deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Next tribe to get a commander  (Read 4446 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Next tribe to get a commander
« on: October 04, 2020, 03:22:31 am »
For the past year or so it seems like a lot of creature types are getting a commanders. Even some tribes that no one plays. Recently we've seen Clerics, Devils, Hydras, Knights, Minotaurs, Rogues, Satyrs, and Unicorns. What's next? Which tribes do you think are going to get a commander soon? And which ones are you hoping for?

I think that spirits are going to get a good commander at some point. Kykar, Wind's Fury and Geist of Saint Traft just don't cut it. I think that a spirit-tribal commander would be white-blue, with a possibility of having black thrown in. I'm also expecting angels to get a new commander, even though Kaalia of the Vast exists. White-Red-Green makes the most sense, but with the FIRE system for designing cards, I'm expecting 5-color angels.

Dumb Luck

Re: Next tribe to get a commander
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 10:12:21 pm »
Gimme a proper Myr Commander, you cowards.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 10:29:24 pm »
Gimme a proper Myr Commander, you cowards.

You're speaking my language. A sultai elf commander would be nice, but definitely unnecessary.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 12:18:26 am »
I like the idea of a proper Myr commander as well.

I would like to see another Dimir ninja commander personally, and a couple more legendary minotaurs.

Conceptually, minotaurs seem a bit confused as a tribe. All 3 Nehebs are different. Sethron, Hurloon General is a bit boring. Moraug, Fury of Akoum is really cool, but landfall is a bit difficult to work into a mono-red EDH deck so he doesn't quite belong at the helm of a minotaur tribal deck. Firesong and Sunspeaker have zero tribal synergies; same goes with all the Tahngarths.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 12:31:23 am »
I think a white-based Soldier tribal commander that encourages attacking through payoffs like card advantage/ramp (think new Akiri for card advantage) would be cool.

Perhaps weenies could be a theme to take advantage of cards like Mentor of the Meek & Bygone Bishop and hatebears.

I think a Soldier tribal commander that leans into the aggressive, hatebear side of white could definitely be interesting. There is plenty of precedent, and Keeper of the Accord which would fit perfectly here has already been spoiled for Commander Legends.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 09:22:56 am »
I hope there will be a archer commander. Something like al legendary Greatbow Doyen or somethingike it. And it has to bee blue and green at least.

I wanna give my opponents creauters flying and shoot them out of the air after that.

Dumb Luck

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 01:18:01 pm »
I hope there will be a archer commander. Something like al legendary Greatbow Doyen or somethingike it. And it has to bee blue and green at least.

I wanna give my opponents creauters flying and shoot them out of the air after that.

Ah, I see that you are a gentleman of culture too.

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 03:09:18 pm »
A monoblack necromancer commander....something like chainer, dementia master but that makes zombie and cost less. Something as an alternative to Sidisi for playing a lot of zomnbie....

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 03:10:57 pm »
A monoblack necromancer commander....something like chainer, dementia master but that makes zombie and cost less. Something as an alternative to Sidisi for playing a lot of zomnbie....

You want Ghoulcaller Gisa.
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 03:17:58 pm »
NO, 5 cmc is to much I wanna a Male commander that works like cemetery reaper: exiles cards from graveyards to create zombie token, that's more futuristic if you consider the new escape rule or commanders like brokkos and nethroi....

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 03:20:53 pm »
whooooooooops, I forgot to specify that my chosen tribe is necromancer, I know that in mtg is human wizard but I need another necromancer!!!! :P!!

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 07:40:15 pm »
One for which a lot of demand exists is a better Commander for Werewolf than Ulrich of the Krallenhorde.  Perhaps something like Immerwolf, boosting wolves and werewolves while stabilizing werewolves in their stronger form.  Making a Commander that triggers whenever another werewolf transforms would likely get overpowered rather quickly...

What I would like to see, personally, is an Aetherborn Tribal theme.  It is a unique race, with an interesting culture.  I could definitely see it being a mono black deck with either an artifact subtheme or a +1/+1 counters subtheme...

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 10:06:16 pm »
One for which a lot of demand exists is a better Commander for Werewolf than Ulrich of the Krallenhorde.  Perhaps something like Immerwolf, boosting wolves and werewolves while stabilizing werewolves in their stronger form.  Making a Commander that triggers whenever another werewolf transforms would likely get overpowered rather quickly...

What I would like to see, personally, is an Aetherborn Tribal theme.  It is a unique race, with an interesting culture.  I could definitely see it being a mono black deck with either an artifact subtheme or a +1/+1 counters subtheme...
I love the idea of both of those, wow. Aetherborn with an artifact subtheme would be really cool, as I haven't had any luck when trying to build artifact-based decks.

I love tribal strategies too much for my own good. Send help plz

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 01:25:51 am »
How about a werewolf commander that prevents werewolves from transforming back into their human form? The transform mechanic is a huge pain in the ass; I defy anyone to tell me otherwise. I gave up on my Arlinn Kord Oathbreaker deck because I couldn't be arsed to flip the cards. I even bought those checklist cards and had all my werewolves aside in clear Dragon Sleeves for simpler flipping and it was still tedious.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 02:12:50 am »
One for which a lot of demand exists is a better Commander for Werewolf than Ulrich of the Krallenhorde.  Perhaps something like Immerwolf, boosting wolves and werewolves while stabilizing werewolves in their stronger form.

Pretty much what I said :)