deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What do you watch?  (Read 1859 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
What do you watch?
« on: October 09, 2020, 01:55:54 pm »
I'm sure a lot of you know that I despise the way YouTube styles itself, and by extension, it's content creators. Regardless, I am curious what videos and podcasts everyone watches/listens to. Do you watch deck-tech videos, or gameplay videos? Are their any people or groups that you prefer to watch over others? And when you're building a deck, do you every look up videos of deck-building guides for that commander?

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: What do you watch?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 03:00:50 pm »
I actually don't watch that much MTG content anymore (League addiction, anyone?). Game Knights is pretty much the only MTG thing I watch consistently. On occasion I might watch Laboratory Maniacs or MTG Muddstah EDH games to see how more competitive versions of the decks I own play out. Sometimes, I watch Alpha Investments videos for shits and giggles (Tacos, anyone?).

When I was playing Arena & Standard, I would watch Merchant & Noxious. They were pretty cool, good content and well-displayed.

I pretty much never look up deck-building guides for commanders simply because (most of the time) they don't really go outside the box and I can gain that same information from a 5 min. foray onto EDHrec.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 04:33:38 pm »
Game Knights is pretty much all I watch anymore. When I was recovering from my ankle surgeries, I watched A LOT of MTG content. The Professor on Tolarian Community College & The Command Zone almost religiously. But the longer they've went on the more I don't find them informational or really even entertaining. Even watched Cmdr Vs quite a bit. I use to enjoy their casual banter while they played but to me it got to a point where the banter was more than the gameplay and lost interest.
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 04:50:51 pm »
I tend to stick on MTG content in the background while I work.

I'm not remotely interested in deck techs or anything like that, but I quite enjoy some gameplay content.

I'm a fan of LRR and Commander VS, interestingly for the exact reasons WWolfe described as why they were put off. I really like that each respective group is made up of a bunch of friends that have their own banter and in jokes and that kind of thing. It's why I like playing MTG with my friends so I enjoy seeing it reflected in content. I much prefer that style to the top down, 4 play mats with commentary over the top.

I'll watch some Game Knights if the commanders or the guests are interesting to me, but I find it all a little too polished and over produced. I like my content a little rougher around the edges. Same goes for things like MTGMuddstah and Playing with Power. Without the friendly banter, my interest is entirely dependant on what commanders are being played.

I've been binging LRRs Canadian Highlander content a lot recently. The format is wild and super interesting, but no one wants to play it were I live so I have to get my fix that way.

I'll watch some TCC if he's reviewing something I'm interested purchasing as I find his reviews are generally pretty fair and reliable. I also enjoy the podcast he does with PleasantKenobi, but mostly that's because I'm British so I find PleasantKenobi and his vulgarity refreshing among the predominantly American content creators.

Damn, when I write it all down, it turns out I consume a lot more than I thought. Should probably get on with some work and spend more time with the kids.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 06:12:59 pm »
I used to watch the Command Zone, but they started shilling a little too hard for me. I understand sponsorship can be a good thing, but when they start defending obviously bad products, I lose interest. And like CleanBelwas said, Game Knights is a bit too polished and over-acted.

I do occasionally watch Alpha Investments. Rudy has some good advice between all the Taco Bell fanaticism and lamenting of card stock.

I don't know; MtG content just doesn't do it for me anymore. I want to play, not watch other people play. And definitely not pro games, given how narrow the standard meta has been for a while.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 07:40:40 pm »
I have three MTG youtube channels I check regularly, with one of the three that I watch practically everything that gets posted.

As many have said Command Zone is a solid one for gameplay. I check out their other content here and there, but mainly watch for Game Knights and Extra Turns.

I have started watching more of the professor at his channel Tolarian Community College; his content seems to hit a lot of different areas.

However, my favorite channel is Commander's Quarters with Mitch. I really like his approach, and I value his opinions. His focus is budget everything (which I love), but he has started to expand his content from solely deck-techs. He has one gameplay video in a new series called Close Quarters, and I am excited to see him do more of these. A couple of the decks I enjoy playing started from his deck-techs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:43:29 pm by Mynus »

Dumb Luck

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 10:11:31 pm »
The amount of advertising on Command Zone really put me off them, so now I pretty much just check out Game Knights. It's the only longer form videos I tend to watch, as others often feel like they drag.

MTG Muddstah I like in terms of the overall package (variety of commanders, length of video etc) and Playing with Power is alright for the ridiculous stack chains. That's about all the content I consume for EDH on a regular basis, as the vast majority I tend to find a little dull or irritating.

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 11:50:08 pm »
I used to watch The Command Zone all the time, but the lengthy advertising at the beginning of each video and the shameless shilling has turned me away. I also hate how card prices skyrocket just because they get a mention in a video (e.g. Reap). I went through a phase were I panic-bought tons of cards the moment they were mentioned in a video.

Mitch's emotional video about The Walking Dead secret lair and the flash-in-a-pan Captain idea has me wanting to just stay away from Magic Youtubers altogether. Although I think the way they are handling this secret lair is about as scummy as it gets, I came to the realization that I play exclusively with the same group of friends that I have played with since Revised. We police our own meta and ban tons of cards for the health of our meta; no one in my playgroup will buy The Walking Dead cards so ultimately, I don't care anymore.

