deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What was everyone's first rare and mythic?  (Read 1595 times)

fishingbrick

• I like sea monsters.
  • Decks
What was everyone's first rare and mythic?
« on: October 10, 2020, 07:55:10 pm »
I'm quite curious on what people's first rares were. I remember right when I got into the game that my dad got me a booster box of original Ravnica for my birthday and it was oodles of fun. Anyway, my first rare that I opened was a Dimir Cutpurse. It may not seem like anything special but it was one of my favorite cards at the time and made me align with Dimir for my guild (Even after seeing other guilds). My first mythic was in Shards, and it was Godsire. But I'm curious to what your guys' first rares and mythics were.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: What was everyone's first rare and mythic?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 09:53:08 pm »
Hey man, sweet question.

I can't actually remember my first. I first played magic around Onslaught. I went into my LGS to play some Pokemon TCG aged 12ish and saw some guys playing MTG. It was all dark and macabre with all the onslaught zombies and my angsty little pubescent self who was looking for something darker loved it and I spent my pocket money on a couple of packs. Then mirrodin happened and all the folks at the LGS said it had broken everything and in my naivety I just believed what the bigger boys said and assumed the game was dead and not worth carrying on with. If only I knew then how much some magic players like to moan about MTG being dead. To this day I have no idea what I did with the cards from those first few packs.

Got back into it as an adult around Amonkhet block. Loved ancient Egypt as a kid and my buddy had just started playing it so I bought an Amonkhet bundle. First rare was Glorybringer. Still love it to this day. Absolutely superb finisher in the aggro deck I ran back then. Still jam it in every deck I have with red now, even though I mostly play EDH and it's not as good there. Just love that dragon.

First mythic was from the same bundle. Cruel Reality. Tried to make it work so many times. Really not that great to be honest. Also got a Kefnet the Mindful in the same bundle, although technically I opened that second. Kefnet was "my card" in my playgroup for a long time. I love him. Such a beater.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:55:57 pm by CleanBelwas »

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 10:20:50 pm »
First rare....um...that's a long time ago but I think it was a 4ed Thoughtlace...from a starter deck.

First mythics...was just coming back to the game after a very long hiatus [Mirrodin was the last set I had bought more than a couple of packs] but Innistrad caught my attention and drew me back in.  Cracked double Olivia Voldaren in the same pack.  The foil version still helms a crappy EDH deck.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 04:46:16 am »
This is a great topic! Nice thread.

I'm a really knew player considering everybody else in this thread. First cards I bought were 10 Ravnica Allegiance booster packs in a bundle. I think the first rare was Deputy of Detention, but back then, I didn't even know that card rarity was a thing. My first mythic was a Skarrgan Hellkite, one of the worst mythics I have ever seen. But hey, it works great in my Nikya of the Old Ways commander deck! A great sink for all that juicy doubled-up mana.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 06:16:53 am »

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 06:56:04 am »
[[Quest for Ula's temple]] [[Darksteel Colossus]] from the same fat pack

It's funny you say that, because I think my first mythic was a Blightsteel Colossus. I started playing before Mirrodin Besieged, but I think Worldwake was the first time I opened any packs.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Ian1758

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 10:34:21 am »
Verdilion cliche, I bought it from a game shop after m10, during the zendikar block, before its price went crazy, before modern
Ian1758

Online Deckbuilds 9192

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 10:37:33 am »
My first mythic was Vaevictis Asmaadi, the Dire. I first looked at it and thought 'this is impossible to play' but I recently came back to it and remembered that it was my first, so I built a commander deck around him. My firends hate the Vaevictis deck now they find it so annoying to play against  ;)

My first rare was Dusk//Dawn from Amonkhet. Thefirst product I opened was a Gideon Planeswalker deck which came with a pack of Amonkhet... the deck was trash though  :-X

ekans_

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 10:42:53 am »
I can only remember my first Mythic Rare. It was [[Omnath, Locus of Rage]]

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 10:56:59 am »
I remember buying Vigor as a single but at the time I bought some Shadowmoor boosters, too, so I'm suspecting it's not my first rare. Vigor was a part of my 60-card casual deck that imitated the effect on Phytohydra that I saw my friend play. Seemed like an impossible effect to overcome. Love the card.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

monkydonky1

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 01:43:14 pm »
Take a breath and think back. Good old times - good old memories! I remember buying a single Booster and opening Patron of the Orochi as my first, amazing card. I remember how jealous everybody else was, when I casted it for the first time in our sunday-afternoon-table-game ;-)
My first very very powerful card was Umezawa's Jitte. My first Planeswalker, which later in the game became reprinted as a mythic-rare-card was Lilia Vess. Holy ... such an awesome moment, realizing how crazy good Planeswalkers really are.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 01:49:25 pm »
It's been forever for me and I really don't remember, but I've enjoyed reading this thread.
This space for rent.

BIGGUN

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 03:08:42 pm »
my first rate was Leshrach's Minion, not so
 terrible card in the ICEAGE Times... 😭

TiglathP3

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 07:46:46 pm »
Started playing the Summer after Commander 18.  Purchased Saheli deck.  That was just to play with the group
  Wasn't really into packs.  First legendary purchased was Kokusho....which became commander of my first home spun commander   deck.

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 01:40:27 pm »
What?

It's been forever for me and I really don't remember, but I've enjoyed reading this thread.
That's true!

... probably a shivan dragon, drain power, timber wolves or something - nothing exciting.

Edit says: There were no mythics that time ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:43:06 pm by BoBWiz »