deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: OK, I've had an idea for Prismatic Piper  (Read 3778 times)

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: OK, I've had an idea for Prismatic Piper
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 09:17:00 pm »
Off-topic question:

Are you allowed to play the same partner-commander a second time??  ???

Yea I think so. I can't find the source, but I saw someone ask Gavin Verhey that question on twitter and I'm 95% certain he said yes.

For drafting, the singleton rule does not apply.  If you draft 3 Command Towers, you can put them all in your deck.  Also, for purposes of choosing your Commander, Prismatic Piper is considered to be a "basic commander".  Even if you don't draft one, you can declare Prismatic Piper as a commander.  You can even declare 2 Prismatic Pipers as a pair of partners.  All of this is per Gavin Verhey in one of his "Good Morning Magic" videos.  I don't think WotC has yet posted the official rules for Commander Legends yet.

For constructed EDH, the singleton rule would still apply.  So you would only be permitted a maximum of one Prismatic Piper.

But this sounds like something not quite constructed yet not quite limited.  Something in between.  This strange (yet intriguing) concoction sounds exactly like a Rule Zero type thing.  If your playgroup likes it - go for it.

But don't expect to sit down at a table of random players and think they're all going to be cool with it.
Happy Brewing!
:)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 12:27:19 pm »
Off-topic question:

Are you allowed to play the same partner-commander a second time??  ???

Yea I think so. I can't find the source, but I saw someone ask Gavin Verhey that question on twitter and I'm 95% certain he said yes.

For drafting, the singleton rule does not apply.  If you draft 3 Command Towers, you can put them all in your deck.  Also, for purposes of choosing your Commander, Prismatic Piper is considered to be a "basic commander".  Even if you don't draft one, you can declare Prismatic Piper as a commander.  You can even declare 2 Prismatic Pipers as a pair of partners.  All of this is per Gavin Verhey in one of his "Good Morning Magic" videos.  I don't think WotC has yet posted the official rules for Commander Legends yet.

For constructed EDH, the singleton rule would still apply.  So you would only be permitted a maximum of one Prismatic Piper.

But this sounds like something not quite constructed yet not quite limited.  Something in between.  This strange (yet intriguing) concoction sounds exactly like a Rule Zero type thing.  If your playgroup likes it - go for it.

But don't expect to sit down at a table of random players and think they're all going to be cool with it.

Ah yea, this sounds right. I think the thing I saw was based on draft, which is why I thought having two was fine. My brain just forgot to make that connection. Now that I'll be using commanders for each colour instead it's less important, but thank you for checking and confirming.

Here is what I have so far:

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/1798361-jumpstart-edh-deck

The idea is to flood the board with creatures and use each colours respective strengths to take advantage.

White plays anthems to pump creatures.
Blue blinks them to protect and re-use ETBs.
Black sacrifices and reanimates for value.
Red deals damage with impact tremors effects.
Green uses overrun type effects to stomp.

Some of these synergise well with each other (Green and White for example) and some of them do not (Black and White for example). That's part of the fun for me though.

The strategy may well change if some specific partner commanders turn up that encourage something specific, which is why the colours aren't "full" yet (will need about 44 cards for each colour), but this is what I'm working with so far. I really like creatures that "come with their own board". If I've missed any obvious ones or hidden gems or other cards that play in to each colours strategy I'd love to hear your suggestions. It's obviously shitty jank so I'm not looking to drop a lot of money on a hoof or anything like that so relatively budget suggestions would be appreciated.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 03:18:37 pm »
Okay, I realize I'm talking to the mono black aristocrats evangelist here, but have you considered other strategies for black? I'm not sure aristocrats is modular enough for this kind of mix and match idea.

Maybe black could be the removal color to support your creatures or the reanimation color to bring back valuable bodies. Having four colors built around aggro and one built around aristocrats just seems set up to be irritating the 40%(if I remember stats) of the time you'll be playing that color.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 03:34:36 pm »
Okay, I realize I'm talking to the mono black aristocrats evangelist here, but have you considered other strategies for black?

