deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: OK, I've had an idea for Prismatic Piper  (Read 3781 times)

MonteTribal

• Decks
Re: OK, I've had an idea for Prismatic Piper
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2020, 03:26:06 am »
I really like this idea. It sounds like a fun quick pick up and play.

If you can balance each stack of cards to work with each other, that would be super cool too. Like black has a nice discard and sacrifice package. The green has some Wild Mongrel like cards, which function on their own but are strong with the synergy. And Blue has when ~ dies, draw some cards kinda stuff. Just as an example.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2020, 10:44:04 am »
I had my first game with this...I dunno what to call it...Deck? Series of piles of cards smooshed together in random orders?

Whatever it is, I played it the other night and it was a lot of fun. It was exactly what I wanted it to be.

I've set it up so there is a stack of 20 universal colourless cards in a little deck box, and then I have 5 deck boxes each containing 40 cards of their respective colour. That way it's a nice easy split with easy numbers. I've even gone so far as to ensure each mini deck uses my favourite basic art because I'm running so few utility lands and want to take advantage of having everything matching and pretty.

The individual deck boxes make it incredible easy to randomise. I can just throw them around without fear of knocking over a pile or revealing what's inside.

At the moment, I'm running an appropriate partner commander for each colour. They're all uncommon ones so as to ensure there are no feelbads regardless of what colour I pick (I pulled a Kamahl in my sealed pool but he is significantly better than all the other commanders for each colour so I didn't want to end up in a position where if I don't choose green the deck is noticeably worse).

Halana, Kessig Ranger
Keskit, the Flesh Sculptor
Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator
Prava of the Steel Legion
Dargo, the Shipwrecker

For the game the other night, I randomised my boxes, had an opponent select two at random, shuffled them together and looked.

Golgari. Fucking sweet.

It was exactly as I had hoped. Those few moments between shuffling up and taking a look at my hand, then finally knowing what the colours were, were super fun.

The deck was fun too. There is a loose creature based theme running through each deck so there were some surprise synergies to be had along the way.

For example, playing a Deep Forest Hermit, letting it get down to one vanishing counter, sacrificing it and two squirrels to Keskit to draw some cards, then casting animate dead on the hermit, so now I have more squirrels that are buffed for longer. A synergy between the two colours chosen at random.

Hopefully playing it again later on in the week too. As people seem quite interested and enthused by my silly idea, I'll report back then too.

STARBREAKER111

• Decks
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2020, 01:48:11 pm »
Could you share the decklist, I am quite curious as to what each color contains.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2020, 02:24:52 pm »
Could you share the decklist, I am quite curious as to what each color contains.

Yea dude, for sure.

This is the decklist as it currently exists on deckstats:

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/1798361-jumpstart-edh-deck

It's not 100% accurate, but it's close enough to give you an idea of what is going on.

The basic premise is to flood the board with creatures by playing creatures who create tokens when they enter the battlefield. Then each respective colour has its own way of taking advantage of these things. There are more details in the deck description.

When I get time, I'll go through the decks and get them fully up to date and share again, but for now this should be reasonably close.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2020, 02:27:45 pm »
The deck was fun too. There is a loose creature based theme running through each deck so there were some surprise synergies to be had along the way.

For example, playing a Deep Forest Hermit, letting it get down to one vanishing counter, sacrificing it and two squirrels to Keskit to draw some cards, then casting animate dead on the hermit, so now I have more squirrels that are buffed for longer. A synergy between the two colours chosen at random.
That's super wild. Congrats on making it work, I was kinda expecting it to be too difficult overall, but you did it.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2020, 03:01:35 pm »

That's super wild. Congrats on making it work, I was kinda expecting it to be too difficult overall, but you did it.

Thanks dude. I'll admit, I wasn't expecting it to be quite so synergistic straight out of the gate. Obviously one game is hardly reflective of its long term feasibility, but it was definitely a positive start. Felt very much like playing cube or jumpstart, which is what I was after. Finding those synergies between cards you didn't know you had until you had them. I'm looking forward to playing it some more and seeing what the other colour ways have to offer.

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2020, 03:57:03 pm »
I love the idea of this project. I do worry that so many staples of a two color deck have dual color cmc's to cast them. A lot of the time, a monoblue, goodstuff deck will look way different than the black cards in a Dimir deck, for example. You'd have to put a lot of thought into just what "goodstuff" cards you included. Monoblack and monogreen goodstuff excluded; those cards work mostly anywhere.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2020, 09:32:45 pm »
This is basically rhe MTG version of Smash-Up, which is a great game on its own. I can imagine that it would be dope in mtg if done correctly

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2020, 12:14:37 am »
Played a few more games tonight.

One thing is becoming increasingly clear. The piles need more interaction. Going to be swapping out a few of the worse token generations for some more interactive spells, particularly in green.

Played Simic. It was pretty bad, but variance being what it is, I wont change it too much until I've had chance to play it a few more times and see if it does any better.

Also played Izzet and holy shit it was AMAZING.

I had so much fun. Turns out Malcolm and Dargo are actually pretty sweet together even outside of pirate tribal. Getting Malcolm out, generating a few treasures and using them to get Dargo out for 1 mana feels real good.

Managed to close out the game and tick off one of my "Commander bucket list" achievements by casting Descent of the Dragons with Warstorm Surge out, killing a bunch of goblin tokens and turning them into dragons. Life was good.

TropicalBoi

• Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica
  • Decks
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2020, 12:15:14 am »
Ugh, I've been trying to do this for weeks with no success, there are just too many ways to go with the Piper! I tried artifacts, like they did on CCO podcast, I tried tokens, I tried aristocrats, I've tried everything!! I get bored every time I try to make a new stack of 30ish cards for each color. This deck looks like fun tho, great job lol.