deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What's been going on?  (Read 1937 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
What's been going on?
« on: September 25, 2020, 04:56:03 pm »
Good afternoon, guys and girls.

I've not been on for a while and I apologise for that, and by 'a while' I mean years, haha.
As you can see I'm alive, and have not replaced by a cybernetic entity. Well, you can't know for sure.
What's been going on, what's changed in MTG, specifically on the forum? How is everything with you guys?
Is there anyone I even still remember? @Wwolfe is still spoilering in my absence, as it should be =P

Kind regards!

Mnemosyne

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: What's been going on?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 05:06:13 pm »
Welcome back. First and foremost:

• The forums are more active, and Commander has two forums dedicated to itself
  • There is a lot of solidarity between users helping each other during this pandemic. It's a really nice thing to behold. Fortunately, none of the regular posters have nodded off.
  • ApothecaryGeist is most definitely a drug dealer.
  • Red_Wyrm and Wizardspartan are jokingly engaged. It is just as cute as you think it is.
  • Flash finally got banned in commander
  • Myself, WWolfe, and others have been hosting contests, but they are unfortunately all centered around commander.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 05:24:49 pm »

Hah, thanks for the meme. Well, the tables had to turn, eventually; you can't be this metaphysically attractive without people getting envious.

Apothecary Geist - well, it's all in the name! You can't be as eloquent as him without sampling the merchandise on occasion.

I can see the love for commander, its a shame I don't play that format.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 05:31:46 pm by Mnemosyne »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 06:41:46 pm »

• The forums are more active, and Commander has two forums dedicated to itself
  • There is a lot of solidarity between users helping each other during this pandemic. It's a really nice thing to behold. Fortunately, none of the regular posters have nodded off.
  • ApothecaryGeist is most definitely a drug dealer.
  • Red_Wyrm and Wizardspartan are jokingly engaged. It is just as cute as you think it is.
  • Flash finally got banned in commander
  • Myself, WWolfe, and others have been hosting contests, but they are unfortunately all centered around commander.
Your list is actually hilarious. I actually laughed out loud and I'm currently in a class online, soooo... F

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 09:27:41 pm »
So now that I think about it, you haven't been active on this site since December of 2018. You stickied the Intro to cEDH thread and then vanished. A lot has happened since then.

We're you looking for a recap of things on Deckstats, or things that happened with MTG?

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 01:10:10 am »
things that happened with MTG?
This is really simple, so I'll go right ahead: Oko, Thief of Crowns

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 05:29:13 pm »
So now that I think about it, you haven't been active on this site since December of 2018. You stickied the Intro to cEDH thread and then vanished. A lot has happened since then.

We're you looking for a recap of things on Deckstats, or things that happened with MTG?

Both, but you've sort of glossed over most of it. Care to give me a rundown of the new areas of the forum? I've been out of the loop, so what's this about primers? Is this a refined version of what the cEDH sticky was about?
It seems like G.Moto has lost his moderator privileges.

Regards,

Mnemosyne. :)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 06:56:29 pm »
Yourself, Aerosigma, and G. Moto were all inactive for some time, so Deckstats needed some new moderators. WWolfe and I were called upon to help. There's been a few problems but nothing too serious.

Let me see if I can construct an overall timeline of what has happened. I know you're not too interested in commander, so I'll keep it brief. If ever you want links to the threads for these topics on Deckstats, let me know.