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 03:43:21 pm »
Okay, I realize I'm talking to the mono black aristocrats evangelist here, but have you considered other strategies for black? I'm not sure aristocrats is modular enough for this kind of mix and match idea.

Maybe black could be the removal color to support your creatures or the reanimation color to bring back valuable bodies. Having four colors built around aggro and one built around aristocrats just seems set up to be irritating the 40%(if I remember stats) of the time you'll be playing that color.

Honestly dude, yea I have. I think Reanimation is a good fit as there will be a lot of creatures in all colours that have valuable ETBs that can be reused, and cards like Village Rites or Skullclamp can trade some of the small chaff for cards which is fine, but (as much as it pains me to admit it) having aristocrats synergies is definitely not where I should be. I think black will likely just be control/removal elements, reanimation and good ETBs like Gonti and Ravenous Chupacabra. All the rest of the colours want the creatures to stick around so killing them isn't good for business in this instance.

Thanks for the feedback and confirming for me what I was too reluctant to admit. I guess I'll just have to stick to my three other Aristocrats decks to get my fix instead...

EDIT:

I love how WizardSpartan always has the perfect meme.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 03:45:50 pm by CleanBelwas »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 04:28:58 pm »
<3

We can get through this together.

I think, though, you can still have Aristocratic elements. Even outside of an Aristocrats deck, Blood Artist & Falkenrath Noble are still good, as creatures die in EDH just as a way of life. Especially if you lean into removal elements and board wipes, they can get a lot of value there. You are just more focused on killing everybody's creatures instead of your own.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2020, 04:35:38 pm »
<3

We can get through this together.

I think, though, you can still have Aristocratic elements. Even outside of an Aristocrats deck, Blood Artist & Falkenrath Noble are still good, as creatures die in EDH just as a way of life. Especially if you lean into removal elements and board wipes, they can get a lot of value there. You are just more focused on killing everybody's creatures instead of your own.

Yea this is definitely an option. Aristocrat payoff cards tend to have a "damned if you do, damned it you don't" effect on the game. I played a game the other week where it came down to me swinging in with a bunch of chaff with a Falkenrath Aristocrat on board and they were dead if they blocked and dead if they didn't, so it definitely could still work, especially if I'm getting punchy with my attacks, and I really like to get punchy with my attacks.

Starting to get some good commander options for each pile with todays spoilers too. This dumb idea might just work.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2020, 03:02:41 pm »
There will be quite a few monocolor legendary creatures in Commander Legends with partner, there are 12 in the current revealed cards: https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type%3Alegendary+set%3Acmr+rarity%3Au. I think there will 4 or five in each color eventually. If you can combine these with prismatic puper you will have quite few option available to you.

I have been thinking about making an easy cube since this topic. I think I will make an 'uncommonder cube'. A small cube for drafting with a maximum of 4 people with all the commons and uncommons of Commander Legends. That should be 120 + 141 cards = 261 cards with 44 legendary creatures (see: https://scryfall.com/search?q=set%3Acmr+r%3Au+t%3Alegendary&as=grid&order=set&dir=asc) that can be combined in different ways too.

When I add a few extra mana sources (a few evolving wilds, commandtowers, arcane signets and one or two cycles of tapped dual lands) to get to 300 cards and a 'house rule' that all multicolor uncommon commanders have partner with a card with partner to make three color decks possible. I think that lead to fun games.

Do you think this could work? It would be quite budget to make a cube like this and I think it would be fairly balanced.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 04:07:36 pm by paulusdeboself »

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2020, 05:42:35 pm »
There will be quite a few monocolor legendary creatures in Commander Legends with partner, there are 12 in the current revealed cards: https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type%3Alegendary+set%3Acmr+rarity%3Au. I think there will 4 or five in each color eventually. If you can combine these with prismatic puper you will have quite few option available to you.

