deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Commander Legends Spoilers  (Read 10247 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Commander Legends Spoilers
« on: October 24, 2020, 04:35:03 pm »

Wyleth, Soul of Steel
1RW
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
Trample

Whenever Wyleth, Soul of Steel attacks, draw a card for each aura and equipment attached to him.
"A warrior needs two things: a good sword an iron will."
Illus. Tyler Jacobson   2/2

Providential Guard Rune
2W
Enchantment - aura
You may cast this spell as though it had flash if it targets a commander.

Enchant creature

Enchanted creature has indestructible.
"Behind each general leading his men to the front is a nervous mage with a spell already ready."
Illus. Matt Stewart

Glowing Solsteel
1R
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 for each opponent you have.

Whenever equipped creature is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to any target.

Equip 4
"Wyleth emerged from the crater unscathed, the fury of the sun trapped in his hands."
Illus. Tyler Jacobson

"Aesi, Tyrant of the Epicycle Strait"
4GU
Legendary Creature - Serpent
You may play an additional land during each of your turns.

Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may draw a card.
Illus. Viktor Titoy   5/5

Behemoth of the Abyss
5UU
Creature - Kraken
Return a land you control to its owner's hand: Untap Behemoth of the Abyss. It gains hexproof until end of turn.

Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, target creature an opponent controls attacks during its controller's next combat phase if able.
7/7

"Self-Mutilating Hydra"
XGGG
Creature - Hyrda
When "Self-Mutilating Hydra" enters the battlefield, distribute X +1/+1 counters between it and any number of Commanders.

Nezahal, Primal Tide
5UU
Legendary Creature - Elder Dinosaur
This spell can't be countered.

You have no maximum hand size.

Whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell, draw a card.

Discard three cards: Exile Nezahal, Primal Tide. Return it to the battlefield tapped under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
Illus. Sam Burley   7/7

Cultivate
2G
Sorcery
Search your library for up to two basic land cards, reveal those cards, and put one onto the battlefield tapped and the other into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Illus. Anthony Palumbo

Blackblade Reforged
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each land you control.

Equip legendary creature 3

Equip 7
It spilled the blood of one elder dragon. In Gideon's hands, it may yet taste another's.
Illus. Chris Rahn

Unbreakable Formation
2W
Instant
Creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn.

Addendum - If you cast this spell during your main phase, put a +1/+1 counter on each of those creatures and they gain vigilance until end of turn.
Illus. Matt Stewart
This space for rent.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: Commander Legends Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 04:40:03 pm »
Poor Tatyova, Benthic Druid just got powercreeped into the ground.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 04:49:13 pm »

I doubt it. Being 5/5 is better than 3/3, but is it SO much better that it warrants 6 cmc over 5 cmc? I'm willing to bet Tatyova is still the more competitive choice.

Then again, extra land per turn is nice. I'm not sure. I still think that 6 cmc for a commander is going to outweigh the additional land and bigger body, given the number of fantastic extra land per turn cards.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 05:09:24 pm »

I doubt it. Being 5/5 is better than 3/3, but is it SO much better that it warrants 6 cmc over 5 cmc? I'm willing to bet Tatyova is still the more competitive choice.

Then again, extra land per turn is nice. I'm not sure. I still think that 6 cmc for a commander is going to outweigh the additional land and bigger body, given the number of fantastic extra land per turn cards.

I agree with you. Besides that, Tatyova also provides 1 extra life per land drop. A single lifepoint usually doesn't matter, but a brunch of extra health could come handy.

All in all, I think it will depend more on personal preferences which of those two will be played, in stead of strenght.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 06:53:25 pm »
I mean, Exploration + Tatyova is 6 mana, and in land ramp decks I would not care about the extra 1 CMC most of the time. Obviously, both will still be played a lot, I just think that increasing the cmc from 5 -> 6 in exchange for an Exploration effect is fantastic. With Tatyova, you either cast her on curve and risk her getting removed before you get any value or you have to wait a turn until you can play her and play a land to immediately draw a card. In the new card's case, yes, playing it on curve is like playing Tatyova a turn later, but you immediately can play a land to generate some value, and you get extra land drops until Aesi gets removed.

