deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Jumpstart draft collection - viable way of storing  (Read 4048 times)

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
Jumpstart draft collection - viable way of storing
« on: October 26, 2020, 07:14:45 am »
Good morning y'all,

since jumpstart is finally available in germany I thought of collecting a small amount (right now I think of around 15 - 20) of those boosters and store them for the future to multi-use them. Therefore I am searching for good ways of keeping 20-card-piles (sleeved or non-sleeved) separately. I'm thinking of something like little plastic cases. It should at least be a little more esthetic then using the opened booster-bags.

Any ideas of what to use here? Or if you've had the same idea I had and already have your collection, it would be nice if you would explain how you did it.
Oh and, it would be cool if you're ideas won't be that expensive, I don't want to pay an additional 5+ € for each booster.  ::)

Brainstooooorm... GO!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 08:22:33 am by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Jumpstart draft collection - viable way of storing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 01:24:21 pm »
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're looking for. A way to keep the decks together but separate from the other decks?

If so, a simple box (https://www.bcwsupplies.com/500-card-storage-box), with dividers (https://www.bcwsupplies.com/trading-card-dividers) would work wouldn't it?
This space for rent.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 01:33:58 pm »
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're looking for. A way to keep the decks together but separate from the other decks?

If so, a simple box (https://www.bcwsupplies.com/500-card-storage-box), with dividers (https://www.bcwsupplies.com/trading-card-dividers) would work wouldn't it?

I was afraid my explanation was not as precised as I thought it would be.
My ideal solution would be having a small deckbox for each deck, so that there is an easy way to draft them facedown without damaging the cards or the danger of seeing a card before.

What I found around 20 minutes before is this: (a normal plastic case for poker cards)
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRU68A8QVMj16RQNXG_4ANlKmladch8iYvwMQ&usqp=CAU

---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 01:58:01 pm »
Hey man,

Depending on if you are sleeving the decks and stuff, there are a few options that come to mind.

There's a company called Cardamajigs (https://cardamajigs.com/) who make the kind of thing you are after. They're designed to emulate the idea of cracking packs for a cube (the product is called a cubeamajig) but they will likely be sufficient for what you want to. They have loads of options and work with some MTG artists so there are options with nice art on if that's your thing, or just plain ones if you like that.

They hold about 15 double sleeved or 40 single sleeved cards each. They're cheap individually (equivalent of about $2) or you can buy them in bulk and save on costs.

Not sure what shipping is like. I think they are US based so if you're not in the US it might not be worth it.

Also, if you are planning on sleeving them but need something a little bigger, there's the classic Ultra Pro deck box (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Pro-Trading-Storage-Gathering/dp/B00RKFB6WY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mtg+deck+box&qid=1603716785&sr=8-5). Cheap, effective, versatile, reasonably durable. Loads of colour options if you want to colour code. Little areas on each box to write the name of the deck if you want that kind of thing, but don't have to if you want to keep them anonymous.

I've used those little poker things you've linked and they're pretty decent. Unfortunately I can't quite remember how many cards they hold (sleeved or unsleeved) and don't have any to hand to check, but they offered reasonable protection and storage so might be perfect for what you are after.

Hope this helps. Let us know what solution you come up with. I've been debating doing a similar thing myself so would be good to hear what you end up doing and how it works out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:01:09 pm by CleanBelwas »

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 02:12:00 pm »
Hey man,

Depending on if you are sleeving the decks and stuff, there are a few options that come to mind.

There's a company called Cardamajigs (https://cardamajigs.com/) who make the kind of thing you are after. They're designed to emulate the idea of cracking packs for a cube (the product is called a cubeamajig) but they will likely be sufficient for what you want to. They have loads of options and work with some MTG artists so there are options with nice art on if that's your thing, or just plain ones if you like that.

They hold about 15 double sleeved or 40 single sleeved cards each. They're cheap individually (equivalent of about $2) or you can buy them in bulk and save on costs.

Not sure what shipping is like. I think they are US based so if you're not in the US it might not be worth it.

Also, if you are planning on sleeving them but need something a little bigger, there's the classic Ultra Pro deck box (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Pro-Trading-Storage-Gathering/dp/B00RKFB6WY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mtg+deck+box&qid=1603716785&sr=8-5). Cheap, effective, versatile, reasonably durable. Loads of colour options if you want to colour code. Little areas on each box to write the name of the deck if you want that kind of thing, but don't have to if you want to keep them anonymous.

I've used those little poker things you've linked and they're pretty decent. Unfortunately I can't quite remember how many cards they hold (sleeved or unsleeved) and don't have any to hand to check, but they offered reasonable protection and storage so might be perfect for what you are after.

Hope this helps. Let us know what solution you come up with. I've been debating doing a similar thing myself so would be good to hear what you end up doing and how it works out.