I have been thinking about making an easy cube since this topic. I think I will make an 'uncommonder cube'. A small cube for drafting with a maximum of 4 people with all the commons and uncommons of Commander Legends. That should be 120 + 141 cards = 261 cards with 44 legendary creatures (see: https://scryfall.com/search?q=set%3Acmr+r%3Au+t%3Alegendary&as=grid&order=set&dir=asc) that can be combined in different ways too.

When I add a few extra mana sources (a few evolving wilds, commandtowers, arcane signets and one or two cycles of tapped dual lands) to get to 300 cards and a 'house rule' that all multicolor uncommon commanders have partner with a card with partner to make three color decks possible. I think that lead to fun games.

Do you think this could work? It would be quite budget to make a cube like this and I think it would be fairly balanced.

Yea dude, sounds good. The draft environment for Commander Legends has been pretty universally praised from what I've seen in pre-releases and what not so focusing on that set is probably a good shout. Should be pretty well balanced straight off the bat.

I actually built a commander cube about 18 months ago (which I have since dismantled again to build new decks as paper drafting in person has been tricky this year). One word of advice I can offer from my own experiences (and the Commander Legends draft does the same thing) is to make sure that when you are sorting the cube in to packs, ensure that each pack has at least one, probably two, commander(s) in. You can't just rely on people coming across them naturally in the drafting process.

Good luck with it though dude. Sounds like a super fun idea. I hope it works out for you.

GamerAwsome101

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 01:51:25 am »
I had a similar deck idea but for modern or pioneer, it was a 3 color 22 land base 1 primary color 23 cards  1 secondary color of 15 cards side board was the third color so if your deck didnt do well just color swap so it works like white black to white red
i like platypuses

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 07:25:19 am »
Good luck with it though dude. Sounds like a super fun idea. I hope it works out for you.

https://deckstats.net/decks/104951/1810520-uncommonder-legends

It should be like this. I bought a box of Commander Legends, so I'll have allmost all of the commons. I think I will buy a set for the uncommons, I can get them for about € 25,- including shipping on cardmarket. That would be the easyist way.

So if any of you have any recommendations on how to play, draft or change the landbase, please let me know.

p

• Decks
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 08:31:13 pm »
Regarding the double partner commander, I think it's technically illegal, but Rule 0's a thing and I don't think anyone will care too much about 2 3/3's at 5cmc. However,  I think that this is a very cool Idea, because there's what, like 10 different combinations, more if you make multiple halves of the same color.

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 12:43:08 am »

If using the same commander twice really is prohibited, you'll have to change the rules anyway. So why not doing it like this?

The rules would not have to be changed with 2 Prismatic Pipers, just the player would only be able to cast out 1 at a time (without needing to sacrifice one of them).  The two Pipers are still tracked separately in terms of commander tax, commander damage, or any other effect that would matter.  I would imagine in this format there are going to be LOTS of games where a Piper is never even cast from the Command Zone.  You are just using them to unlock the color combos. 

Depending on the color combos you drew, a second piper could be useful for a forced Sacrifice (death effects, escape abilities, etb effects).    I don't see why anyone would need 2 unique Pipers cast at the same time...

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 01:08:07 am »

If using the same commander twice really is prohibited, you'll have to change the rules anyway. So why not doing it like this?

The rules would not have to be changed with 2 Prismatic Pipers, just the player would only be able to cast out 1 at a time (without needing to sacrifice one of them).  The two Pipers are still tracked separately in terms of commander tax, commander damage, or any other effect that would matter.  I would imagine in this format there are going to be LOTS of games where a Piper is never even cast from the Command Zone.  You are just using them to unlock the color combos. 

Depending on the color combos you drew, a second piper could be useful for a forced Sacrifice (death effects, escape abilities, etb effects).    I don't see why anyone would need 2 unique Pipers cast at the same time...
I assume they meant changing the rules as in, you can't have more than 1 of a card in your deck. For example, you couldn't have 2 Thrasios, Triton Hero as your commanders, even though they have partner.

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2020, 01:10:13 am »
Oh, duh... yeah.   I misread 'Singleton' as 'Legendary' obviously.  My bad!  :-[