I am tired of the WotC sycophants and the dramaqueens. Magic is about my best friendships, which existed long before Magic evolved into the corporate monstrosity it is today.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 11:52:59 pm »
I watch a fair amount of MTG content, almost all of which is EDH based.

Most of Tolarian Community College's MTG content and product reviews with the Booster Box Game being my fave.  Command Zone and Game Knights though I skip the breakdown episodes of their gameplay.  I also agree their sponsorships are starting to get in the way of the content and it all feels overproduced and scripted.  I watch some of Commander's Quarters stuff, the topic will dictate if I hit play or not.  I don't miss any of MTG Mudstah's stuff, Mondays and Thursdays are highlights of the week.  Cure for the Common Game as I have a certain amount of respect for anyone crazy enough to try to build [and keep] a deck for every legal commander.  Occasionally catch Playing with Power or Casually Competitive depending on mood.  I watch about half of Tomohappy's videos which is Tomoharu Saito's Magic channel [or one of them anyway].  I enjoy the box/pack openings and playing of old tournament decks the most, though his content matters less to me than its all in Japanese and I'm trying to learn the language.  For the same reason I've also started watching a channel called 開封大好き [Kaifuu Daisuki or 'really like opening/breaking the seal'].  Not sure why I enjoy box openings so much...

I watch probably about half of the content of Jumbo Commander depending on subject.  I watch some of PleasantKenobi's MTG content as coming from a British family and having lived in London for almost a year, I find him pretty funny.  I keep up with Heroes and Legends MTG for market/investment info more out of curiosity and to know if I need to grab something before speculators snag all copies of something I may want to play and don't have.  I also watch Tavis King's channel, he focuses on MTG history, miscuts/misprints and forgery and he just knows so much about how the cards are produced and collated but I'll admit he can be a bit dry for most viewers.

I do view some decktechs but generally only if I have one or more slots left in a deck I'm trying to build and am looking for something outside the box to give the deck a different angle of attack or extra resilience, etc. and could use a suggestion outside of the typical stable of cards I gravitate towards.   Some of what I listed above is focused on gameplay so obviously I watch a lot of that as well.

Mostly importantly, this post has taught that I don't have a life and should do something about that...

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 06:31:35 pm »
I mostly listen to the CMDR Central podcast and the EDHReCast.

Cmdr does decktechs and theme podcasts, like one on removal, carddraw in red. Thery are 3 friends who started the podcast because they were always discussing things commander before going to Commandernight in the local gameshop. I like the chemistry between the three people, they once even did a april's fool episode and talked about anything but commander and it was fun enough too listen entirely.

EDHReCast is the podcast from EDHRec, the commander site for deckbuilding you all probably know They also discuss themes in a great variety and always relate them to the most played cards on the site.

I watch only the gameplay videos of Game knights, there other shows I don't like as much anymore and as mentioned before there commercials are annoiing.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 11:47:27 pm »
I like to watch Spice8Rack, Jake and Joel are Magic, TOTALmtg, and MTG Arena Original Decks.

They're all great, but the first two are better than the last. JAJAM is probably the most generalized channel since they do unboxing videos, finance videos, arena gameplay videos, product review videos, etc etc. They do a great job and release new videos every week.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 02:57:26 pm »
It just depends on what I feel like watching. With so many options now I just pick what I feel at the moment. Everything from Game Knights, the professor, playing with power, mtg muddstah, edhrec cast, nitpicking nerds, whats his face who does the what cards are going up and down in value, booster tuder, and so forth.. I just like lots of flavor and just again depends on what flavor I want at that particular moment
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Dumb Luck

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 05:27:19 pm »
Started watching SplitSecond for EDH gameplay and they're pretty good.

terminalgeek

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 07:09:18 pm »
I mostly watch EDH gameplay videos. I don't play cEDH but there does seem to be more channels. So, I watch that and thankfully they switch it up sometimes but while there's sometimes variety in the commanders, not so much in the rest of the 99.

MTG Muddstah
Casually Competitive MTG
The Spike Feeders
Star City Games VS (depending on the decks they're playing)
Game Knights (again, depends on what they are playing)
Play to Win
Commander's Quarters - had good humor and the gameplay episode was promising, it's a shame the path he's taken now

I use to watch more of The Tolarian Community College, Command Zone, and a few others when starting out but now I rely on my own assessments. They were useful for starting out though and can still be entertaining if there's no other new content.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 08:25:59 pm »
Commander's Quarters - had good humor and the gameplay episode was promising, it's a shame the path he's taken now
I know that Mitch created the Captain format as somewhat of a joke, got a good response from the community, created a Discord channel and subreddit for Captain, was forced to close both of them because of the toxicity that was going around in discussions in those places, and apologized to the community. Is that what you meant by "the path he's taken now"? I understand that the whole situation came from an unhealthy place (both in his and the community's case), but isn't it over?