Extra land drops and an effect that draws you cards when you play lands is extremely powerful and more than worth it in my eyes.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 06:53:56 pm »

I agree with you. Besides that, Tatyova also provides 1 extra life per land drop. A single lifepoint usually doesn't matter, but a brunch of extra health could come handy.

All in all, I think it will depend more on personal preferences which of those two will be played, in stead of strenght.

Also important, Tatyova, benthic druid is an uncommon from a standard legal set. That can be important as well. A rare from a special set with higher prices for boosters will have impact of the final price for the single card as well.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 06:59:15 pm »
Tatyova is actually almost $2 even after the Mystery Booster reprint. I don't think we should worry about comparing the two, as both are so powerful any deck that can have one will want the other.

Also, good point paulusdeboself, it's likely the new card will become more expensive in the long term. It will probably take a long time for that to happen, though, as looking at the ZNR commander decks show that they will have plenty of supply (not to mention the decks are super cheap), so most people who want Aesi will just be able to buy the deck.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 07:12:35 pm »
Tatyova is actually almost $2 even after the Mystery Booster reprint. I don't think we should worry about comparing the two, as both are so powerful any deck that can have one will want the other.

Also, good point paulusdeboself, it's likely the new card will become more expensive in the long term. It will probably take a long time for that to happen, though, as looking at the ZNR commander decks show that they will have plenty of supply (not to mention the decks are super cheap), so most people who want Aesi will just be able to buy the deck.

I did not know these cards are from the precon decks and not from the boosters. And I'm glad I have a Tatypva, it has become an expensive uncommon.

But the designs are a lot of do something and draw one or more cards for doing it.... I don' t think it's fun and healthy for the format in the long run. .

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 07:49:33 pm »
Yeah, the Boros commander feels very uninspired. Strong, but sort of boring.

The 2 legendary creatures are the commanders of the precons (so there will be a RW one and a UG one) and each gets 2 new cards not found in the main set, which are the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th cards in WWolfe's post.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 04:26:15 pm »
HOLD THE PHONE:

Did not expect this on a Monday morning. Wow.

Sphinx of the Second Sun also seems wild. Could be some special spice for Kumena instead of Stormtide Leviathan.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 04:32:15 pm »
HOLD THE PHONE:

Did not expect this on a Monday morning. Wow.

Sphinx of the Second Sun also seems wild. Could be some special spice for Kumena instead of Stormtide Leviathan.

Sphinx of the Second Sun is wild. Not only is it from Amonkhet (best plane), it gives you two beginning phases. Two. Two untaps. Two upkeeps. Two Draws. It's Paradox Haze on drugs. Just imagine how much fun that is with a mana sink.

Seems wild in Scarab God. Untap. "Eternalize" as much as you can, first upkeep, drain for a bunch and scry a bunch. Then untap again. Maybe "eternalize" more or leave your mana for other stuff. But get a second upkeep all the same for more drain and more scry. Absolute gas.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 04:52:52 pm »
It's just the jank that we Commander players live and die for.

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 08:48:04 pm »
WOW..
Vampiric Tutor reprint???
Phyrexian Triniform seems scary.
Liesa, Shroud of Dusk will be interesting to build around.
SPOILER SEASON IS HERE!

Phyrexian Triniform (9)
Artifact Creature - Golem
When Phyrexian Triniform dies, create three 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature tokens.
Encore 12 (pay 12, exile this card from your graveyard. For each oponent, create a token that is a copy of this creature. These tokens gain haste, and attack this turn if able. Sacrifice these tokens at the start of the next end step.)

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 09:54:40 pm »
I like that we got Krark. Fits nicely into a coin flip and/or chaos theme'd deck.

I mean, obviously not the strongest thing shown today.... just neat.
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 11:00:04 pm »
I absolutely LOVE Krark. The fact that he is thumbless is just incredible design. Such an amazing opportunity for a sweet vorthos deck with Krark and his thumbs.