I'm not sure whether I want to have the decks pre-sleeved or not since it has to be the same sleeves for each and every deck. Storing them unsleeved would need only x-times 40 sleeves for actual gameplay, but also will require some additional time before every game. And afterwards to unsleeve the cards again.

Cool, I did not know that such a side existed. Never heard of them. What they offer looks really cool but also not to expensive. Sadly I'm from germany and can't find any information about shipping at all. Maybe I'll email them and ask.  ;D

If you saw my previous post, thats a solution I find pretty nice. Those cases are transparent so I/you could paste the cover card of the deck inside the cap so that it's visible on the front.
What I need to check is whether those cases can store 20 sleeved cards without a problem.

If you are interested in this I can post some pictures when I tested.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:13:58 pm by Akira Foxmind »
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 09:15:33 am »
After having researched a little, I think it might be problematic to have those pokercard-cases filled with sleeved cards. The ones I found are 9,7x6,6 mm which would exactly be the scale of my sleeved example card (having used some cheap ultra pro sleeve with low quality).

An alternative would be using perfect-fit sleeves (to be precised, to small ones you use for double-sleeving). Assuming they would be top load, is anybody experienced in playing magic only with those sleeves? Does shuffling work well?

I would've tested it myself, but sadly I do not have enough sleeves to have a big enough pile for sufficient shuffling. :-\
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 09:58:53 am »
After having researched a little, I think it might be problematic to have those pokercard-cases filled with sleeved cards. The ones I found are 9,7x6,6 mm which would exactly be the scale of my sleeved example card (having used some cheap ultra pro sleeve with low quality).

An alternative would be using perfect-fit sleeves (to be precised, to small ones you use for double-sleeving). Assuming they would be top load, is anybody experienced in playing magic only with those sleeves? Does shuffling work well?

I would've tested it myself, but sadly I do not have enough sleeves to have a big enough pile for sufficient shuffling. :-\

I actually played a deck last night using only perfect fits and it worked fine. It was my first time doing so so I can't vouch for their longevity compared to regular sleeves, but in terms of gameplay and shuffling, I found them to be just as good as regular sleeves. I've seen people do it a fair amount and I've never heard of any complaints that they break any sooner or with any more likelihood than normal sleeves.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 10:25:42 am »

I actually played a deck last night using only perfect fits and it worked fine. It was my first time doing so so I can't vouch for their longevity compared to regular sleeves, but in terms of gameplay and shuffling, I found them to be just as good as regular sleeves. I've seen people do it a fair amount and I've never heard of any complaints that they break any sooner or with any more likelihood than normal sleeves.

That sounds fine to me. Longevity is not needed for sleeves that are around 1 cent each. ;)
I had some people say that a whole deck with those sleeves would be very slippery and that they had to re-collect their decks multiple times in a game because the cards slided everywhere.
Did something like that not happen to you?
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

tobi7618

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 10:27:41 am »
I can recommend www.burgertokens.com or you can purchase Dragon Shield Cube Shell which also fit perfect...

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 10:34:06 am »

That sounds fine to me. Longevity is not needed for sleeves that are around 1 cent each. ;)
I had some people say that a whole deck with those sleeves would be very slippery and that they had to re-collect their decks multiple times in a game because the cards slided everywhere.
Did something like that not happen to you?

Not really. For me personally, last night I didn't notice inner sleeves feeling any more or less slippery than any other sleeves I've used. Might well be the brand I bought (unfortunately I can't remember what brand they are) but for me it wasn't a problem.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 10:48:21 am »
I can recommend www.burgertokens.com or you can purchase Dragon Shield Cube Shell which also fit perfect...

Wow, those look pretty nice.  :D
Do you happen to know about the shipping to europe/germany? In the faq it is not especially mentioned.

Not really. For me personally, last night I didn't notice inner sleeves feeling any more or less slippery than any other sleeves I've used. Might well be the brand I bought (unfortunately I can't remember what brand they are) but for me it wasn't a problem.

Oh yes, I forgot that there could be differences depending on the brand. Stupid me.  ::)
But it's good to read that you had no problems with it so far.

Oh and have a look at the link tobi7618's posted. If you happen to live in the US it would be the perfect solution for your jumpstart collection.
https://burgertokens.com/products/perfect-fit-deckboxes those for 22 sleeved cards are just to perfect for it.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:51:25 am by Akira Foxmind »
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 11:26:23 am »
For those of you living in the UK I found a shop that offers decent boxes as well.

https://www.westonboxes.com/products/playing-card-box

---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 11:34:54 am »
For those of you living in the UK I found a shop that offers decent boxes as well.

Thanks a lot dude, these look perfect.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 11:42:29 am »

Thanks a lot dude, these look perfect.

I'm glad I was able to help you.  ;D
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 01:31:14 pm »

Wow, those look pretty nice.  :D
Do you happen to know about the shipping to europe/germany? In the faq it is not especially mentioned.

The very top of the website (for me anyway) says "Free Shipping for All USA Orders and for International Orders $50+".
This space for rent.