English-language Forums > Commander Discussion

Stopping Combos

<< < (3/4) > >>

Judaspriester:
Just out of curiosity, why use Sentinel Totem in stead of Soul-Guide Lantern?
The costs are the same, the lantern only affects all opponents graveyards, can be recycled and also can be sacrificed for 1 mana for a card draw in case gravehate isn't reelevant in the current game.
I mean we can argue about scry 1 vs exile one card out of a graveyard for the more useful etb, but afterwards, the lantern is, at least for me, strict better (and roughly at the same price).

Morganator 2.0:
It was just the first card that came to mind. Relic of Progenitus is another one that does just about the same thing, but it costs money and more mana.

PB1980:
Hello,
thank you very much for this overview.
It is right up my alley since for years now I have been working on decks to stop combo's and at local tournaments I have been quite succesful.
To the utter frustration of combo players  ;)

When I was reading your list of Split second spells there are 2 I use often but you don't mention.
I assume bcz of the mana cost but would love to hear your opinion.
Wipe Away
Word of Seizing
Very few people in my different communities knew these 2 or had forgotten about them.

Word of seizing is actually now an auto include for me in many decks that play red.
I know 5 mana is a lot but often I get to stop a combo or I steal a combo piece so I can combo off myself.
Nothing more satisfying then stopping a combo and using your opponents card to win yourself.

Also what is your opinion about Teferi, Time Raveler with regards to anti combo?
I have found him a very nice card to include in decks I play. His static ability seems to block of more then people realise and opens up other venues for me.
One of my favorite decks is a 4 color deck. Build around wheels.
Having him in there has tought me a lot.
The ability to wheel instant speed is actually really powerful.
And the fact that you are forcing your opponents to play at sorcery speed has saved me many many times.

Just wanted to say thanks for your work on the article and curious about your opinion.
thanks

Morganator 2.0:

--- Quote from: PB1980 on December 09, 2020, 12:18:39 am ---When I was reading your list of Split second spells there are 2 I use often but you don't mention.
I assume bcz of the mana cost but would love to hear your opinion.
Wipe Away
Word of Seizing
Very few people in my different communities knew these 2 or had forgotten about them.

Word of seizing is actually now an auto include for me in many decks that play red.
I know 5 mana is a lot but often I get to stop a combo or I steal a combo piece so I can combo off myself.
Nothing more satisfying then stopping a combo and using your opponents card to win yourself.

--- End quote ---

So you're right, these are pretty high cost. Having to leave 5 mana open means you likely gave up your turn for this one play. You also have to remember that in a lot of cases you don't need split second to stop combos. They're useful against instant-speed combos and they can't be countered, but in many cases other removal will work just as well.

These cards you've brought up also don't fully stop a combo, they just delay them. Your opponent is going to get another chance to combo. Also, what combos are you using Word of Seizing against? And how are you able to then copy their combo by just taking one card? That doesn't sound like something that happens often enough to warrant using this card.

--- Quote from: PB1980 on December 09, 2020, 12:18:39 am ---Also what is your opinion about Teferi, Time Raveler with regards to anti combo?
I have found him a very nice card to include in decks I play.

--- End quote ---

Teferi (and cards like Grand Abolisher and City of Solitude) works as combo protection more than combo prevention. If you control Teferi and are trying to combo, you know that no one is going to interrupt you. Likewise, if an opponent controls Teferi, you know that there is only one player that can try to stop you. He does nothing to stop combos.

PB1980:
Hi,
sorry it has taken so long to answer your question.
In the playgroups where I have been active the past few years. A one turn disruption/delay is often enough. As I only play multiplayer,  2-3 players having a full turn to get rid of a combo is useful.
I play the standard spot removals and board wipes. (10-15 slots in most of my decks)
But my play groups are very counter heavy.
Split second, anti counter are things I constantly look for to put into my decks.

And yes 5 mana is a lot. And yes leaving yourself open is a risk.
But one many people don't expect and it has saved me lots of times. (keep in mind tho that most games I play in my groups last well into 10 turns)
Once people know it, it becomes harder. But bluffing helps here too.
As for targets for Word Of Seizing
The chain Veil
Heliod, Sun-crowned
Staff of domination
Phyrexian and Ashnod's altar
Helm of Obedience
Leyline of the void
Blasting station
Kiki jiki
Pestermite
Dead Eye navigator
Lithoform Engine

Sometimes even walking balista with a lot of counters on it. (depending on how my opponent activates it)

Seeing as i have some decks that actually play combo's as well, I can often steal one piece from them and add in my own piece.
Once I took over a faeburrow Elder, I enchanted it with freed from the real and went infinite many to finish with walking balista.
Once I had Altar of the brood on the table.
An opponent countered my kiki jiki and then they exiled my graveyard. To mock me they left my Pestermite on the field.
2 turns later a player wanted to go kiki jiki + pestermite on us. Guess what I did.
I used Word of Seizing to steal his kiki jiki and I won. It actually won me the tournament. :)

But i agree 5 mana often leaves me open and at risk.

No guts no glory I guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version