deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: OK, I've had an idea for Prismatic Piper  (Read 3774 times)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
OK, I've had an idea for Prismatic Piper
« on: October 28, 2020, 10:56:56 am »
So a deck headed by two prismatic pipers. We have a stack of like 10-15 "any deck" cards (sol ring, arcane signet, command tower etc.).

Then 5 mono coloured piles of 40ish cards. Before each game, you shuffle two of the piles chosen at random together and make a deck. It's kind of jump start for commander.

My playgroup isn't a bunch of whiny babies so they won't mind that I don't announce the colours before hand and that I'll only know what colour combination I'm playing when I draw my opening hand.

So I need to make the piles.

The black one is easy for me.

Given this objective, what kind of cards would you include for each colour? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
Re: OK, I've had an idea for Prismatic Piper
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 11:08:02 am »
Off-topic question:

Are you allowed to play the same partner-commander a second time??  ???
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 11:18:21 am »
Off-topic question:

Yea I think so. I can't find the source, but I saw someone ask Gavin Verhey that question on twitter and I'm 95% certain he said yes.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 11:20:52 am »
Off-topic question:

Yea I think so. I can't find the source, but I saw someone ask Gavin Verhey that question on twitter and I'm 95% certain he said yes.

I haven't found a valid source of information either. My guess would've been you are not allowed because it would violate the singleton rule of the commander format.
Quote: '702.123b Your deck must contain exactly 100 cards, including its two commanders. Both commanders begin the game in the command zone.'

I'll keep searching.

Edit:
I just found a discussion on reddit targeting the same question. Sadly, there is no definite rule stated but the answer was the same as mine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/59i9kn/what_happens_if_i_use_two_partner_commanders_that/

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:49:54 am by Akira Foxmind »
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 11:37:33 am »
Maybe what I saw was specifically for draft. Now that you mention it, that sounds familiar.

It doesn't really matter for the sake of my purposes as my playgroup won't care, but definitely worth highlighting.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 11:50:40 am »
Sorry, if my editing the post afterwards is confusing  ::)

Back to topic:

Since commander is a format which can be costumized pretty easy, why not giving any mono colored commander the 'partner' ability instead of using Prismatic Piper to have some divergence between them?
If using the same commander twice really is prohibited, you'll have to change the rules anyway. So why not doing it like this?

As for card choices: (not naming complete lists)

I would try to have the main pieces of a commander deck in each color included and not focusing each color on the cards they have the most of (means green being ramp only, black removal only etc.).
Could look like this:

Removal:
White - Swords to Plowshares, Banishing Light, Path to Exile
Blue    - Pongify, Rapid Hybridization, Frogify
Black   - way to much examples
Red     - Chaos Warp, Wild Swing
Green - Beast Within, Ram Through, Rabid Bite

The lack of mass removal in some colors can be compensated with colorless alternatives. (Nevinyrral's Disk)

And then doing the same for carddraw and ramp. Trying to have a more or less even ratio in each section for each color.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 12:06:23 pm »
The problem with using a mono coloured commander and just giving it partner is it limits me to at least one colour. What I'm hoping to achieve is a deck that could be selesnya one time, rakdos another, izzet another, gruul another etc. Prismatic piper is the way that offers this with the smallest amount of rule breaking. People are less likely to care about breaking the rules if it amounts to two yseless vanilla creatures. They aren't going to win me the game unfairly.

