinda going for an aggro approach, adding Gisela, terror of the peaks and warstorm surge for extra damage.

Open for suggestions, thank you for your time

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
Re: Kaalia - looking for opinions and advice
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 08:45:46 pm »
I'm running Kaalia, Zenith Seeker myself. I have some flicker effects (Ephemerate, Restoration Angel and even more) to make good use of Kaalia's digging. It also protects her if you flicker at instant speed. Might be worth adding for you, too.

Since Angels, Demons and Dragons are pretty big hitters by default, I don't think your anthems are necessary.

I understand, that you want to run an Angel tribal deck. But you need way more demons and dragons (or at least one either of them) to really get Kaalia to her full potential. It's great if she hits 3 bombs with one trigger.  :D

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 08:48:08 pm by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Blackout7734

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 09:18:56 pm »
i'll keep that in mind

yeah i have a hard time separating from any angel  :-[

with the anthems, i agree, maybe i'll find some good dragons or demons i can replace them with.

thanks!

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 09:22:56 pm »
i'll keep that in mind

yeah i have a hard time separating from any angel  :-[

with the anthems, i agree, maybe i'll find some good dragons or demons i can replace them with.

thanks!

You're welcome  :D

That's at least what I experienced during matches with my deck. But maybe it works out for you the way it is.
If you want to add dragons and demons, I suggest to choose those with cmc 4 or 5. It's perfect if you get Kaalia out on turn 3 and she gets you 4 and 5 drops so that you can curve out.
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

_clay_

• Server Manager for the Tryhards & Kaalia Discords
    • Links for Tryhards
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 11:18:50 pm »
What type of Kaalia build are you aiming for?

Budget? Battlecruiser? High Power? cEDH?

If you're on Discord, subscribe to the Kaalia cEDH Discord (https://discord.gg/ECyeaBq). We're not solely a cEDH forum - we do discuss all types of Kaalia builds and we have a number of recognized, competent Kaalia builders just hanging out and answering questions.
Hello, my name is Clay and I am a Tryhard.
Follow us on Discord: www.discord.gg/vzAgFQEJXM

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 08:41:11 am »
I also have a Kaalia, Zenith Seeker deck and i know how it feels to wanna stick to one creature type with the deck. Unfortunately unlike the older version of Kaalia you do need to have a somewhat even spread. I can post a link of my current build if you wanna get some ideas. It's still a work in progress but it can hold its own on the battlefield.

https://deckstats.net/decks/24826/1718193-kaalia-zenith-seeker 

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 10:02:04 am »
I too play a Kaalia, zenith seeker commander deck. I haven't played a lot with it, but in my experience you should resist the temptation to put all the powerfull but expensive (in CMC) angels, demons and dragons in your deck.

The advice above to put some flicker effects in the deck is also a suggestion I would make. And just add more cheap creatures (in CMC) in the deck. Ik know most of the good ones aren't cheap (in €'s or $'s) but you have to have al lot of them to get the deck going. I still find it hard to cast all of the creatures in my deck with an average CMC of 3,98. Your deck has an average CMC of 4,48 (and the deck from G. Moto has an even higher CMC). I think you'll have to add at least two lands, Mardu isn't known for it's ramp options other than manarocks. I still find creatures that I cannot play immediately, but it plays much smoother now that I lowered the the CMC.

Here's my deck, maybe you'll find some other usefull ideas in it.
https://deckstats.net/decks/104951/1441033-kaalias-flying-friends#show__stats
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:10:34 am by paulusdeboself »

Blackout7734

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 06:16:21 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the awesome responses I'm soaking everything in like a sponge, I'll work on it!

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 04:12:33 am »
I too play a Kaalia, zenith seeker commander deck. I haven't played a lot with it, but in my experience you should resist the temptation to put all the powerfull but expensive (in CMC) angels, demons and dragons in your deck.

The advice above to put some flicker effects in the deck is also a suggestion I would make. And just add more cheap creatures (in CMC) in the deck. Ik know most of the good ones aren't cheap (in €'s or $'s) but you have to have al lot of them to get the deck going. I still find it hard to cast all of the creatures in my deck with an average CMC of 3,98. Your deck has an average CMC of 4,48 (and the deck from G. Moto has an even higher CMC). I think you'll have to add at least two lands, Mardu isn't known for it's ramp options other than manarocks. I still find creatures that I cannot play immediately, but it plays much smoother now that I lowered the the CMC.

That is a fair assessment of my deck build. The idea was to use the commander to get them in my hand quickly, then use discard tactics to recur the high drop creatures from the graveyard for a lower cost. In my play group pod i'm known as "The King of Recursion" so it's a title i aim to maintain  8)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 01:02:05 pm »
Master of Cruelties use to be a staple of Kaalia decks, is it not anymore?
This space for rent.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 02:54:12 pm »
I think that's because they're running Kaalia, Zenith Seeker and not Kaalia of the Vast.

As an aside:
I'm going to say something controversial, please don't crucify me: Master of Cruelties is overrated, even in decks that can get around his "must attack alone" effect (thinking of Alesha, Who Smiles at Death & Kaalia of the Vast rn). It's not too likely that any opponent will have 0 creatures to block a Master of Cruelties, and even if they don't, then what? You killed one player. Now the other 2 know exactly what's going on. Your options during future turns are either don't attack with him or don't attack with your other creatures with valuable attack triggers. Say you have another card on board that can get him back into hand or into graveyard so you can try to pull the same trick again. This time, like I already said, your opponents know. They will either remove him before you can even get him out of play, they will remove your commander, or they will block him. In my experience, I very rarely kill even 1 person with him (and it's sort of unfun even if I do, as that 1 poor player will likely just be sitting there for a while because I can't realistically kill another person with him), and never get more than 1 person.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 06:47:13 pm »
You're not wrong for having your opinion on this. Though he may be rated highly for this one particular tactic he does have much value. For example, if he has skulk with cards such as skeleton key, it'll be difficult for anyone to block him. Or just use key to the city and make him outright unblockable. If you're worried by how slow he is you can always simply add him to a deck that takes multiple combat steps. This way you can hit multiple people and if need be burn them out for damage afterwards for that last one point of damage.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 08:19:30 pm »

That is a fair assessment of my deck build. The idea was to use the commander to get them in my hand quickly, then use discard tactics to recur the high drop creatures from the graveyard for a lower cost. In my play group pod i'm known as "The King of Recursion" so it's a title i aim to maintain  8)

I did not see the recursion package. But that's a good way to go for sure!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 11:17:28 pm »
I think that's because they're running Kaalia, Zenith Seeker and not Kaalia of the Vast.

Oops, didn't notice that.
This space for rent.

tshroom

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 11:49:06 pm »
I've been using Crush Contraband over Return to Dust in all my white decks. It's easier to cast with only one color mana pip and it hits 2 targets regardless of turn. Also Sneak Attack and Ilharg, the Raze-Boar will give you some old school Kaalia flavor in the new school Kaalia deck.