• WotC removed the MSRP from products (Feb 2019).
  • Oathbreaker becomes a new commander-like format. It was popular for a good two months (April 2019).
  • War of the Spark releases. The power creep is immediately noticeable (May 2019).
  • Myself and WWolfe become moderators.
  • Modern Horizons releases. Immediately turns the modern format on it's head (June 2019).
  • FIRE system for designing cards is discussed. Causes massive power-creep. (June 2019)
  • London Mulligan becomes universal (July 2019).
    • Draw 7 each time, then put cards on the bottom of your library equal to the number of times you mulliganed.
  • WotC tries to promote Brawl as a format again. There is still next to no one that plays brawl (Sept 2019)
  • Throne of Eldrane released. Oko, Thief of Crowns gets banned in almost every format. Who would have guessed that this card is too powerful? (Oct 2019)
  • Pioneer is a new format. It's like modern but includes all sets from Return to Ravnica onwards. Modern's popularity drops hard, with Pioneer largely replacing it. (Oct 2019)
  • 2020 is announced to be the year of the Commander format (Oct 2019).
  • Historic becomes a format on MTG Arena (Nov 2019).
  • Someone in China eats a bat. Normally I wouldn't bring this up, but this was a special bat (Nov 2019).
  • The Flash war (Jan 2020). cEDH players really want Flash to be banned. All players, both casual and competitive, unite to get Flash banned. It was really something special to see. In April, Flash finally got banned.
  • Secret Lairs launch. New limited edition art (Jan 2020).
  • Commander grew so much that it gets two new subforums (Feb 2020).
  • Petition to change Red_Wyrm's name. This was incredibly silly. Variants like Red_Worm and Rad_Wurm were suggested. It lead to Red_Wyrm changing their name to Morganator 2.O for a bit, and ended with a rap battle. Not kidding (Feb 2020).
  • Mystery booster releases. So many good reprints. Like... hundreds (Mar 2020).
  • Pandemic is declared. Local games stores begin shutting down, leaving Magic players to play online only (Mar 2020).
  • MustaKotka begins a topic to help people vent about their stressful mid-pandemic troubles. It was really sweet to see people that barely know each other come together and lend support.
  • Deckstats gets the Primers sub forum. So far it's just Commander primers (Mar 2020).
  • Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths releases. Companions causes so many problems in so many formats that they eventually get a rule change (April 2020).
  • Contest for decks with companions. I'm stuck judging 20 submissions; a new record for Deckstats.
  • WotC puts a universal ban on 7 cards that they determine to be racist (June 2020).
  • Jumpstart releases. Supply is so low that barely anyone gets boxes (July 2020).
  • With game stores reopening I try to go over safety precautions people should be taking. Short version: wear a mask, wash your hands (Aug 2020).

And... yeah... I think those are the important bits.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 08:02:31 pm »
Yourself, Aerosigma, and G. Moto were all inactive for some time, so Deckstats needed some new moderators. WWolfe and I were called upon to help. There's been a few problems but nothing too serious.

Aerosigma hasn't been online since before I registered, haha. I have no regrets haha, I was just curious.

Thanks for the update, it is very detailed.

Is Brawl still a format with Oathbreaker? I had heard from people that used to run events that Oathbreaker was popular, at the time. Though, it seemed more of a novelty than a serious format.

The F.I.R.E system? Seems like a desperate attempt by Wotc to stop Modern from becoming stale. But then again, I don't doubt that it was a necessary device.

Actually a friend of mine was talking about the power creep. Oko, Thief of Crowns seems like pushed is an understatement.
I'm glad that Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath has been banned. Even if it is a mythic, a 6/6 for (3/4 mana) that has an ETB and an attack trigger that lets you gain 3 life and draw a card is a little ridiculous.

Pioneer? Is that not like what Frontier was?

Ah Corona Virus; that bat certainly unleashed its vengeance in its' death throes.

Why did anyone petition for Red_Wyrm to have their name changed?  :-\

Mystery Booster and Promo Boosters are a a welcome sight. I am not certain why the standard showdown boosters were withdrawn!

(I'll add more later, but I'm out of time, right now.)

Thank you again, for the update, @Morganator!

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 09:15:58 pm »
Why did anyone petition for Red_Wyrm to have their name changed?  :-\
Here's where it all begins:
You have no idea how happy I am that you spelled my name properly. Thank you, kind sir.
Basically, someone spelled their name correctly, Red commented on that, someone else made a joke comment where they intentionally spelled Red's name incorrectly, and it snowballed from there with more and more people coming up with more and more misspellings. I eventually created a poll asking what the best version of Red_Wyrm's name would be, and a while later it died out.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 08:08:54 pm »
I'm just happy to be considered in the "important bits" of events worth mentioning.

I totally won the rap battle.

Oh hold on. Back the fudge nuggets up. Jokingly engaged?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:10:37 pm by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 08:58:20 pm »
I'm just happy to be considered in the "important bits" of events worth mentioning.

I totally won the rap battle.

Oh hold on. Back the fudge nuggets up. Jokingly engaged?
I wasn't going to mention anything because everything else Morg said was accurate and hilarious. Watch Red and I somehow get virtually married despite never actually seeing each other out of spite because y'all said "jokingly".

Don't test us buckaroo.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 09:48:35 pm »
Oh god you're so hot rn.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red