Your idea of ratios is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the suggestions.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 12:14:20 pm »
Just to make clear:

Do you want to build one or several cardpiles/boosters/packs for each color so that you'd have also a variance in each color?
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 12:21:28 pm »
To start with I'm going to focus on one pile per colour. I think the random mix of two colours will provide enough variance to start with and I can add more piles later if I feel it's necessary.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 01:11:11 pm »
I thought of some alternative commanders for your project:

Morophon, the Boundless or Ramos, Dragon Engine would both provide 5-color-identities and won't suffer from only 2 colors being available.
A third option is Golos, Tireless Pilgrim but you wouldn't be able to use his ability.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 01:11:35 pm »
Your decks will be a bit generic if you do it that way. You should have a theme per colour and those themes should have some common denominators so that you're not completely lost with goodstuff black cards mashed together with white goodstuff cards. Which brings me to my next point: why not just take five monocoloured partner commanders and shuffle those up before the game to see what you get? You'd have a coherent plan for each colour.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 01:35:54 pm »
I agree that you would need a coherent identity for each color that mixes well with the dual color decks. I think something like this would be cool:

White: Tokens (maybe anthems too)
Blue: Tempo, and somewhat combat-damage focused (think Bident of Thassa)
Black: Aristocrats (obviously)
Red: Aggro, might be hard to pull of in EDH, but I'm thinking maybe sort of like a weenie Subira, Tulsidi Caravaneer deck?
Green: Ramp, mana dorks, etc.

Obviously, it won't be perfect, but the identity of the dual decks might end up like this:
White/Blue: Evasive creatures that use the card advantage of blue to tempo their opponents out of the game.
White/Black: Obviously, aristocrats strategy fueled by white's tokens.
White/Red: Also, sort of aggressive, but you lack the card advantage of blue and instead gain cards like Raid Bombardment/Torbran, Thane of Red Fell to do a lot of damage with white's tokens.
White/Green: Just overwhelm the board. Secure the Wastes/White Sun's Zenith are already good token creators, including one or both of them to take advantage of green's ramp could be good. If you include Coffers + Urborg in the black part, you might even be able to cast them for giant in Orzhov, too.
Blue/Black: I'm not quite sure here, honestly. I think it will be really difficult to come up with decks that work with every combination. Idk.
Blue/Red: Sort of like white/red, you just have less cards and more up front damage.
Blue/Green: Ramp of green + card advantage of blue is a match made in heaven.
Black/Red: Similar to White/Black, except you get more of the damage you are dealing through attacking, not Blood Artist effects.
Black/Green: Yet another deck that feels a little disjointed. I can see it working more than Black/Blue, but it still feels a little wack.
Red/Green: Take red's aggro and pump it up a few notches with green's ramp. Big aggro.

Most of everything I just said was stream of thought, and the overall impression I get is that your decks will likely devolve into some kind of aggro deck with various benefits. Even more, a lot of the time, your combo won't feel cohesive.

Hope my brainstorming helps.

Schau

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 01:43:07 pm »
why not just take five monocoloured partner commanders and shuffle those up before the game to see what you get? You'd have a coherent plan for each colour.
I think his reasoning behind this is because he doesn't want his playgroup to know what colors he is playing before he plays a land.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 01:54:57 pm »
Yea the element of surprise is definitely part of what I want to achieve, but I can do that just by keeping the commanders turned down until the big reveal.

I quite like the idea of a partner for each colour. If legends provides a suitable option for each colour I think I'll go with it. Especially as it means I won't be breaking the rules as Akira pointed out.

I definitely want it to be more than just five piles of good stuff. I want it to feel like a cube, where no matter what two colours you end up in provide synergy within a certain archetype.

So blue red could be spells, but the blue spells are control/tempo based so blue white ends up control, and the white creatures create tokens on ETB so blink is doable, but also green white tokens etc.

Exactly what archetypes are included will be determined by what mono partner commanders end up getting selected now that we're hopeful for that idea.

Thanks for your insights guys. Feels like a work in progress but I have a much better idea of what I want it to look like in the end.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 02:03:49 pm by CleanBelwas »

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 07:01:10 pm »
There will be quite a few monocolor legendary creatures in Commander Legends with partner, there are 12 in the current revealed cards: https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type%3Alegendary+set%3Acmr+rarity%3Au. I think there will 4 or five in each color eventually. If you can combine these with prismatic puper you will have quite few option available to you.